PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaan

Lurker
Nov 20, 2015
First of all, i wanna thank you for those great recommendations at my previous post. I am here again seeking your wisdom and gusto for my fourth pipe. I already bought 3 (one briar straight, one briar half bent billiard and an apple bent meerschaum), they all are Turkish brands and now i seek a pipe thats known worldwide. I am searching for it and i came across that one and that was love at first sight. But i dont know if it is right choice as shape and quality. What can you say about that matter.
Here is the pipe; http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=143656
Longing for your comments folks.

Kaan

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
the Sherlock Holmes series are good pipes. I dont care for that finish, but if it hits your fancy then go for it. Noq if it were me I would buy a Ferndown or Northern Briars in the same price range.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
You can always contact Ian Walker direct and get a custom pipe for around 200.00. You can also check for Ferndown at pipes2smoke and smoke.co.uk.
Have an Askwith top Northern Briars second, then two Ferndowns.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd look at Ferndowns. The carver there is a former Dunhill carver and does beautiful work. I have a Ferndown, courtesy of the generosity of a Forums member, and it is one of my primo pipes. Peterson pipes have had some reports of quality control problems even at the high end, but I confess all of my Petersons have been good. I just think the Ferndown is a great pipe. You might also look at Ashtons, another good English pipe. If you still find the Peterson your hearts desire, I'd call up smokingpipes.com and ask them to look over the pipe, run a pipe cleaner through it, evaluate the drilling, and see how strongly they recommend it, and compare it to their Ferndowns at the same price. They might steer you that way too.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
You might want to get the Ferndowns while you can. I hear Les is semi retired and will probably retire completely soon.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
If you are set on a Pete and its your first, get a fishtail. Which I see you have already chosen. Petersons take a while to "break in" so if you settle on it, don't be dismayed if it doesn't smoke well out of the box. Savinelli's however smoke great out of the box in my opinion. Own a Trevi 320 smooth author and its great for english blends.

kaan

Lurker
Nov 20, 2015
Thank you very much for those advises. Still trying to decide. By the way i have found a tin of Gawith Westmorland Mixture and liked it...

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Peterson pipes seem to be one of those love it or hate it topics. My first briar pipe was a Peterson p-lip, and I've amassed a small collection since then, and have no complaints. As a matter of fact, I love a certain style so much, I've bought enough of them to enjoy a fresh one every day of the week.
The ebony finish also seems to be a controversial subject with some people. I own two (smooth) ebony Petersons, and haven't had any issues with blistering, cracking, etc. However, I have noticed that the ebony finish does tend to smoker a bit hotter than their smooth or rusticated counterparts.
But, at the end of the day, it's all about what gives you the smiles, and fits the best, sitting next to your favorite beverage.
Good luck and good times!

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Peterson Sherlock Holmes series are some.of the finest smoke I can get, I do have a Deerstalker, and being a rhodesian, it smokes very cool and dry. The only issue I have is with its weight, being large and almost straight makes it less comfortable to clench than say, Watson or Baskerville.

Aug 14, 2012
That shape smokes well if you get a good, well aged piece of briar. It takes a while to break in and prefers a heavy or Lat mix tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.