PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Was just about to post that they have it in (Astley's 44). Got my order in and just in time as I only have about two bowls left.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I don't know about the 'bait' thing. All I know is that I really enjoy Astley's No.44, I'm running out, they have it back in... I purchased more. All in all, pretty simple and basic in my mind. :wink:

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I've learned my lesson on believing all the hype around a blend of tobacco, then ordering 5 or so tins, all without trying it first. This happened with HH Lat Flake and BCDF. Now don't get me wrong, I do like both of these blends and they are both superb tobaccos, but i should not have bought 5 tins of each just because they were in demand and a hot item.
In my opinion, all the blends that fly off the shelves and sell out within minutes to hours should be limited to an "X" amount per customer. That way, more people will get a chance to try it and actually get their hands on a tin/bag or two. I think its ridiculous that one person can buy 20 tins of a blend, most of which they are just going to throw in their cellar, that is hard to keep in stock. I know others think differently and that is fine, but this is just my opinion on the subject.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Just because a large producer is manufacturing something does not mean that the supply of those particular raw goods is large nor that that blend is a priority for that large company. Since the prices are consistent, if they are trying to manipulate the market, they are doing a poor job. Instead consider that pipe smoking is a growing hobby at the moment and tons of new smokers wish to sample blends they have heard much about. You also have more people cellaring both because of increased awareness, a desire to age and to guard against future price increases. No amount of hype will change my mind once I put the pipe to my lips. So if I like something, I am going to buy it when possible so that I continue to have access to it at will. Even Esoterica seems to be keeping their prices consistent, even though retailers are not, which also shows their desire to simply put out product rather than take advantage. It's selling online for up to $140 an 8 ounce bag, so clearly they could apply supply and demand logic and start charging double but they seem to be keeping wholesale around the same.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Ted, i know y'all do, smoking pipes is where the majority of my tobacco purchases comes from. Y'all are great in my eyes and provide stellar customer service (i've talked to jeremy quite a few times on the phone and he is awesome). I was referring to those online retailers/sites that do not regulate on the hot items. And i am not talking 5 tins or so, i'm talking about 15+ tins or more at once. Trust me, i do see the other side of it and i totally respect those that share that opinion, i am not singling anyone out in particular at all. But it makes it very difficult for newbies and those who just want to try a tin/bag of a blend and 5 or 10 hoarders snatch it all up.
Thank you for all that y'all do over there at Smoking Pipes/Low Country, Ted, the piping community as well as myself appreciate it!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
To add to that last post, we are very lucky to have such generous and selfless individuals on this forum who will happily donate/share/sell at reasonable price those blends that are hard to find and that they have plenty of.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Still available as of 3pm. I agree that the amounts should be limited and I had a nice discussion with Mark at Smokingpipes about this very thing.
I am new to pipes and off work this so I received the email notification just as it posted, I mentioned that when the BCDF became available I only ordered 5(my desire to share the wealth) and to get the free shipping (I am a sucker for free shipping) I added a couple of things to get to $95.00 and before I could check out the BCDF was gone, but I hit the buy button anyway. Mark contacted me and held one tin for me and we adjusted the order to my satisfaction.
I just mentioned to him being new to all this, I took the limit of 10 per day per person to mean there was a reasonable supply so I had a least a few minutes to order, I was wrong and lesson learned. Smokingpipes has been great and I will buy from them again. Actually I want to stop buying from them, they are making me go broke. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.