PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Ashton Pebblecut is a Virginia, Perique and Oriental blend (no Latakia). A VaPerO, if you will. And even though it smells like an old, wet dog, it has just joined my personal pantheon of great tobaccos.
I've had this tin open since last August, but it has just come into its own. Freshly opened, it was a very sweet, dark, VA-heavy flake that was enjoyable enough, but not as fragrant or complex as the other VaPerO's I've tried, including Tudor Castle. After some air time, though, it's become a really fragrant, complex and nutty blend that will please anyone who likes VAs or Orientals.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Pitch, thanks for the thoughts. This one is on my short list for my next quartly order.
I know it doesn't have Perique in it, but have you tried McCelland's Arcadia?
I keep trying to branch out, but McCelland's Virginias just hit my sweet spot.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I haven't tried it, but that sounds interesting. It's a shame, but there are very few Oriental blends with no Latakia.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Pitchfork, I agree that it is difficult to find a good oriental blend that does not contain Latakia. Have you tried much from McClelland's Grand Oriental Line?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've only tried the Drama. It was very good as I remember it, though. Fragrant like olive wood. Time to revisit it, I think.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
You may also want to check out Butera Blended Flake. Essentially its the same as Pebblecut, but it seems just a touch drier, maybe a little less tart than Pebblecut, though both are favorites. Another highly underrated VA/OR flake is McClelland's Matured VA (Brown Tin) No. 24. It is Virginias and Drama, with non of the Perique to get in the way. A very nutty, musty, mellow flake, probably my favorite non-Latakia tobacco.
And as Northernneil suggested, the Grand Oriental line is great. I would definitely suggest them all, but in particular the Black Sea Sokhoum. It has the Oriental notes, but also some nutty, burley like qualities, occasionally I even get a cocoa hint. Very different from what most of us think of as Oriental.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions, lochinvar. Good on you for knowing your Orientals. I love burley, so Black Sea Sokhoum sounds wonderful.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
The McClelland's Ashton Revivial version is just wonderful, and Arcadia has become my go-to blend. I do love latakia, but I never get tired of flue-cured or stoved Virginia with some high quality Orientals.
FYI: I've been having an on-going conversation with Brian Levine as to whether Arcadia has any latakia. I say it doesn't, but he claims his nose can detect "about 2%" of latakia.
I'm right, am I not?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
dawg, this is the Ashton Revival from McClelland. But it sounds like I need to try Arcadia.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
After reading this post last night I had to crack a jar of it I had cellared a year ago. It was a very delightful smoke. However I do like c and d Sunday picnic better.
Has anyone tried the mcclellands grand oriental series? I'd like to try them but every time I go to order I can't decide which one to get since I'd like try them all.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
As I've said elsewhere, I really only smoke Englishes. I tried at one point to move into Va/Pers, but with limited success. This style of tobacco, however, has definitely peaked my interest.

Just when I was trying to limit my tobacco collection to a few favorites...

Status
Not open for further replies.