Ashton Sovereign Rhodesian XX (Bill Taylor 2009)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was watching this one very closely as it set off all my my Ashton "Holy Grail" details.

Bill Taylor - Check

Rhodesian

XX size - Check

under 50 grams - Check (46)

Tapered stem - Check
I made an offer to the seller when it was listed, but they wanted to let it go to auction (and I made out a little better)

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Congratulations. It is exciting to find something you have been wanting and getting it at a good price. You seem to be quite a "chubby" guy!

:clap:

May 31, 2012
Jawdroppingly stunning!

:!:

Congrats Al,

that pipe is a perfect fit for you and I'm glad it found a good home.

Dec 24, 2012
This got me thinking. Obviously that is a great pipe Al and I mean no disrespect with respect to the comments that follow, but I assume the reason you are saying it is a Bill Taylor Ashton is because the pipe is not stamped JC, as I understand all pipes made by Jimmy Craig were stamped when he took over after Bill was killed in the fall of 2009.
My question is though: are all Bill Taylor Ashtons created equally? Based on what I have read, Bill had less and less involvement in the daily making of Ashton pipes in the few years before his death. I am not an Ashton collector, though I have a few - including a couple from the RD Field collection - but I was wondering if the early-dated Ashtons are more prized by Ashton collectors than the later dated Ashtons (even the ones made prior to Bill's death)?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
but I was wondering if the early-dated Ashtons are more prized by Ashton collectors than the later dated Ashtons
I'm not an Ashton expert, but this jives with what I've seen with regards to how the online auction and estate market values earlier Ashton pipes. Very early pipes seem to sell at a signficant premium, to later Taylor Ashtons which appear to plateau into a similar price range as the early Craig Ashtons.
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ah, good talking points Peck.
I have both Taylor era (probably a better choice of words than "Taylor Made", which have two digit dates) and Jimmy Craig (three digit dates) pipes. This is only my sixth Taylor era pipe, so I'm certainly no expert. My date ranges are from 1998 to 2000. Pipepedia says Jimmy Craig was "producing" for Taylor in 2008 & 2009
There are several aspects of Ashton pipes that I find appealing:

- Shaping

- "Ashtonite" stem material. Jimmy Craig Ashtons are made with acrylic stems, which while durable, don't have quite the mouth feel.

- I like the way the oil-cured briar smokes

- Bill thumbed his nose at "the man" (Dunhill factory)
There are definitely some stinker Taylor era-pipes out there. Apparently, Bill was fond of having some adult beverages for lunch, so pipes made in the afternoon are joked about. My first Ashton wouldn't pass a cleaner (1998 2X Rhodesian Pebble Grain) and was a lousy smoker until I fixed it. My rest have all been drilled correctly and smoke very well. All were smoked estates save for my Old Church which was unsmoked.
I have issues with Jimmy Craigs stem fitment and at the last Richmond show, looked at many on his table. Of my two Craig pipes (three date digits), one stem is not flush and neither passed a cleaner. One is a near Oom-Paul shape, but a file made passing a cleaner possible. There's no excuse for the other, a 2X Rhodesian. Both smoke well, but not as good as my Taylor-era pipes.
I did check with the seller on this 2009 pipe and he tells me it passes a cleaner easily, a good sign.
Wish me luck!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The pipe was delivered yesterday and it looks magnificent. But, there was one issue that wasn't disclosed on the ad. It appears to have a replacement tenon. Whoever did the work did an outstanding job and only when I compare it to my other Ashtons can it be noticed. Stem fitment is excellent. The draw and drilling is spot on and perhaps a little more open that a standard tenon (which caught my attention). That is a good thing as Ashtons aren't known for their open draws (similar to Upshall).
Fortunately, the seller was apologetic and offered a generous discount if I wanted to keep the pipe. After one smoke, yep, I want to keep the pipe. I doubt I'll ever resell it, so that's not an issue for me. I just smoked a 2nd bowl in it this morning and it smokes like a winner. The proportions and size are even better in person. He had it listed at 46 grams, I think it weighs less (I'll check it on our scales later today).
I can't stop admiring the shape of this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.