Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
For someone who would love to be around pipes and happens to be a ColdFusion developer this would be the absolute dream job...
https://www.smokingpipes.com/information/jobs/jobinfo.cfm?job_id=3

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
My gawd, a job that for a requirement states "Please do not apply if you are unable or unwilling to work in a smoking environment." I'd take a cut in pay for that alone.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I watched a video of the Mac Baren factory and they went in the office where everyone had a Pipe in his mouth. Wow, that's my kind of job. I remember the old days when anyone could light up at his work place. Awe, the good ol'days.
I wish I knew ColdFusion. Does that mean I'd have to work at 88 miles an hour?

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Note to self; make time machine, go back in time and become a programmer.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I honestly think they're low on a $48K offer for a developer able to accomplish the keywords in their programming needs. Maybe a kid out of school, but steep learning curve from what I'm reading, weeks of just determining their proprietary interface. I was paying $50K to my top programmers in the 90's. Plus the whole smoke thing...

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
My gawd, a job that for a requirement states "Please do not apply if you are unable or unwilling to work in a smoking environment." I'd take a cut in pay for that alone.
Heck ya!

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Average pay for "computer programmers" was about 77k in 2011 (national average). Other similar titles, like database admin, or web designer were in the $77-$80k range.
25%ile was $55k

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Guys, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics states that for our area (Little River, SC,) $45K annually is quite competitive. Paired with an awesome health plan and a really nice EOY Bonus, we think that an offer that straddles the middle depending on experience is an attractive one. A killer employee discount on pipes and pipe tobacco is also a nice little perk. And if you don't want to be around pipe smoke...... then I scratch my head at you.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Ted, no doubt it's a dream job.
If I was a computer dude, Id be there in a heartbeat.
Ps, I love the little river store. My wife's grandparents own a condo there, and any time we are there, you bet I stop by Lowcountry every day!

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
I work in IT, and 48k / decent benefits for coding in a dead platform (ColdFusion) in Little River, SC is probably good enough for a young buck coming out of college and a competitive salary for entry level programmers. Obviously for programming as a skill in a more general sense, it's quite low. I think that the perks of the job probably outweigh the low salary, though.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
You got it, Ted.
Bill and Vinny got me into Padrons amd sold me a great savoy humidor that I have stuffed now.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya the pay is low for sure, but............I would consider it if there were an added incentive, such as...well, let's just say, maybe a new Dunhill every couple months or so. hahahahahhaha

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
the pay is low for a senior guy with the qualifications they want.
the benefits (other than the smoking) are minimum at best.
with the job market being what it is they might get lucky for cheap.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
One of the big problems with programmers is that 1 out of 10 can do the work of the other 9 combined. That's just what programming is like. This isn't just running ColdFusion, this includes real time database integration, POS with god knows what patchwork scripting that's been done over the last 10 years. If there asking for a senior position that in my mind is THE programmer, everyone else is just entering data. I wouldn't trust any out of school programmers, to waste time and money patching it up. You hire a programmer to come in, he changes everything to his way of thinking, then gets a better job offer. You get a kid with a 2.9 out of school and he'll more than likely screw it up for a month before it gets back to where it was. The problem with programmers is they are always looking for another job. That’s why you pay them enough to keep them. They have all the secrets to what they’ve done, and then you find yourself right back where you started.

Advice:

Get a top shelf programmer, chart out what you need, give him everything you have and $75K, 2 months later he’ll come back with an amazing system that a junior college computer science graduate could maintain. You could get him for $25K, give him the phone number of the real programmer and he’ll never leave.
Programmer and head babysitter for programmers (retired);

Craig

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I worked for a large avionics company several years ago doing flight software. My job was outsourced over seas to India, and I was laid off. About two years later I was hired back as a contractor at twice the salary, on my terms, to redo everything they had done. You can't put a price on quality and "tribal" knowledge. Its like choosing to buy a tool at Harbor Freight to save money. In the end you will wind up buying the quality tool and spend more in the end. Like I tell my boys, "Buy cheap, buy twice."
:puffpipe:

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
As a resident of SC, what they are offering isn't out of line. The cost of living here is quite a bit lower than most places. I do graphic design and my salary isn't near what it would be in a larger market. Plus considering that a pipe shop even offers a health plan? If I were a programmr as oppossed to being a graphics nerd, I'd be all over this gig. And that part of the state is quite lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.