Ashton ELX pebble grain Canadian estate, $200, is it worth it?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulofunk

Lurker
Dec 31, 2016
Hello Gents, first time spending this much for a pipe. Can you help me out here? Is this worth the price?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Look at smokingpipes.com, the new ones start at about $216 to $288 and go up to $400 or more, so find a comparable pipe there and make your own judgment. Also look at their estate prices on Ashtons. Though I don't own one, I often take a look at them. They're appealing pipes, and if the ELX pebble is a higher line version, and if the condition is good, this is probably a fair price, if not a bargain.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
@mso489 is a wise man and not one to steer you wrong, however only you can decide if a pipe "is worth it", nice quality pipe at a bargain though

fulofunk

Lurker
Dec 31, 2016
Thank you for the input!

I do have pics...

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

Oct 7, 2016
That is an older piece in all likelihood as it lacks a date. Size is good,blast is decent, not exceptional IMO, condition looks OK. If you decide to pass, send me a PM with details of how to contact the seller.

fulofunk

Lurker
Dec 31, 2016
The only other stamping was the ELX within the oval, just to the left and just out of the picture. I figured it was an older model b/c of the missing date, so I'm going to research what time period that puts this pipe in, late 1990s I'm hoping. He'S firm on the $ though. Thanks for the input....

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
There are a couple of problems, now that I am clear headed ( :mrgreen: ) . The stamping looks "off", it's missing quite a bit of info. No date code, no "made in england" and the stem is missing the logo (briar/metal). Quite honestly it looks like a knock-off. The font of the stamping even looks "different" and there's plenty of room on that shank to include everything . Sorry.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Intersting, the blast does look like early Ashton. The RD Fields Ashton page does show some 1984 pipes that lack date stamps.

http://www.rdfield.com/Ashton/the_ashton_collection.htm
Also according to RD Field page, Bill lost some of the finish and date stamps in 1995, so pipes from that year had unusual stamping.
The year 1995 was a telling one in terms of nomenclature. Midway through that year the Ashton stamp (in script) was lost along with some of the finish stamps. Because of this many of the pipes had Ashton stamped in block letters instead of script, and in addition there was no finish (Oldchurch, Pebblegrain, etc.) stamped on many of the pipes. 1995 was also the year over half of the pipes produced had no date stamp.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
JamesUpshallCo sold this one, with no date stamp - but from this seller, this is automatically suspect in my book.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASHTON-ELX-SOVEREIGN-BILLIARD-FREEHAND-NEW-LEATHER-SLEEVE-amp-BOX-/401250750431?hash=item5d6c688fdf%3Ag%3ApPcAAOSwo4pYLKuM&nma=true&si=lkwlIyTF7xZvHZWrtE1QEaIFk5I%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I were buying an estate Ashton, I'd go with smokingpipes.com estate pipes for several reasons. You would be certain that the pipe is what it is claimed to be as reviewed by pipe professionals. You would get a professional assessment of its condition that is creditable. You would get a pipe that is sanitized and refurbished to their specifications. The price might be some dollars higher than ebay, but the cost would be minimal compared to the uncertainty. You would likely end up getting pretty much what you expect, not unhappy surprises.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
On SP Ashton estates, well, sort of. I've purchased three estate Ashtons from them (Taylor) and have had issues with each one
My first, was drilled quite poorly, but 20 minutes with a tapered drill bit and file made it into a great smoker. But out of the box, not so much.
My second had a pit that popped off, on the bowl, to reveal a tiny hole! (of course it was accepted for return without any further question)
My 3rd was a bulldog, the edge of the diamond shank (briar) was as thin as I've ever seen and I was afraid it wouldn't hold up to regular use. It was also accepted for return without question.
Buying from a reputable seller such as SP does give you protection not found in every estate outlet.
And, do your homework buying Taylor estate Ashtons!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I have a hard time believing someone would go to the trouble of knocking off a run of the mill

Estate Ashton. There were periods of time when the stamping was not consistent. That said, I would not personally spend $200 on this piece.

Oct 7, 2016
Some very early Ashton's lacked date stamps. I personally saw several of them in the 1980's and early 1990's. Assuming the photos are indicative of the overall condition, I would not take a dime less than $200 if I were the seller. Frankly, there are a couple of sellers on eBay who could easily romance that pipe to twice that. My offer stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.