PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddy2mbng

Lurker
Oct 29, 2016
Willmar, MN
Evening everyone!
I am returning to pipe smoking and have a couple of MM's ordered (country gentleman straight and bent) along with some Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake. Will only use the straight pipe for my aromatics (wife loves them) and keep my bent for my regular tobacco.
But here is my question: What are your options of buying pipes at an auction? Here in MN we have all kinds of auctions where some old farmer has a box full of them and I never know if i is worth the $$$ or not. Usually there are not many people trying to buy the pipes, etc.
What would constitute a "good used pipe"?
Any thoughts?
PS - Glad I found you all here in one place!

May 4, 2015
In my early days, I acquired pipes just to have X # of pipes, wasting (albeit small amounts, relatively) money along the way.
I'd buy pipes from reputable dealers until you have an idea of what you're looking for - shapes, brands, etc. before going for lots like that.
But that's just me.
Good choices on the cobs, BTW and welcome!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
If I were in your position, I'd look for pipes that were not in such condition I couldn't repair them.
Look at the pipe overall and check for cracks or large dark spots that might indicate the bowl is burning through.

If the stem doesn't fit right, is broken or has large holes in the bit and you don't think you could fix it, pass it up.
Don't worry about cosmetic stuff so much. A scratched or worn finish can be sanded and restained. Large carbon deposits in the bowl and on the rim can be cleaned up.
For just a unstamped, no name estate pipe I wouldn't pay more than ten bucks each if they are in passable condition.
The best advice I could give you though, is to do more research. Read these forums. Look at estate pipes on ebay to get and idea what you might run across out there at those auctions. Don't spend too much until you have a good idea of what you are looking at.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
As long as the price is right, and the pipes are not destroyed. Go for them it will take a bit of elbow grease to get some of them in shape again. If they look rough or not your liking pass, but keep a eye out for some of the high end names, you can always resell if they are decent. Then go and buy what you really want.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Welcome. If you know anything of cleaning, sanitizing and restoring to smoking condition then this might be a great deal. If your willing to try then pick up a lot/box of pipes and use these as practice, learn how to do the required work i.e. remove chatter, salt bath, retort, stem cleaning and over all polishing and check the end results with a smoke.

unclescot

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Okay, as far as auction pipes go (eBay)...where on here could I post an eBay pipe I just got and get opinions on if I did well or got cornholed? The reason I ask is because of this one, which I bought just because it looks purdy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Just start a new thread under the "Pipe Talk" heading. And your image didn't show up, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.