PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
For the last 10 years and about once a month I venture into a local B&M place (called Stag Tobacconist) located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. They have a decent assortment of new pipes and a pretty good array of pipe tobacco blends. They stock a hefty supply of cigars, a bigass humidor section and and a pretty poshy smoking lounge inside and an outside patio deck too. Sadly, they never carry my two favoite blending companies, GLP Pease or Esoterica. And I've asked a few times if they could get some but they never follow through. But just to support them I pop in there from time to time and buy an SG blend and check out their pipes.
So today I decide to go in and browse around. A worker guy (one I've never noticed before) greets me as I walk in, I say hi and start to head for the seperate pipe tobacco room. He stops me (kinda abruptly) and says he needs to see my ID. I look at him and laugh and say with a smile,"You're kidding me right?" He quickly says," No I'm serious thats the rules." I had to look the guy straight in the eyes to see if he was REALLY serious then I say, I'm 60 years old...are you nuts?" He says "Sorry those are the rules." Withut thinking twice, I quickly gave him a FU look and headed out the door.
I'll never go back there ever again.. Screw em'.
Anyone else experience something like this? Is this some new nazi rule going around ? I also thought maybe the place changed ownership and some new owner put some new rules in place. I'm 60 years old, grey/white, a bit gimpy...yet this asshat wants too see my proof of age. WTF ???
I have no intention to call via phone to speak to a mananger to find out what their rules are. Nor do I care to hear some bullshit explanation. When I get pissed, I'm done with it. I don't want o need some lame apology...just venting here and seeing if anyone else has experienced such a rude awakening in a B&M joint.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, whether you intended to or not, I think you proved to him that you're 60! Curmudge on, brother. You're in good company. :rofl:

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
lol..I stormed out the door, jumped in my truck and felt like doing a burnout in the parking lot. And I just might have lit the tires up if it wasn't for a bunch of smokers kicking back on the outdoor patio.
I'd say the worker (or maybe the new owner ?) who asked me for ID/proof was in his 50's. I bet his name was Dick.
Dick Head.
edit from my first post : it should say I have "white/grey hair" (dang edit time expired)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Oh you kids and your lack of self-control!
You are taking the situation way too personally. Check with you local elected officials. In my location failure to check a tobacco purchaser's ID results in a fine for the first violation. It's a citation for both the clerk and the owner.
You want to smoke up here? You gotta play by the rules. Easy choice to make for me as I do love my nicotine.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Wow, Warren..this is new to me here in CO. I've seen the signs in Wal-Fart and gas stations saying they need to see ID for 40 and under in regards to tobacco and booze purchases but heck..I don't look 40 ! Or under ! And never before has this B&M asked me for any proof of age. Ever. Nor has any liquor stores. In fact, I was thinking about it (after my initial post) and actually I've been going to that same B&M for 17 years. Heck maybe I'm just a grumpy old bastard. Maybe we need state issued "Grumpy Old Bastard" ID cards.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
P&C treated me that way over the phone, a week after I paid for upgraded shipping. My order was held up and canceled over age, etc. No kind of tobacco shortage could make me go back. I am not suggesting others feel that way or follow my lead. I hope they get their act straight from all the issues reported here.

