Ashing Is A Science

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from unkleyoda
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The universal question that pipe smokers the world over ask is when do I ash? Ash you ask, what is it too ash? When your pipe goes out instead of trying to relight the bowl through a pile of ash, you gently stir the ash. Then you tip the bowl and dump said ash into your ashtray. You then tamp your tobacco and then relight. I might have to ash 2-4 times a bowl it all depends if I am paying attention or not. I never think about trying to smoke my pipe to the bottom on one light. I hardly ever do it as I am usually typing or reading and my pipe goes out because I forget to puff.

Now that you understand the principle of ashing, ask yourself how have you lived this long, not knowing when to ash.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Asked and answered countless times:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashing

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was just thinking about a piece of ash. Oh, wait, that's close but not quite what I was thinking about. Carry on!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

george, lol, I knew all that but decided to keep my post a little simpler than that. I didn't want to show how smart I was by posting that info from my memory.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I was just thinking about a piece of ash.

I quit thinking about that years ago. Gets in the way of my smoking and drinking.

Now that you understand the principle of ashing, ask yourself how have you lived this long, not knowing when to ash.

Ummm. When you're done smoking?

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Dumping the ash, from about mid-bowl on down, does seem to re-invigorate the flavor. Different chamber shapes and dimensions complicate the issue, so some trial and error is in order.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most bowls, I don't dump ash at all. But sometimes I do. I think it depends on the blend, it's cut, and the burning characteristics. In most cases, the ash tamps down so completely, stopping to dump doesn't seem to matter. Tamping does not put out the pipe, and I can keep going. But on some bowls, when you go to tamp, there is a ridge around the edge of the bowl of ash, and pushing it down seems to hide the ember and pack down the unsmoked tobacco under a layer of ash. Usually the pipe is out. Then I stir the ash at the top and dump it gently, then tamp the pipe, and if there is enough unburnt leaf below, relight. For me, in many cases, dumping would be waste motion, but when it's needed, it improves the smoke a lot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. jravenwood

jravenwood

Login to Send PM

Most bowls, I don't dump ash at all

Ditto!

"It is quite a three pipe problem..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dump occasionally. I try to dump once a day. If I take my fiber supplement it’s like clock work.

As far as ash goes it depends on how the pipe is going. About 30 seconds ago while smoking some marlin flake cube cut in a Ryan Alden Dublin I had the pipe go out on me halfway through. So I stirred, dumped, tamped and relit.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

And then there are some who take pictures of their ashes, yeah ashes, you read it right.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fascinating-ashes

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most bowls, I don't dump ash at all.

Me three.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   snoopy311, glassjapan, cossackjack, npod, verporchting, sasquatch, morgansteele, mikefu, georged, elpfeife, alexnc, dmcmtk, tschiraldi, donjgiles