PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
I am Canadian, I cannot afford to waste dottle at $26.00 a pouch. I just bought two beautiful apple shaped basket pipes(without fills!), with conically bored bowls. Where's the dottle? It doesn't exist anymore! Every last scrap of tobacco is burnt slap up! Also I always had trouble getting a cake going in the bottom of my typically bored pipes, but these conies are caking like a dream right down to the bottom in no time flat. Flavour from this bowl shape seems great too. Anyone else had similar experiences with conical bowls? It seems like this is not a typical bowl boring method these days... maybe it's a conspiracy between pipe makers and tobacco companies to waste more, and therefore sell more tobacco, hmmm... kinda like that rumour that the match companies made up the "charing light" concept to sell more matches. Anyhoo, I would love to here your thoughts.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm Canadian too, and I agree with the no waste of tobacco philosophy, lately I've found that by picking up cigarette butts out of public ashtrays and smoking spots like bus stops I've basically cut my tobacco bill to non existent. You wouldn't believe how much tobacco you can acquire in a good honest day of butt picking.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Conical shaped bowls definitely make it easier to burn all the tobacco! With practice you'll be able to do that with all bowl shapes. As for the charring light then tamp, it is certainly needed to help an even burn and minimize further relights. Especially when smoking more moist flake tobaccos.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'm Canadian too, and I agree with the no waste of tobacco philosophy, lately I've found that by picking up cigarette butts out of public ashtrays and smoking spots like bus stops I've basically cut my tobacco bill to non existent. You wouldn't believe how much tobacco you can acquire in a good honest day of butt picking.
8O
-- Pat

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
As a Canadian as well, I prefer to stimulate the American economy n toss my dottle. As an aro smoker I find it is always to wet.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I have better luck with conical, but I've also really benefitted from a tip Brian gave in the radio show: run a pipe cleaner down to the bowl several times per smoke. Absorbs excess moisture that's gathering.
I've also found that generally, I've been smoking tobacco too moist. When I've let it dry a bit farther than I think it should be, I've enjoyed a smoke with less relights, and I get through the bowl!

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Yes, the conical bowl is a wonderful thing. I recently purchased a nice bulldog from P&C -- one of their new, old Hilson's. It has a conical bowl. It smokes completely to the bottom every time and I almost always have dottle in every other pipe I have, so I'm sure it is the conical shape that does the trick.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I'll have to give the conical shape a try. However I don't seem to get much dottle as I let the pipe cool down several times throughout the duration of the bowl. I also have learned to air the tobacco enough to avoid wet smokes.
andrew you're FOS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's no rule, but often Dublin shape pipes have a conical chamber, although not invariably. Some

Dublin bowls are so little cone shaped that they bore them just like billiards. It is a shape that invites

variation and interpretation. Tobacco that can be smoked fairly dry also tends to leave little or no dottle.

It's moist tobacco that tends to leave some leaf in the bowl. My leaf prices are sufficiently low, and my

tobacco consumption sufficiently moderate, that I still write dottle off as having served as a bed for the

bowl of tobacco and a sort of flavor filter and booster. But if prices keep going up, I may find myself

picking through the ash tray and reusing the leavings. Not the most appetizing prospect, but you do

what you must.

Dec 24, 2012
These problems will all be resolved as soon as we complete the annexation of our 51st state.
I think you guys tried that once already and we sent you packing, lol.
Andrew that is brilliant. I am off to seek out bus stops.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
O, Canada,

Our home and native land,

Your taxes have

quite gotten out of hand.

With growing fear,

we see them rise,

and spiral out of sight.

Now far and wide, O Canada,

we can't afford to smoke our pipes.

God keep this land

affordable and free,

O, Canada for lower tax we plea.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I have a 50's Savinelli full bent dublin shaped dry system with a conical bowl, I like it quite a bit.
wilson - I recently purchased one of their bulldogs as well, was it this one?
pm-phlvn-472-s_view2.png

I didn't really think the bowl was conically shaped, however it does burn down to the bottom pretty much every time. I absolutely love that pipe, it's one of my new favorites.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never have dottle no matter what shape pipe I am smoking. My biggest problem is sucking in hot at the bottom of the bowl. For me the bottom has the most flavor and I chase that flavor all the time.

Mar 1, 2014
I also just prefer to use American tobacco.

Given that taxes are just a dollar a lb for raw tobacco (whole leaf with stem) I have to wonder if it wouldn't be worthwhile to drive down and pick up a few hundred lbs of sweet Virginia and a barrel of Perique (might need a commercial license to import that much).

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
I put my dottle on top of a fresh bowl.

I don't like wasting my gold, um...err tobacco.

And it tastes just fine.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Eastwoodaudio, yes, that's the one. You're right, it's not exactly conical, but the bottom of the bore is more "pointed" than most of my other bowls, so it gives much the same effect. It's an outstanding little pipe -- I'm very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.