Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Attn: Programmers - Open position at Smokingpipes.com/Laudisi

(24 posts)
  1. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

For someone who would love to be around pipes and happens to be a ColdFusion developer this would be the absolute dream job...

https://www.smokingpipes.com/information/jobs/jobinfo.cfm?job_id=3

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My gawd, a job that for a requirement states "Please do not apply if you are unable or unwilling to work in a smoking environment." I'd take a cut in pay for that alone.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

I watched a video of the Mac Baren factory and they went in the office where everyone had a Pipe in his mouth. Wow, that's my kind of job. I remember the old days when anyone could light up at his work place. Awe, the good ol'days.

I wish I knew ColdFusion. Does that mean I'd have to work at 88 miles an hour?

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

chopsie

Login to Send PM

Note to self; make time machine, go back in time and become a programmer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I honestly think they're low on a $48K offer for a developer able to accomplish the keywords in their programming needs. Maybe a kid out of school, but steep learning curve from what I'm reading, weeks of just determining their proprietary interface. I was paying $50K to my top programmers in the 90's. Plus the whole smoke thing...

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I thought the same thing, Craig. It's possible that salary and benefits are negotiable though and it does depend on the work location. For example, a similar job in say Boston or NYC would demand significantly higher compensation.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My gawd, a job that for a requirement states "Please do not apply if you are unable or unwilling to work in a smoking environment." I'd take a cut in pay for that alone.

Heck ya!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the guys I worked with in the early 90's wouldn't even send a resume for $48k.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay guess I need to fluff up the old resume..cold fusion is at least easy to wrok with, and coding with a pipe in my mouth is one of my favorite pastimes

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoking at work is probably worth $20k

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Average pay for "computer programmers" was about 77k in 2011 (national average). Other similar titles, like database admin, or web designer were in the $77-$80k range.

25%ile was $55k

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. tedswearingen

tedswearingen

Friend of Ours

Login to Send PM

Guys, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics states that for our area (Little River, SC,) $45K annually is quite competitive. Paired with an awesome health plan and a really nice EOY Bonus, we think that an offer that straddles the middle depending on experience is an attractive one. A killer employee discount on pipes and pipe tobacco is also a nice little perk. And if you don't want to be around pipe smoke...... then I scratch my head at you.

Superior Service, Superior Quality, Superior Pipes - http://www.smokingpipes.com
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

As I noted, salary certainly depends where the job is.

As as Ted says, it's less in SC because cost of living is not as high in SC as many other places. The benefits for this particular position are also above average, some 'way above average, and many of the perks here are exceptional and probably don't exist elsewhere.

Again, any position is always negotiable, at least to some degree, by both the employer and the applicant, more or less, depending on what each brings to the table.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ted, no doubt it's a dream job.

If I was a computer dude, Id be there in a heartbeat.

Ps, I love the little river store. My wife's grandparents own a condo there, and any time we are there, you bet I stop by Lowcountry every day!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. tedswearingen

tedswearingen

Friend of Ours

Login to Send PM

Gray, next time you're in the shop ask for me!

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogglor

Login to Send PM

I work in IT, and 48k / decent benefits for coding in a dead platform (ColdFusion) in Little River, SC is probably good enough for a young buck coming out of college and a competitive salary for entry level programmers. Obviously for programming as a skill in a more general sense, it's quite low. I think that the perks of the job probably outweigh the low salary, though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You got it, Ted.

Bill and Vinny got me into Padrons amd sold me a great savoy humidor that I have stuffed now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ya the pay is low for sure, but............I would consider it if there were an added incentive, such as...well, let's just say, maybe a new Dunhill every couple months or so. hahahahahhaha

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the pay is low for a senior guy with the qualifications they want.

the benefits (other than the smoking) are minimum at best.

with the job market being what it is they might get lucky for cheap.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of the big problems with programmers is that 1 out of 10 can do the work of the other 9 combined. That's just what programming is like. This isn't just running ColdFusion, this includes real time database integration, POS with god knows what patchwork scripting that's been done over the last 10 years. If there asking for a senior position that in my mind is THE programmer, everyone else is just entering data. I wouldn't trust any out of school programmers, to waste time and money patching it up. You hire a programmer to come in, he changes everything to his way of thinking, then gets a better job offer. You get a kid with a 2.9 out of school and he'll more than likely screw it up for a month before it gets back to where it was. The problem with programmers is they are always looking for another job. That’s why you pay them enough to keep them. They have all the secrets to what they’ve done, and then you find yourself right back where you started.
    Advice:
    Get a top shelf programmer, chart out what you need, give him everything you have and $75K, 2 months later he’ll come back with an amazing system that a junior college computer science graduate could maintain. You could get him for $25K, give him the phone number of the real programmer and he’ll never leave.

Programmer and head babysitter for programmers (retired);
    Craig

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Craig I *LOVE* this:

One of the big problems with programmers is that 1 out of 10 can do the work of the other 9 combined.

My son was the North American IT Manager for Lionbridge in Boston for a few years (he's a professional chef now).

You, sir, hit it out of the park with your post -- "Pay me now, or pay me later" --

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I worked for a large avionics company several years ago doing flight software. My job was outsourced over seas to India, and I was laid off. About two years later I was hired back as a contractor at twice the salary, on my terms, to redo everything they had done. You can't put a price on quality and "tribal" knowledge. Its like choosing to buy a tool at Harbor Freight to save money. In the end you will wind up buying the quality tool and spend more in the end. Like I tell my boys, "Buy cheap, buy twice."

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. grafikchaos

grafikchaos

Login to Send PM

As a resident of SC, what they are offering isn't out of line. The cost of living here is quite a bit lower than most places. I do graphic design and my salary isn't near what it would be in a larger market. Plus considering that a pipe shop even offers a health plan? If I were a programmr as oppossed to being a graphics nerd, I'd be all over this gig. And that part of the state is quite lovely.

"Within the dark communion of self-awareness, there lies a void called ego. An endless fusion of stillness and chaos, to bring its death can bring rebirth!" - Nevermore
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd like to point one thing out, although I have no knowledge of the job or even the job field; Smokingpipes.com has the best prices on the net. I have done my comparisons and have rarely and possibly never found a tobacco cheaper anywhere else. I have never ordered a pipe from them but order tobacco a few times a year. Just sayin'....

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tbradsim1, hiplainsdrifter, ravkesef, condorlover1, michiganlover, ae1pt, beefeater33, beezer, meerschaummatt, retrogasm, warren, ssjones, andya27, briarfriar, eightywon, jd11