PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teajeat

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Up until now I've been comfortable placing myself in the category of a non-latakia, non-English smoker. I've tried a handful of those blends early on in my smoking life and decided they're not my favorite. I think I found them too monochromatic, too lingering on the sinuses etc. As to not miss out on the dwindling Syrian latakia supply, I recently tried Ashtons Artisans Blend on a whim. I've had an epiphany that I absolutely adore the cool smoking, winey, briny, incense-like ambrosia of this blend. I don't know if it's due to the Syrian latakia, skillful use of perique, or palate change, but I can honestly say I haven't enjoyed smoking my pipe this much in a long time. I've obviously procured a little more Artisans Blend, but I'm looking for similar blends with their own unique personalities. I've got some tins of McB HH Vintage Syrian, Solani White & Black, Dunhill MM965, and Nightcap on the way, but I would like some other recommendations. What blends bring Artisans Blend to mind while offering up something unique. Your input is much appreciated.

P

pipebuddy

There is no Syrian Latakia in Artisan's Blend-not anymore since a while, that is.

Try Rattray's Accountant Mixture, it is kind of similar but remains distinct.

teajeat

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Aha, I wasn't aware they stopped putting Syrian in there. I know my tin of Artisans is brand new, so its all Cyprian then. That's kind of good news, it means the chances of finding other great blends (to my tastebuds) with Cyprian are good. I will try Accountants Mixture for sure.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
To me, Nightcap is similar enough to Artisan's Blend.
If you like AB you should like the ones you have on the way. I would also throw Mac Baren The Solent Mixture in there. It has a very slight rum topping, but it matches the description of the smoking taste you described. Oddly, the slight rum topping works with the flavors. Again, it's slight.

teajeat

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
I've been very close to trying Solent many times in the past, but never have. I will definitely check it out.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
With some age, Artisan's Blend is, in my opinion, pretty untouchable. HU Fayyum Kake, McClelland Samovar (now retired), Fusilier's Ration, and Quiet Nights are all similar.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
The last tins I got a couple of month ago still said Syrian. Fake news?

teajeat

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Just confirmed my tin is new one without Syrian, which I'm pretty happy about because it may stick around longer and be available in the future.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
The tin description has changed, scope the tin pic at SP.
Interesting, thanks. I guess I lucked out with some leftover older tins. The P&C pic still says Syrian, but I'm not sure if that means anything.

teajeat

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Ok, so I'll probably pull the trigger on Solent mixture and Quiet Nights this evening for sure, and possibly Accountants mixture. I would love to try HU but am a little hesitant to place an overseas order. What else should I include in the order this evening?

teajeat

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Pipe stud is fresh out of the old Artisans as of today. That's ok, I'm sure it's great, but I think the new stuff is pretty amazing, and it's not $40 a tin like the old stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.