PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
No, it's not a 1970s Motown duet.
I turned 45 today and I was given instructions by the CEO a couple of weeks ago to purchase my own birthday presents.
So, reeling under the full weight of the responsibility imposed upon me, I picked up a couple of pipes.
The first is a JT Cook dublin. This is a perfect size for me and will be a great compliment to the brown one I already have (see http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jt-cooke-dublin ) as well as my St. Paddy's Day Dublin (see here http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jt-cooke-st-paddys-dublin ).
To me, the conical bowl of the dublin shape does provide for a superior flake smoking experience.

I have also been getting into the Rhodesian shape lately and want to add some old British classics to the stable. I recently became smitten with Al's* Comoy shape 499, but haven't managed to snag one yet. Al did however graciously provide me with a bunch of photos of his remarkable pipe, which I recently sent to Michael Parks and asked him to recreate a smooth and a blasted version for me. In any event, more on those another day.
Stumbling through ebay not long ago I came upon a just-listed pipe that looked very similar to the Comoy 499 style. This one is made by Sasieni and is called an "Ashford". I had never heard of it, but I liked the lines on the pipe, so I struck a deal to buy it. Here she is:

* Also known as ssjones, one of our dearly beloved and hard-working moderators, who I am acknowledging here in a blatant attempt to curry favour and thereby forestall any future banning of me from this forum.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Peck, you lucky bastard, happy birthday and way to one up the shit out of my birthday pipe acquisition post a few hours ago!!!!! :twisted: :crying:
Those are two PHENOMINAL pipes buddy, especially that Cooke. The blast is insane and as you said, it will be a great flake smoker. The Sasieni is in amazing condition and the grain and shape are subtle, yet beautiful. Congrats and enjoy! :clap:

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Hahaha I know Peck, just bustin' yer balls, fella. Thanks a lot, i appreciate it coming from someone who has as many fine fine pipes as yourself. Honestly though, i can't stop looking at that Cooke. It's like being at the beach and a sexy chick is standing in front of you with a very bulbous gluteus maximus and not a lot of thread covering it. You want to look away and avoid staring, but then you remember you have on limo tinted out shades, so you just enjoy the view. I now have on limo tinted out shades.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
First, Happy Birthday. Second, that's a very generous, albeit somewhat impersonal gift, from your CEO. Well chosen on your part and I hope you enjoy those for many years. Happy Smoke Rings.

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks guys.
layinpipe - I may be spoiled by the Cookes I have, but the only one I have that just causes me to stare in amazement much like you on the beach is this big billiard he made for me on a commission. This is a pipe you have to touch and feel to truly appreciate:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jt-cooke-big-ass-lb-billiard

Dec 24, 2012
And Pat, many thanks for your Facebook well wishes too. I can't believe the wife posted that picture of me stumbling with the vino. I will have to extract payback.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
And Pat, many thanks for your Facebook well wishes too. I can't believe the wife posted that picture of me stumbling with the vino. I will have to extract payback.
I never would have known you were stumbling.... But you did look remarkably happy.
-- Pat

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Peck, wow, just wow. That big ass cooke you put the link to is off the charts ridiculous, bet that thing smokes like a freight train. That blast gave me a pipe boner, not even ashamed about it.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Happy B Day Dean, make it a great one.
I am with most whom commented on that Cooke. That thing has Wessex BCDF written all over it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's a hell of a celebration, happy Birthday! Dave (dmctk) and I were just discussing that Ashford that disappeared from Tony's site - what a grab. I've been watching Ashfords for a several years and never saw one stamped "Straight Grain". Tony S is a heck of a guy as well. A raised pipe for your birthday Peck!

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I read your posts and from what I can tell from your pipe purchases, you seem to have a birthday about every week.
Happy birthday Peck.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Happy belated BD Peck! A couple nice pipes for your collection. Congrats!
Here I thought I was special when I bought myself a corncob pipe for Father's day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.