PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I've been smoking a Virginia/Burly blend in a cob most of the day working in the shop, but wanted something new. Looked at what was open and didn't realize I had 5 different flake tobacco's to choose from. Went to the cellar and found a tin of English that's been resting not to long, but since April of 2011. When I opened it the smell almost made me what to get a fork and eat it. (I have to admit I was hungry). I poured a bit of Balvenie Single Malt to wait while the tobacco was airing.

It's what I'd call a fine ribbon cut which loads easily. On first lite the ribbons of smoke are just mesmerizing.... After 20 minutes of drying it lit well and kept burning. I chose a medium size meerschaum billiard that feels good in my hand and doesn't take to much fussing over. The pipe and tobacco married up perfectly. It struck me right away that this is a Balkan style English blend. The Perique and Latakia are right up front first off. I have to compare it to Peterson's Irish Oak, but with a little twist, maybe it's the age. I wish I had of stored more in 2011. I just ordered 10 more tins for the cellar.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
One of my favorites and I burn through it on a regular basis. The tin note is beyond anything in its genre and at first pop there is a floral note that is very subtle and I've never really been able to pin it down to anything specific. It's a sweet smoke that evolves as you work toward the heel. Excellent review Steve!

Jul 15, 2011
I've often heard this blend called Nightcap's little brother, I guess because since they both contain Latakia and Perique they tend to draw some similarities. I think I have a tin of this somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find it and try it out.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I haven't smoked any of this in a while, but it was pretty good stuff. Used to have Syrian latakia; don't know if it does any longer,since there isn't any more.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Jud, I just bought 3 tins of Artisian's Blend, and the tin claims it still contains Syrian Latakia.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I'm on the fence about this one for no particular reason, but you're making it sound good. I still have a BnB Groupon to use, maybe I'll grab a tin with that.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Pipe Novelist says it's been referred to as Nifgtcaps little brother. I realize that everyone's tastes are different and having smoked a great deal of both blends I'd say that If there's any comparison at all to be made between the two I'd have to say that NC is the Prime Rib main course and AB the rich dessert.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I have a tin of artisan's and consummate gentleman kicking around somewhere. Picked them up awhile back from my local B&M.
Haven't been smoking much due to the weather, and latakia blends don't even sound appealing to me when it's this hot. Had a bowl of Pirate Kake when it first started warming up (not hot yet, maybe back in May) and was sorely disappointed, especially after thoroughly enjoying it the 2 or 3 times I'd had it previously.
But I may be looking to give Artisan's a shot when I decide to blow the dust out of one of my latakia pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.