Asking for help: A London Made Larsen Copenhagen?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee2

Lurker
Nov 23, 2016
I just bought a Larsen from eBay, a US seller.
This Larsen shape looks quite similar to Sixteen design. But there is a LONDON MADE stamp on shank, which I've never saw before. Is there a chance that it's a fake? Or for some reason, there is some Larsen guy made this pipe when he was in London?
I uploaded pictures to my Google Album and shared, here is the LINK (Click me please:). Sorry don't know how to post picture here.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Perhaps a London made pipe sold by Larsen...? I must say, I've never seen that type of carving detail on the bottom of the bowl on any of the Danish made Larsen's.

lee2

Lurker
Nov 23, 2016
Thanks Dave, you are right about the carving, I've never seen that before.
Just got a message back from coopersark on eBay, said that the stem is a replacement, the MADE IN DENMARK must be cut-off when replacing the stem, he mentioned that Larsen was never made in London.
So it's quite possible that the pipe was repaired somehow, and was stamped this LONDON MADE one which is obviously deeper than the others. And the carving detail was to cover some impacted trace or a bug bite? LOL

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
In the Danish pipe magazine STOP nr 13 april 1967 there is an article: Larsen - a good old name.

Its about the handcut pipes only called the LARSEN pipes, not W Ø L.

Sven Knudsen,Former,Else Larsen and Svend Bang are mentioned.
Until up in the late 80ties we had an local pipemaker here.Stanwell has given him a stamp for stems when he gave a Stanwell a

new one.Once I visited him I put that stamp on the shank of one of my English pipes.
Jørgen, Danmark

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
lee2 !

You should see the tread "Unsmoked grade 7 st.grain W O Larsen"

dmcmtk has a good story there

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
It wouldn't be the first time markings were cut off during a stem replacement. An old Sven Knudsen made pipe (Larsen Fancy 1102 shape) that sold on ebay in Nov. '16.
hanblast6-600x397.jpg

hanblast5-600x397.jpg

:wink:

lee2

Lurker
Nov 23, 2016
Thanks jensen. I've read that thread, it's truly a good story, and I believe Rob Cooper is "coopersark" on eBay.
It wouldn't be the first time markings were cut off during a stem replacement. An old Sven Knudsen made pipe (Larsen Fancy 1102 shape) that sold on ebay in Nov. '16.
What's the ODD!!! This one looks so familiar, so I opened my drawer and found it. Now I'm pretty sure it's exactly the SAME one! This particular pipe is on my hand now, HAHAHA~
THANKS a lot, dmcmtk! One thread, two answers, that's GREAT! :puffy:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
This one looks so familiar, so I opened my drawer and found it. Now I'm pretty sure it's exactly the SAME one! This particular pipe is on my hand now, HAHAHA~
The pipe was bought, cleaned up, and re-sold. The second seller basically bought it because he was also curious as to what it was. I didn't figure it out until after he sold it again. The cleaned pipe,
fancy-421x600.jpg

and from the 1963 W.O. Larsen catalog,
fancy1102-600x393.png

lee2

Lurker
Nov 23, 2016
The pipe was bought, cleaned up, and re-sold. The second seller basically bought it because he was also curious as to what it was. I didn't figure it out until after he sold it again. The cleaned pipe,
Thanks dmcmtk, that's the seller's pictures whom I bought the pipe from. I bought this one is out of the same reason, want to find out what it is. And now I know, thanks to you. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.