Attn Newbies - If I Had It To Do Over Again.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
9 Fresh Radice Pipes
96 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Almost three months ago I started smoking a pipe for the first time. I had never smoked anything in my life (it's the honest truth!), but I always enjoyed the room note of my uncle's pipes and thought I would give it a go. I thought I would post my learnings for any newbies who are just getting started like me. If you want to read my original post, it is here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/anything-i-am-missing-new-smoker-advice
As with all these things, everyone is different, so your mileage may vary. (Not saying what I experienced would be exactly the same for everyone - but if it helps you, here you go.)
What I think I did right:
- I bought a quality cob. At least for me, this has removed the worry of wrecking a good briar. My experience has been so good, that I will probably stick with a handful of cobs for the foreseeable future as there are other benefits which you can find described online.
- I bought small quantities of tobacco. OK, I only started with one, Lane BCA, but I bought a small amount and subsequently bought small amounts of other tobaccos to try. After BCA, I bought Prince Albert, C & D Pegasus, Peter Stokkebye PS17 English Luxury and 1-Q. My favorite 'learning tobacco' oddly enough is Prince Albert. My favorite 'relax and smoke' so far is 1-Q, though I like them all for different reasons and will likely change as my tastes develop.
- I didn't stress too bad on relights. I was not perfect and at one point I was about to give up, but in general I kept this advice up and front. If I had not, I would have certainly quit. I was pathetic in my first dozen or so bowls. Bad... bad... bad...
- I did not give up, I had fun and I kept learning. I have lurked a lot on this forum reading and there's a lot of stuff on YouTube. Of particular helpfulness for me at least was videos by Muttnchop Piper and SmokeRingsPipeRings. Forum materials and videos were the basis of my first post to this forum and I kept going back to them. In general, I would have a good bowl from time to time and it would recharge me in the fun department to come back again!
More importantly, what would I do differently?
- I would smoke more. Initially, I was only smoking a pipe every four or five days. The trouble with this is that I needed to practice a bit and experiment. If you wait too long, at least for my thick head it is almost like starting over. Now that I am a bit more practiced, the frequency is probably not important and I will probably settle in to be mostly a weekend and special occasion smoker.
- I would buy a shallower cob. My first MM cob was a 'Country Gentleman', which I loved. However, I found the deep bowl at least for me a bit harder to learn to pack than the bowl on the 'Washington Rob Roy'.
- I would not start with an aromatic. My first tobacco was Lane BCA and I like it. I was looking for something with good reviews, smokes cool and low nicotine. I also thought a decent room note would help my wife have a good first impression with my new hobby. However, I found BCA to be hard to learn to pack with. The batch I got was really damp, so I spent a lot of time learning how to dry it and smoke it without tongue bite. I went to Prince Albert and I found it a much easier starting tobacco and as I got experience, going back to BCA has been easier. Carter Hall would have been my second choice and I will still try it at some stage. BCA was just not good for me and in fact, I have since smoked 1-Q and found it easier than BCA. It might be just me, but I think picking a tobacco that is simple and hopefully fairly ready to smoke out of the tin, is a good strategy.
- I would buy a Zippo Pipe Lighter. - I wasted my money by buying a Jetline butane lighter at my local B & M. It cost me $15. It lasted about three weeks and died. Not the end of the world, but I think I would have been better off to go with the Zippo Pipe Lighter which is tested and tried, or kitchen matches. With time, I am of the opinion that I need to invest more on a good butane lighter if I really want one.
- I would pack lighter. - Yeah, I read that and tried it, but I still packed too heavy. I know it is a 'feel' thing and for me I realized I turned a corner when I 'sprinkled' the tobacco in by thirds for the pack. Obviously how dry the tobacco is and the relative humidity is a factor, but it starts with packing. The key word for me was 'sprinkle'. I still have more to learn about this, but wow... when it starts to click it is rewarding.
I think that is it. Like I said, what worked for me might not work for someone else. I have learned that pipe smoking is a very personal thing and as I read there are many different views on the 'right' way.
FINALLY AND MOST ULTIMATELY IMPORTANT: I should have started sooner. I really enjoy pipe smoking. It is rewarding and relaxing. I am glad I found this awesome community online to help me get the most out of it too!

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
If I could go back and try again I would have started with an English blend, I tried my first English ever and it was life changing

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Pipes are pretty good but I'd probably try something different. Perhaps cocaine and hookers.

Jul 25, 2019
Thanks very much for this docrameous. Some great info that I will definitely take on board. I am where you were around 3 months ago right now. I've ordered my first pipe and tobacco and am awaiting delivery!