Jan 8, 2013
Maybe they got careless and didn't I.D. someone when they should have and got hit with a fine because of it. Owner might have just said, "screw it. I.D. everbody that comes in the door no matter what." Hard to forget to I.D. someone when you make it a practice to I.D. everyone regardless. I see no real problem with it. And I doubt it was meant as a personal affront to you. Why stop supporting the B&M just for that?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
He stops me (kinda abruptly) and says he needs to see my ID. I look at him and laugh and say with a smile,"You're kidding me right?" He quickly says," No I'm serious thats the rules." I had to look the guy straight in the eyes to see if he was REALLY serious then I say, I'm 60 years old...are you nuts?" He says "Sorry those are the rules."
The whole point of this type of "policy" is expressed perfectly in the above exchange. It is to train people to simply obey without using any common sense or rational thinking.
The store clerk is trained to card everyone without exercising any common sense and/or simple discernment. And the customer is trained to blindly obey and show their "papers" regardless of how absurd the situation is or to what degree it violates all normal human thought processes.
Next time, please be a good subject citizen and demonstrate your ability to obey without thinking.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Brian, this is the main reason why I was ticked off. But it appears you and I are a rarity these days. I stopped flying because of the nazi TSA tactics "keeping us all safe." But I don't want to post my "loss of freedom" and "illusions of freedom" views here as the majority of people on this forum seem to enjoy the matrix and bread and circus shows. George Carlin summed things up dead-on. If that is their so-called "policy" it's now my policy to avoid going there. It won;t hurt their business, I never bought much there anyways. An it doesnlt effect me much as I can buy anything I want online and get it cheaper anyways. I walked out and will never return based on my wn prociples and morals of what I feel it right and wrong. And I won't conform/obey to rules and policies that go against my personal beliefs. Whats next ? Strip search a guy before he can buy tobacco ? Finger print check before buying a pit of beer? Background check ? Blood test ? Microchip all smokers ? I like using extreme Orwellian examples because eventually they happen.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
On one of the gun forums I visit, there's a signature line I quite enjoy.
"When you've had enough, grab your rifle and run outside. If you're all alone, it ain't time yet!"
In the mean time, load a nice pipe bowl. It ain't worth the blood pressure spike.
Jay :nana:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I would have gladly showed an I d and then explained that you have been going there for ten years. Rules is rules though.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
A little common sense ought to apply I think for people who are very obviously way over the minimum age. In the UK they have what is called 'Challenge 25'. In a nutshell, where it appears to the person selling alcohol or tobacco that the customer may be under the age of 25 years, they are required to ask them for identification to prove that they are over the age of 18 and can lawfully buy the goods. This is enshrined in law now.
Personally, as a 63 year old, if someone thought I might look under 25 I would be flattered as hell .. and then I would offer to drive them to the optician. :D
Mike

Mar 1, 2014
I hate to be the one to bring it up, but simple dress code can make a big differnece to a lot of people. Taking it a step further, if you're well dressed, good looking, and polite on top of it all, I halfway expect that ordinary people would help you rob a bank if you ask nicely enough.

Everyone likes to think they're totally logical and objective in every interaction they have with other people, but in random encounters basic human nature can still play a huge part.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I get carded at Wal-Mart when I purchase certain items, super glue, gas additives, etc. The computer flashes the message and it won't continue until an employee swipes a badge to confirm they have verified your age.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I work for a company that has a firm rule that everyone, regardless of age, is asked for ID before purchasing tobacco or alcohol. If an employee fails to card, they are written up the first time and terminated the second. Even the software is written where an employee must enter an accurate birthdate. (software is written to look for patterns in case the employee just plugs in a number multiple times).

You said that you had not seen this person before, that means that he had not seen you either. If he was new, he was just following the rules, (no matter how ridiculous they may be)

I think that the employee could have been a little more affable when asking for ID, but he had probably been catching flack from the other regulars and possibly as frustrated about having to card you as you were being carded.

With all of the rules and regs that are coming down, many stores are taking a "zero tolerance" approach just to cover their backsides.

Honestly, at 54, I get a kick out of being carded, (even if it only because of a policy)

I wouldn't be so quick to give a FU and walk out. You may find out that the guy is OK and may even be able to get the special order tobacco that you have been asking about.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Well Im only 50 and when I pick up a 12pack o Beer at Walmart they just scan it like its soap and in the cart it goes, not a second look
Not sure which is worse

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Pipe smokers seem to have a lot of tender folks. I suspect the employee was just following the employers orders. Who I'll bet sold to someone underage and got busted.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Flattered to be carded ? nah.. women seem to fall for it, but not me. IMO it has nothin to do with the possibility that you MAY REALLY may look 21 to 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.