PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Who was able to see the aurora borealis this week after the big solar storm on the sun? And what is your location? Not sure if it would have been seen as far south as I am but we had a thin cloud cover that could have concealed it anyway. I was able to see a small, short display several yrs ago.
How about the solar eclipse & the super moon? Anyone see it?
Please post any photos. Warren, I'll bet you have some great ones thru the yrs.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
As I understand it, the solar eclipse was only visible from Europe and Asia, and the super moon could not been seen from Earth as the moon phase was a 'new moon'.
Nonetheless, if anyone got any pictures of the northern light display, I too would love to see them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Would have been a great moment to have been in a location to see that. Despite many wonderful aspects, central North Carolina's altitude and climate, plus being in a city, most often obliterate any glimpse we might have of borealis, eclipses, comets and other celestial phenomenon. We do have starry nights, and the coast, and especially the Blue Ridge Mountains, offer some opportunities to see the heavens at night. But from here, the great opportunities are usually met with heavy overcast.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's damned cold! Two days ago the lights put on quite a display. One of my shooter friends stayed up all night, for both nights, got some great shots and then went home and slept all day. I was out during the day shooting sheep and eagles. Got some great shots too and was a bit warmer than she was. She shoots everything. I shoot wildlife.
If I was driving somewhere and the lights appeared, I'd probably set up and shoot if I had dark sky. I can't shoot them at the house as the sky is too small, the mountains and the trees only give me a small window. The vista is towards the city so light pollution makes shooting the Aurora almost impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.