PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have any historical data, but I suspect this is the golden age of pipe tobacco blending in

terms of variety and sophistication. The heyday of pipe smoking, from World War I through the

1960s, saw many more pipe smokers relying on mostly over-the-counter blends. Though there

were many private blends and specialty tobaccos, I doubt it was anything to compare with online

retailing and the explosion of blends we have today. Though some tobacco historian may be

waiting to prove me wrong!

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
What a great article.
Not only the specialty blends, but a lot of the local comradery is gone with the disappearance of the local tobacconists. Unless you know someone that smokes a pipe, the mentorship is virtually non-existant for the new pipe enthusiast. Sure, you can always turn to the web for guidance, but the social interaction with the education and mentorship is gone or at best significantly reduced. The blends change over time due to technology and demand from the consumers. But the blow dealt to the social aspect of pipe smoking was devastating.
With all good things worth fighting for, they come back. I hope social acceptance will at least lighten up so we can smoke and socialize without persecution.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Great article as usual. Makes me want to seriously stock up on all my current day favorites!

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Mr P has a very different palate than I, but you've got to respect the man and his products. He is a bit of a walking encylcopaedia. I wish him continued success in the future. I do wish he'd do something a little different and bring out a Condor equiv.

Status
Not open for further replies.