PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Just out of curiosity, can we make crumble cake tobacco or maybe plug from shag tobacco? With all the trouble to get pipe tobacco, lead me to this dumb question :crying:

There's a ton of tutorials how to make crumble cakes and plugs, but I can get an example if someone out there made it from shag tobacco

Mar 1, 2014
Stick anything in a strong enough press and it’ll become a plug. I doubt if the cut of the original blend matters all that much under a 10 ton press.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
If I am not mistaken plugs are made from the whole leaves and crumble cakes are made from ribbon-cut tobacco. So something made out of shag tobacco could be called as fine crumble cake :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A rather interesting question. You'll have to work harder to come up with a dumb one. This seems like the long way around to plug tobacco, to slice it and rub it out again, but I'd be intrigued how the end product smokes. It seem like it would have lost some oils and moisture drying out as shag, but this might have a good result in flavor. If you run the experiment, I'm sure Forums members will be fascinated to read about it, and discuss it further.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
I doubt if the cut of the original blend matters all that much under a 10 ton press.
Some of the videos I saw was using some C-Clamp pressure. Is it applicable?
So something made out of shag tobacco could be called as fine crumble cake :lol:
Hope this get well :puffy:
Chugging around. Looks fun to say that. Hahaha
If you run the experiment, I'm sure Forums members will be fascinated to read about it, and discuss it further.
Hope I can try this experiment in a near time ahead. Will share it to you guys so got something useful to the community :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd guess a C-clamp would apply a few hundred pounds (?) so it is in a different league from a 10-ton press, but the principle's the same.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
I'd guess a C-clamp would apply a few hundred pounds (?) so it is in a different league from a 10-ton press, but the principle's the same.
Yes, as i read some c-clamp specification, it said 12-inch c-clamp can apply approximately 80 pounds. Let see if I can find any workshop that allow me to rent their hydraulic press :mrgreen:

Mar 1, 2014
In theory any press can do the same job if you reduce the surface area enough (of course in practice no-one wants to make a plug 1/4” at a time).

I’m guessing somewhat but the impression I get from looking at pictures of plug tobacco is it starts as a fairly large brick, even if that’s just an 8x8” square, if you reduce your quantity to 1” square at a time you would only need 1/64th as much pressure. My own body weight is almost equal (much closer than I’d like) to the pressure of a 10 ton press if I’m just standing on one square inch of plug.

A decent vice should be able to manage much more than that.
Now I’m just thinking about how much space I could save if I start pressing everything.

When I was brainstorming what to do with the tobacco that I grew, I considered pressing plugs. I have access to all of my metalworking tools, such as a ten ton hydraulic press, metal frames, etc... But, then I wasn't sure how I was going to store the plugs. I could make large ones, but... large jars? or small ones that could fit into a jar, but I hate cutting small plugs into small little flakes. So, I found hundreds of videos by tobacco farmers showing how their families had twisted tobacco to roll them and press them for hundreds of years. And, twists were easier to pack into jars.
If you are wanting to save space, think ahead to how you will save the plugs once pressed. However, if you just want to save space by packing more tobacco tighter into jars, Woods made this excellent post a while back... http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-tobacco-press-that-you-already-own
But, for me and how I smoke, I don't like opening jars and smoking out of them for long period of time. When I pop a tin or a jar, I want to have it completely smoked by the end of the week. So, couple of ounces in a small jar works best for me. YMMV

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
@frozedchurchwarden :

I see. I'm lacking in theories here. So maybe with the given time and chance, I'll just test it. Start with small cake maybe worth to do
@Cosmic :

It's not that I want to save some space for tobacco storing, but I'm just curious if we can make some cake with shag tobacco. Although Indonesia produce a lot tobacco, but it's hard to get uncut tobacco leaf.
I see mostly shag tobacco (flavored or not) in the market and not pipe tobacco. Knowing that smoking shag in a pipe will get the pipe too hot, so I think, can we make shag to crumble cake form? In my imagination, when it formed as a cake, I can cut it to a cube cut and smoke it that way.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
A Campbells soup can. Wax Paper and some C clamps. Stuff and clamp. Wait a week. Walla.
Of course that's completely an amateurs Kake maker.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I “squished” five different tobacco’s in a eight press ton for seven days. It came out great. I can’t figure out how to post here easily but you can see it on Instagram under my same moniker.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
@perdurabo: Yes. Yes. Yessss. I think that will suffice to satisfy my curiosity for now. Hope to get better tools :)
@briarbuda48 : I peeped a little on your Instagram. It's already a fine cake for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.