PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hey guys, my small town tobacco shop has recently added Ashton to their product list. Have any of you had any experience with this brand? Can you recommend? I have tried 'Winding Road', not bad, but not the best I have tasted as far as pipe tobacco either ...

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have only had Artisan's Blend and considered it very good. It is in the vein of Dunhill's Nightcap.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Another English style blend in the Ashton stable is Consummate Gentleman. A less full blend than Artisan's. There's an aromatic, I believe called Golden Glow which is primarily Bright Virginias that is a pretty decent blend.
Mike S.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I didn't get along with any of them, reminded me of Petersons.
However, if you can get the older standup cans . . . you are in for a treat!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Ok guys, I have finally bought that Artisan's Blend ... it was something of a different world to me. Please keep in mind that I have never smoked a straight English blend before, for some reason always stuck to aromatics. When first opening the can, the smell was just repulsive. My first thought was ammonia. Smoking on the other hand, well ... let me tell you it tastes a whole lot BETTER than it smells. It smokes cool, and the overall smoking experience is better than any of the aromatics I have smoked. Possibly because it is, or at least it seems to me, a lot dryer than aromatics. The taste kind of grows on you with every sip. The taste is not a bad taste, but totally different from I what I am used to. The nicotine is also above my comfort level. All in all, it was a great experience. I am not sure that this type of smoke would be a replacement for aromatics, but I certainly enjoyed it and I will experiment a whole lot more in this area. Like I said, the tobacco is of very good quality, and the taste is something I can easily get accustomed to ...

Mar 29, 2016
For beginners in Latakia mixtures, less is better. Consummate Gentleman from Ashton is better balanced in flavor and has less smokiness. More importantly it doesn't have fire cured Kentucky which, for a beginner, could be overwhelming both in flavor and in strength.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I wrote a review of Consummate Gentleman here. Artisan Blend is pretty good as well but a lot heavier on the Latakia. I have not tried anything else they make

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I really like Artisian Blend. Smooth and creamy smoke. Have not had the chance to try any other Aston blends.
let me tell you it tastes a whole lot BETTER than it smells.
I have found this to be true with all tobaccos, especially in beginning. Aromatics are for the people around me, but good tobacco is for me!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Well, I will try Consummate Gentlemen as well. I will keep the artisan's blend though, I smoked a second bowl and I like it more and more. My wife says it smells like I gathered a bunch of autumn leaves from the yard and set them on fire, but that's a different story. Here is my question now, that I have opened the subject. I have used a new briar for artisan's, and aside from a cob, I am out of new pipes. Would it be ok if I smoked consummate using the same pipe I use for artisan's? I know they are both english blends, but somehow I wouldn't want to ruin the taste of either of them. I have read some posts about heavy cake and ghosting .. personally I use a very old briar for various cavendish based aromatics, and the cake doesn't get in my way, but since I am new to the whole english blend thing I though it wouldn't hurt to ask.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Ashton makes my favorite Aged Maduro. Their tobacco quality is not in question.
I will have to try the Artisan's blend. Sounds tasty. now cliclklik has me wondering why is passed up all those old

cans I was seeing for sale. Damn.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Gold Rush is the only Ashton blend I have tried, and I thought it was quite good. It's a basic tangy Virginia tobacco, if you're into that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.