Australian Pipe Smokers: Help a mate out?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baines

Lurker
Jul 25, 2014
I just arrived about a month ago to Brisbane from the States. I am trying to get a handle on how best to supply my TAD, and to see if anybody is in the area who wants to have a bowl some time.
I've seen on several previous threads that ordering from the US (4Noggins especially) seems to be the way to go. But since those posts are more than a year old, is this still the case? Is customs more strict as of late? I just brought in what I could with my wife's and my duty free allowances (100 grams total).
More importantly perhaps, anybody in the area that might want to share a bowl? I live in Nundah, and am pretty much stuck with using public transit as I don't have a car.
Thanks for your help, I'm really loving it here minus the whole tobacco nanny state stuff.

twistie

Lurker
Aug 24, 2012
G'day baines
Yeah 4noggins is still good or smokingpipes. I usually get about a pound at a time when I order and mostly gets into Sydney where I live without interference. Sometimes not, but when that happens I just cop it sweet and pay the duty when they send me the bill.
You might find some fellow pipers in Qld on the Australian Pipe Smokers group in yahoo who might be interested in havin' a smoke with ya!
If ya get desperate, you'll probably be able to find some Erinmore Flake/Mixture at a local tobacconist but it'll set you back around $45 to $50.
Welcome to Oz anyways.
Cheers,

Jyri

baines

Lurker
Jul 25, 2014
G'day Jyri!
Thanks for the reply. Are there any blends here that may be hard to find elsewhere? If I ever get to Sydney I'll send you a message!
Best,

Ryan

twistie

Lurker
Aug 24, 2012
Hi Ryan
If you want something unavailable elsewhere then Dr Pat Irish Mixture is the blend to try. I can't say that I particularly liked it, but it is worth giving it a go, just for the experience haha. It's a blend that you'll either love or hate. You should be able to pick it up in some tobacconists but it can be hit or miss what blends they stock. Sometimes the only pipe tobacco tobacconists stock is Borkum Riff.
If you're lucky you might find some Gallahers Plug tobacco which I haven't tried but is probably better than Dr Pat, but I'm not sure it can be found these days, now that we've transitioned to plain packaging.
Best tobacconists to source tobacco online in Australia is probably either Cignall Frankston in Victoria http://www.tobaccoblends.com.au or Sol Levy in Sydney http://sollevytobacconist.com.au/ Expect to pay extortionate prices due to the Government liking to pick the pockets of smokers in this country.
If you ever get to Sydney I'd be happy to meet up. Please do join the Yahoo Australian Pipe Smokers Group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/australianpipesmokers/info Should be a few fellow pipers up north that might like to meet up with ya as well.
Cheers,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.