PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I had one Bill Taylor years ago, but it was a bit wonky and it was sold. Otherwise, I've only had Craig pipes.
I like the two I have quite a bit, and have been thinking of getting another. But a part of me wants to get a true blue Bill Taylor Ashton rather than another Craig.
Anyone have an opinion of the two eras, and also where Craig is taking Ashton?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I once had a Bill Taylor Ashton and it was a kick ass pipe.
It was stolen. I have never smoked a Craig Ashton.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I have a William Taylor-made pipe, and it is evident to me that he learned his craft exceedingly well during his tenure with Dunhill. Consequently I would not hesitate to purchase another.
Mr. Taylor left this mortal coil far too soon; may he rest in peace.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Here is a Taylor Poker, Big like I like them, I also have a Large Taylor Canadian, they are very good smokers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a Taylor Ashton fan. I had two early Craig pipes (2010ish) and didn't much care for them. He was using an acrylic stem material at the time and reports now vary between acrylic and vulcanite.
As for his plan for Ashton, he doesn't seem to have one. He sells new pipes through a few internet vendors (pipes2smoke the best). He was selling via Ebay, at highly discounted prices, which made no sense and that appears to have stopped. He doesn't have a website. From what I can discern, his son(s) are now part of the team. The stem work seems to have improved, but I've only seen web pix.
Taylor era pipes can definitely be wonky. Someone coined on a forum said you want one that he made before lunch. Even, so, I love my Taylor era Ashtons.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I met Jimmy Craig in Raleigh Triangle Pipe Show one year, not long after the passing of Bill Taylor. I own several Bill Taylor pipes, one he gave me personally after I won a local pipe show lottery. It is still unsmoked.
I treasure my Taylor pipes, especially since meeting him personally and talking pipes and tobaccos over a pint. His pipes are great smokers, as Bradley says.
I do not own any of Jimmy's pipes and I just can't bring myself to buy one. Not because I don't like them, it's just that I want to keep my memories of Bill Taylor with his pipes close at hand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Clearly Bill Taylor was a master pipe carver and the loyalty of his following is palpable from this thread. I'm still wondering how people have found the Jimmy Craig (and sons) pipes. I admire them. They are more than I spend on pipes, but I window shop. Occasionally the prices swoop down on small pipes -- currently one at $148 on SP, with prices running more $260 to $400-ish. I have a crazy number of pipes (from my point of view) including a few high level (by my lights). But I'd be interested to hear from Jimmy Craig owners. Estate Ashtons seem to retain their value, mostly pretty pricey.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
IMO,The earlier Ashton's when Bill was working with Frank Lincoln are great pipe. I've seen some incredible pieces, boxed sets and collections that came from era. 8O

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I bought a Craig pipe some months ago and it smokes very well. The only complaint I have is it has a rather large bit. Judging from pictures the large bit is standard on Ashton pipes now.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Like tennsmoker I enjoyed a few hours with Bill Taylor and both Ashtons I have remind me of him every time I light them. On the other hand, I would be keen to take a closer look at Craig's work because those Ashtons smoke so easily and tasty.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Here are the two Craigs I have. They both smoke very well, to be honest, and like I said I'm eyeballing another.
Agdre6ATha-3000x3000.png

FTbz0erTAv-3000x3000.png

dIex9xCUpn-3000x3000.png

GnC9DRozHd-3000x3000.png

The bulldog especially is a true champ. But, it does feel a little odd - like getting a Becker not made by Paolo, or how getting a Ferndown not made by Les would feel off had he passed the brand down.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
And of course we don't know which later Taylor Ashtons were actually made by Jimmy Craig, who at the end, was reportedly handling the lions share of the work.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
That's a great point.
I liked the first Craig I had, but the stemwork was off. The bit was sharp around the edges. I guess I could have fixed it, and suppose I wish I had now.
The two I posted above are fantastic though. I wish the bowls were uncoated, but there's a solid chance I'll go for the one I'm eyeballing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.