Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Australian pipe smokers?

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

panny

Login to Send PM

Hey there everyone.

Are there any aussie pipe smokers here? Just wondering where everyone buy's there tobacco from. I live close to cignall in frankston which has a great range of tobacco but due to our bs tax laws the $92 a tin is way too steep for me. I tried ordering through 4noggins but unfortunately it looks like customs has nabbed it since I haven't got an update since the 30th of jan.

I've really been enjoying this hobby I like the way it forces you to slow down and think or u end up burning too hot and losing all flavour. I kinda see it as a form of mindfulness haha

So if there is any aussies out there that know any ways to get affordable tobacco I would love to know.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Panny, welcome to the forums! I had the opportunity to travel to Australia several years ago. We did Sydney, Uluru, Cairns, and Brisbane. Beautiful country you have down there.

Regarding fellow pipers, I think there was a thread about Australian pipe smokers a while back. I think I found it while digging around for the Secret Santa exchange. I'm not sure there are too many though.

$92 a tin? Yikes that makes Canadian prices seem reasonable!

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

soutso

Login to Send PM

I bought a 50g tin of Davidoff English mixture in Double Bay, Sydney for $129.00
    Yes Australian pricing ... sucks
    Panny I'll send you a PM

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

panny

Login to Send PM

Thx mate. Yeah beautiful country just the people in charge of it that is the problem lol

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the Forums!

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know exactly what the exchange rate is, but those prices per tin are unreal. Under those circumstances, I'd own one pipe and smoke once a month or every two.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I'm never complaining about paying $60 for a pound of ODF ever again...

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One Aussie dollar is almost one Canadian dollar. Yikes!

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

panny

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was half the price of my first tin! All our tins are blank as well we're not even alllowed to enjoy the pretty pictures on the tins lol nanny state is understatement!

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. anthony416

anthony416

Login to Send PM

I live in Sydney and yes it is a sad state of affairs here regarding pipe tobacco. A few years back, orders from O/S would be stopped at customs say 50% of the time but now it seems that most orders get stopped (even a single 50g tin) and it gets hit with tobacco duty (more that $950 a kg from memory) then a duty on the cost of postage (10%?) and then when you have that nice total they add another 10% GST tax!

So yes a tin will cost over $100! That Double Bay example is a bit high but here in Sydney that suburb is nicknamed Double Pay because of the many rich folk living there and the retailers charging what the market will bear.

Just try the small order method and keep fingers crossed, sometimes a pouch of tobacco in a padded envelope may attract less attention than a tin in a cardboard box but it really is a roll of the dice.

If you have a friend travelling O/S they can maybe bring back a tin or two?

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

Yeah I live in Australia at the moment. I am saying at the moment because I have a good idea of where I will be living soon mainly due to tobacco situation.

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

panny

Login to Send PM

I would have thought if it was labeled as lose leaf tea and put in a discrete resealable bag it would have a high % of getting through? Got a friend going there soon so I'll have to give it a try. Will report back if I have any luck.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Joe Blow

Login to Send PM

Stellar idea! Let's go to a public forum and openly discuss ways to package and ship regulated and taxable items in order to avoid duties and taxes !!
    Brilliant! A true community service!

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, redglow, supdog, trubka2, jaytex969, jcdarin, winton, alaskanpiper