PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotokun16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
I was wondering if anyone here was a former athlete (e.g. highschool, college, or league) or a gym advocate who works out 3-4x a week (e.g. running 3-4 miles a day+weight lifting) and smokes cigars or pipes about 2-3x a week? If you are the following, do you ever notice a stunt in performance? (e.g. heart rate above normal) Or do not?
Do you think small doses of Nicotine can hinder performance? Both mentally and physically? I know that the art of smoking can relax the body and go into a meditated state but...
Random question.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I'll let you know in about 2 more months. I smoke maybe once or twice a week and work out 5-6 days a week.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I've got the work out burned out. LOL

I used to work out 4 or 5 times a week. I still do yoga some. and I've been puffin' for over 25 years. It's not like cigarettes. You're not going to fill your lungs with smoke that reduces your intake while exercising. That is my opinion but I'm not a doctor. But I do know many friends of mine that used to do the same things with me... the ones who smoked a cigarette could not keep up in mountain hiking, rock climbing or paddling before they'd have problems breathing and become quite exhausted by it. But..... always a but.... every one is different and gets affected differently.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I can give you my experience with smoking cigarettes.

For the last 3 weeks since I lost my job, I've been at the gym 3-4 hours a day, 5 days a week.

I stopped smoking cigarettes (2+ packs a day), but have still been smoking pipes.

I usually wear a heart rate monitor.

My heart rate has dropped about 10-15 beats while doing the same amount of excercise.

Some of that could be my body adapting, but really it happened within a day or so of giving up cigarettes.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I do Bikram's yoga, 1 1/2 hours 6-7 days a week, in a 40ºC (that's 105ºF) room at roughly 50% humidity, and never notice my heart rate at uncomfortable levels. I also smoke at least 5 bowls a day.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I use to be a serious gym rat and never really noticed a problem. I know 3 guys in the NBA, one trainer and two players and they all enjoy cigars once in a while and they seem to do fine. Funny thing is I actually met them at my local B&M.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Back when I was capable of being a serious bicyclist ( 20 yrs. ago ) the smoking had no significant negative effect.... :D

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
sorry to sound gross, but as your running, if your coughing up luggies, too many.. than yes, it is affecting you. That would probably be your first sign.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have been a SERIOUS gym rat at certain times in my life and have always exercised to some extent. I mostly do push ups, sit ups, and jogging 3 times a week now. I am VERY in tune with my body. I have noticed little to no effect from pipe smoking. If, however, I smoke a few bowls a day for a while, I do notice a bit of heaviness in the lungs when running.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Honestly when I returned to the gym after a break with about 7 bowls a day my lungs felt heavy and my heart rate was higher, my non smoking gym friends claim it dmages my potential but it never stops me achieving my goals, sometimes nic kixkfrom an early smoke takes from my motivation, so I usually wait till after the gym for the first smoke

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I play ice hockey to stay in shape. Usually hit the rink 3-5 times a week for an hour and a half session. I smoke about two bowls a day now and I haven't noticed the smoking affecting my breathing. What has affected my playing is the fact that I took off for about three years and am just now getting back into shape.

mowens

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2011
I run in the morning 5-6 times a week and I lift 3 times a week in the evening. I smoke about a bowl a week so it's not much. I havn't noticed anything at all.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I work out with 12 oz. curls all the time. It's tough work, but I push myself to the limit. I'm just dedicated.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I've always been the kind of person to enjoy all things in moderation. When I start to smoke too much, I notice it and cut back. When I start to do anything too much I notice it and cut back. My great grandfather didn't speak a lot of english. He knew it, and could speak it to do business in the states, but he didn't speak it at all when he wasn't working...just liked his own language. When he did speak english, it was because he really wanted you to understand a certain point. One word I do remember him repeating over and over for the 14 years that I knew him was the word "moderation". That guy ate everything that is bad for you, drank all day every day, but in small quantities, smoked pipes, cigars and the occasional cigarette, ate plenty of fresh fruit and vegegtables, walked alot and worked in the garden and around the house alot and never ever stressed out about anything. He lived to be 98 years old and never went senile or died of any major disease. the guy just got old and expired. Had a shirt and tie on every day, loved his wife and his family fiercely, made friends everywhere he went and always always always had a smile on his face. Health is largely a state of mind. Do what makes you happy and what makes you feel well. If it feels wrong it most likely is. I have always found that too much of anything seems to dilute that thing and almost cheapen it. He said as he loaded today's 3rd bowl of Squadron Leader...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
When I was stationed at the Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station; I competed in A lot of amature body surfing competitions (internationally ranked 4th) and I ran in the Oahu 140 Perimeter Relay Run. Smoked coughin' nails and pipes during that time. I never noticed any difference.

titanicexplorer

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2011
I hit the gym 3 times a week and jog- I know smoking is bad for me, but I enjoy it- ditto with cholate

Status
Not open for further replies.