Reactions: UncleRasta

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Also newbies stock up on every blend you hear people talking good about before 2020. You might not enjoy/understand the blends but you will and it would be a disaster for you never to have experienced them. Even if they never grow on you or age to a level that they finally appeal to you, you can always trade them away or sell them. If the end of McClelland’s or Dunhill tobaccos didn’t learn you a thing or two...there is my two cents

generalzod

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia
docrameous...
Great post. I'm currently on my 3rd go-round with pipes (within the last few years). The first two times I got frustrated and gave up. This time I'm committed to it and finally enjoying some success. I would agree with you on a number of items:
1. Start with a cob

2. Do not start with an aromatic
I would additionally stress two points:
1. Smoke the same tobacco day after a day. When you're learning, the two most complex variables will be packing and moisture. Smoking a different tobacco each day simply adds an unnecessary variable into the mix.

2. Err on the side of too dry, rather than too moist. However long you think you should dry your tobacco, dry it longer.
My one question for you would be on "packing lighter". Can you perhaps elaborate on what you've been doing that's working? Thanks in advance.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Great post for n00bs, I agree with the vast majority of it being a smoker of a few months now myself. I would agree that smoking one cheap (but representative of quality) tobacco of each type until you get the hang of smoking is good advice. I look back on a few bowls of Old Ashton's Artisan's Blend I burned through in the beginning and weep for the Syrian Latakia that was wasted on tongue bite and bowl destruction.
Also can't stress enough how helpful Muttnchop Piper was on youtube as well. The experts out there may not agree on all the subtleties in some of his videos, but for n00bs it is fantastic stuff. Do yourself a favor and set the playback speed to 1.5 though. Muttnchop seems like a great guy with great advice but God DAMN does that dude ever talk slowly!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Muttnchop Piper
I watched one of his videos out of curiosity a while back. He started telling me what a pipe smoker had to be and how one should act. :roll: Yeeeaaah, that got old very quickly.

Reactions: shanez

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Perhaps cocaine and hookers
I don't know, dude. I usually don't feel empty inside when I'm done with a pipe. Besides, those things are only cheaper in Australia and Canada :P
Also can't stress enough how helpful Muttnchop Piper was on youtube as well. The experts out there may not agree on all the subtleties in some of his videos, but for n00bs it is fantastic stuff. Do yourself a favor and set the playback speed to 1.5 though. Muttnchop seems like a great guy with great advice but God DAMN does that dude ever talk slowly!
I agree. Plus, there's just something about how sincere and straightforward he is that is kind of endearing to me.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I watched one of his videos out of curiosity a while back. He started telling me what a pipe smoker had to be and how one should act. :roll: Yeeeaaah, that got old very quickly.
That's probably somewhat out of the norm for him, but he can be a little "quirky". Sometimes all he does is play the mountain dulcimer or tell stories. Its odd. Most of his videos have good information for n00bs though, and he does seem truly sincere.
He is a character that's for sure.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Docrameous, ThankYou for taking time to share Your experience, lots of practical information there, @ AlaskanPiper, Good Ole Muttnchop Chris, I think many brand new pipers are finding his videos informative yet entertaining, quite a personality, Isn't he?Sometimes he may be going a little overboard, nonetheless never boring and he's a great asset in promoting pipesmoking 'Hobby

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I watched one of his videos out of curiosity a while back. He started telling me what a pipe smoker had to be and how one should act. [:roll:] Yeeeaaah, that got old very quickly.

Did you watch till the end, Embers?
He has one video in which he starts, very seriously, 'telling' you how you 'must' hold your pipe, smoke it, &c., &c., but he's actually decrying pipe snobbery. After a while he stops and tells you that all that is balooney.

Reactions: 3rdguy

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
He has one video in which he starts, very seriously, 'telling' you how you 'must' hold your pipe, smoke it, &c., &c., but he's actually decrying pipe snobbery. After a while he stops and tells you that all that is balooney.
Hahaha, I remember that one. Anyone who has seen his other videos would recognize it as a joke right away.

generalzod

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia
Embers...
I think you may have caught a video he's since renamed, because people didn't realize he starts that video being ironic.
Muttnchop Piper's only real sin is being overly wordy. But he's definitely not a snob or an elitist.
Cheers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That sounds like a good first three months. You're gradual and thoughtful in your approach. It sounds like you're having a good time, which is the point.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Like the OP, I had never smoked anything before picking up a pipe in my late 40's a few years ago.
Yeah, my first tobacco was an aromatic, VERY moist out of the tin, and I knew nothing about drying it out first. So my first couple attempts at that were fairly disastrous. Knowing what I know now, I probably should have started with Prince Albert, as I now find it to be a very pleasant tobacco and it packs and burns so easily.

Reactions: sthaddix
Status
Not open for further replies.