PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I'm currently working on my first fantasy novel, and was curious if anyone else on the forums likes to write. Has anyone ever been published or completed a short story, or novel, or... whatever?

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
I am currently finishing my first pass edit of my SciFi novel, and shopping for an editor(which is a task in and of itself), before sending it off to some beta readers for feedback. Hope to publish around July.

Good luck with your book!

-PM

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks, politicalmonster. Same to you. Are you going to self publish? Or are you looking for a publisher? I think I'm going to try finding a publisher and have it published in book form. I'm an old fashioned read my book by turning the paper pages with my fingers kind of guy, and intend my book to be just that. Not much for the digital ebook craze. How about you?
rotchefeller, I do a bit of music myself.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I’m a screenwriter with two spinning round the circuit, and three in various stages. I also read and write coverage for screenplays and books. IMO self-publish through Amazon and do your homework of social networking. Contests are big but political, and a $1.00 option to screenwriters is also a way to go. Fantasy is always good for screenplays, but hard to sell because of cost. It really has to be ground shaking, the story and characters have to be unique.

Craig

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
Wrote a technical book many years ago, long out of print, on Ancient Oil Lamps of the Mediterranean (Levant). Otherwise, just several articles of archaeological intrest. I do not write much any more except these posts....Yes, I have become relatively boring!

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Two books of poetry published by good presses. I have also ghost-written a book. And when I was a technical writer, I wrote three or four books a year. Currently working on short stories and another book of poems.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm not sure about self publishing dragonslayer (love the name by the way)but I'm not about to rule it out either. My book is my baby and I want to see it soar, so I'm going to fight for the best for it. I thought I'd get some replies on this thread, but not quite as many. I guess writing and pipe smoking do go hand in hand. That is partly why I took up the pipe in the first place. Some great authors have smoked pipes. I may as well be one of them. :)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've actually got two books. If you've ever wanted to learn how to read Tarot cards, without having to engage all the New Age gobbledygook, pick up my book Hard Core Tarot. It will teach you both Tarot and basic Numerology and you will be able to read for people with some practice in a couple of weeks.
My other book, as Lawrence mentioned is Brew or Die and it will give you the basics in learning to brew your own Mead, Country Wines and Liqueurs.
Both are Available on Amazon and qualify for Prime and Free Shipping if you buy both.
I'm self-published through Createspace and I totally reccommend it for DIY writers starting out. Nothing like getting royalties from your own creations.

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
This is an interesting thread. I write/edit movie scripts and screenplays for one of the six major American film studios. Been tossing around a novel for a little over 2 years but no takers just yet. To fill the time worked on some children's stories and illustrations under a pseudo name. That was actually quite fun! :puffpipe:

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I'm a professional writer/journalist who has published several thousand articles in newspapers around the country, via the Associated Press and Scripps Howard wire services. Pretty much all of my published output, thus far, has been journalism.

Unfortunately, my pancreas decided to start packing it in a couple of year ago and I had to take a very, very early medical retirement/disability route.

I am currently working on a novel, a non-fiction book, and some short stories in the hopes of "making it" as an author of books rather than as a journalist, or perhaps somehow combining the two. When it comes to fiction, most of my output is in the horror/sci-fi genres although my novel is actually a crime story (I was a crime/courts reporter, so it's not as great a deviation from my normal subject matter as might be supposed).

I wish you the best with your book! I read quite a bit of fantasy even though I don't write much of it. It's a very crowded field, but a great deal of high-quality material is being published these days. Out of curiosity, which authors do you prefer?

Jan 8, 2013
I've got a few favorites, doctorhoss. Tolkien of course must be mentioned, and Robert Jordan. Dennis McKiernan is a favorite, Terry Brooks, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, David Eddings... another pipe smoker. Those are a few great writers in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.