Askwith 'Hand Finished' Pipes?

(23 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by hiplainsdrifter
  • Latest reply from The Pipe Monk
  1. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone have experience with these? They look very affordable, and if well made they could be a great value.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. daimyo

daimyo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They are similar in concept to the Ligne Britagne line and if my Askwith is any indication, Chris' finishing skills are excellent. The ones you see up now are the first of their kind, so I haven't heard any actual feedback but I'm willing to bet they are a great deal.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jogilli

Login to Send PM

They are great pipes.... He had them displayed at the Newark BPSC show a few weeks ago... They are a super deal in my opinion... And that of several others who departed the show with one

James

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think they are a great deal. Chris does the sandblasts, the finish, and the stems. I know if it were in my budget, I would not hesitate, and I'm sure be happy to own one.

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well "affordable" is a seriously relative term. He makes some very nice looking pipes, but I wouldn't really put them in "affordable" list in MY book. They're certainly "attainable."

I would consider a MM Cob affordable. Someone on the forums recently bought a sandblasted apple of his that was awesome.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

wow, anything over $10 is not considered affordable?

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. bwithers55

bwithers55

Login to Send PM

Ask with is a highly reputable pipe maker. -bw

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

wow, anything over $10 is not considered affordable?

Like I said, it's relative. In my opinion, I would say a yes, a cob is very affordable, considering a $9 cob will smoke a bowl of tobacco just as good as a $350 or more pipe. I'm sure the individual dropping $350 on said pipe would argue that point to me, as I would expect. To me it's all about the from point A to point B. My Toyota can get get me 100 miles down the road just as well as someone driving a Ferrari. However, the latter might get some more attention as the car he's driving is much more unique than mine. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on buying a cob if had the need or want on any given day. I'm not in the financial position that I could say the same thing for a pipe over $125. I would also venture a guess, that I'm not alone in that respect.

I'd love to be have the means one day that I could do that, but alas today is not that day. For those that CAN afford such items, good for you.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not in the financial position that I could say the same thing for a pipe over $125. I would also venture a guess, that I'm not alone in that respect.
    If it were not for mounting medical bills, I would consider a "nice briar". But for now, if I have expendable income I prefer to use that money on tobaccos. If and when the well runs dry I'll still at least have tobacco to smoke in my cobs...

"the weez"...
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. jimbo44

jimbo44

Login to Send PM

The Askwith "Hand Finished" pipes (as opposed to the "Hand Made" pipes)are bought in briar stummels and stems, re-finished as to draw etc. by Chris and polished or sand blasted by him - very nice indeed.

They start at under $100 and are in three gradesL

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/jimbo69441/AskwithHandFinishedPipes_zpsdc85fa8b.jpg

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

considering a $9 cob will smoke a bowl of tobacco just as good as a $350 or more pipe

well everyone has an opinion and imo a cob does not smoke as good as even a $50 briar.

the OP was not about $450 pipes it was about $85~$125 pipes.
    Askwith Hand Finished
    Askwith Hand Finished

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm going to "smoke" some crow here guys. I apologize, I thought the original post was about the "handmade" pipes. I saw Askwith and remember seeing his handcrafted ones that go for a few hundred bucks.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chris is a damn good pipemaker, close your eyes and buy his pipes. You won't regret it.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've been wanting an Askwith and I just bit on this bent Billiard. In communications from Chris, he has been refining his finishing process, so I'm anxious to hold and smoke this one. The wait begins.

Al

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a very smart marketing move that we may spread to other artisan makers. I'm surprised that this has not happened earlier. Major pipe makers have had second lines almost from the beginning. By offering "entry level" pipes with the artists name the strategy is to get smokers to eventually step up the top line products. Even if folks don't graduate to the next level Askwith will have another income stream, which is a good thing. I'm sure that if his name is on a pipe he's making every effort to offer a solid product.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  16. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, looks very nice! I would say that with a craftsman like Chris, you can't go wrong.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ssjones,I like your taste- I have been eyeing that one for a while too- if it had a cumberland stem I might have beat you to it

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 papipeguy.

I *think* it might also be more cost effective for them as less work is needed to get the finished product out the door.

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  19. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

The website says the stems are either vulcanite or acrylic. The good news on my pipe, it that Chris says it was made from old-stock vulcanite rod, which is my preference.

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, that looks like a delightful pipe. You can't go wrong with Chris. He is a top notch guy and wouldn't send you something that wasn't perfect. He seems to be quite a cook too - I am friends with him on Facebook and he is always posting various delicious-looking culinary creations - not that this has anything to do with the subject at hand.

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Askwith pipes are fantastic. If you have the opportunity, buy one.

Jordan

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
    Posted 4 years ago #
  22. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two Talbert Ligne Britagne and they are comfortable,attractive, easy smokers. I love them. They sure make it more favorable that I would buy a Teipen Heritage when they're available or especially Chris Askwith. You know it's going to be a good smoker and he's going to be creative in stem work.

Tobacco's a musician.And in a pipe delighteth;It descends in a close,Through the organ of the nose, With a relish that inviteth.
    Barten Holiday
    Posted 4 years ago #
  23. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chris Askwith is an awesome pipe maker and a dear friend of mine. You will be impressed at the level of dedication and diligence he shows with every pipe he makes. Get a few from him, you wont be disappointed.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bryans, lawayna, warren, alan73, ben88, lightxmyfire, jpmcwjr, ssjones, marc75, weezell, philobeddoe, pepesdad1, samw74, jaytex969, mawp