PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I purchased this Whitmeyer's Texas Single Barrel today along with this Four Roses Single Barrel. Has anyone tried Whitmeyer's ? Both are pretty potent. Texas is 112 poof and Four Roses at least 100. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad. Any ideas on which one to start with ? I have my pipe loaded with Dark English 5110 :puffpipe:

4-roses-and-whitmeyers-600x450.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Never had the Whit, but the 4 roses single barrel is GOOOOOOOD stuff. There is a little variation from barrel to barrel, and I kinda like that.......keeps it interesting. I've been through dozens of bottles and all were top shelf. I like it neat, room temp, with just a few drops of water to open up the flavors. Not familiar with the DE 5110, but I'd venture that either will pair well with it! Let us know :puffpipe:

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I have never had either, I would start with the one on the left though if I had to choose. My weapon of choice is Buffalo Trace and I absolutely LOVE the stuff. If my local warehouse booze store is out I go with the Bullet Bourbon. For me I like it with a whiskey ball in there because I like my drinks chilled. Either way, I would try one out for a few days-week depending on how often you partake. And then do the same with the other. That way you can pick up on what they each have to offer over time.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
the 4 roses single barrel is GOOOOOOOD stuff.
Definitely agree ... especially for the price!
Bulleit Bourbon, mentioned by Redbeard, is really good stuff too.
Sounds like a good evening!

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
redbread I saw something that makes a round ice ball. I almost bought one to try it out.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I bought a four pack from target some time ago, they work very well. Only bad thing is after a few glasses I don't want to fill them up and before I know it I'm out! I've also tried whiskey stones and those absolutely sucked!! Didn't do anything for me. I hear some like them though.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I also haven't had the Whit but I got some 4 roses for my birthday. Very tasty and I would recommend Buffalo Trace, also a good tasting bourbon.

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
Does anybody know what bourbon Brian was speaking about in last week's show? I just finished up my eagle run last night and was looking to get a new one. I think the one he mentioned was pretty high octane. I really have enjoyed Larceny lately.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I picked up a bottle of Rough Rider Three Barrel Rye Whiskey and have to say to date and quite a few bottles of whiskey this might be one of the best I have had.

It is local to me on Long Island but I do see it has some distribution. At $34 a bottle I wasn't sure what I'd end up with but it is outstanding.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Four Roses Single BBL is some darn good stuff, especially for the price. I have tried many, many whiskeys and bourbons and it is a top choice in my rotation. I've never tried Whitmeyers before, so I can't offer any advice. Other must trys are Knob Creek, Eagle Rare, Bookers, and Bakers to name a few. All should be readily available.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Up until this month I only ever drank old charter at Christmas in eggnog. I went crazy buying bourbons in July. I got to try Jefferson's reserve ( it is good) and Willette bourbon whiskey (it is good). I tried the Four Roses after beefeater chimed in (it is good). I am glad the rest of you have some good suggestions but I'm out of money. :oops: I'm going to try some of that Whitmeyer's tonight. I hope it is good because they were pretty proud of whitmeyer's bourbon. Also I don't really know squat about bourbons so if you guys think of any thing else I am all ears. :puffy:

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Buffalo Trace and Bulleit, both mentioned, are the best bourbons I know of for the price. They're both under $30 where I am, usually $25 and $27 respectively. This is perfect for me, since I tend to shy away from any bourbons costing more in favor of a similarly priced Scotch or Irish (though I will say that Woodford and Knob Creek are my favorites).

Also, I have to throw a good word in for whisky stones. I like my whiskey neat in a freshly rinsed glass, and these help on a really hot night. I'd say they're intended for thsoe who prefer neat-they just take the edge off a bit. The whiskey is cool, not cold, like it would be if you were drinking it outside on a 65 degree night.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I sampled the Whitmeyer's 112 poof bourbon. If you have ever smelled sweet horse feed that is what it tasted like to me. I believe I could taste the grain. I thought it was good! I drank it slow on three cubes of ice and there was not much kick or burn even at 112 proof. Also I believe your favorite pipe tobacco will go good with this bourbon at a slow pace. :puffy:

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I drank quite a bit of Buffalo Trace, but I've really been getting along with the last few bottles of Woodford Reserve I've bought. Right now it's my go to. Reminds me of Buffalo Trace with a bit more depth.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I enjoy good Bourbon and usually use it on my pipecleaners to clean the stems. My friend gave me a couple small bottles of Bulleit (handy to keep on the smoking stand) and after scrubbing I thought I'd give it a taste. Damn fine stuff but unavailable in my area. Knob Creek and Makers Mark are my regulars but Bulleit gives them a run for their money.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
112 & 100 proof? I'll stick with my favorite pipe cleaner, Everclear (151). Taste? Just throw in some juniper berries or cough syrup. :rofl:
If it has to bourbon or whiskey then Makers Mark, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Gentleman Jack or Knob Creek will do it for me.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Two fingers of Buffalo Trace with a bowl of Lancer Slices going right now ... very nice pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.