PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Stupid, stupid, STUPID!
Working at my "garage office," in a hurry because trying to finish a pipe was making me late, I knocked out my pipe against my knee, rubbed out the dottle with my shoe as I pushed a pipe cleaner in it, and split. When I returned five and a half hours later, I smelled a gawd-awful smell when I opened the garage door.
My computer desk is on a little rectangle of old, old carpet that I should have thrown away many years ago. Just never thought I had the time to clear everything off it to pick it up and put it in the dumpster.
Tiny wisps of smoke were coming from a 3-foot-long, 18-inch-wide scorched patch. Evidently my usual rub-out with the toe of my shoes hadn't been enough to stifle an ember. Had there been a breeze at all, I'm sure it would have whipped it into flame.
There was no fire -- but could have been.
I never worried about protecting the floor because it's a dingy old cement garage floor. And that this scrap of carpet had sawdust and ash gathering on it from me being to lazy and unconcerned about it, I didn't worry about it. It had never been a problem.
I have a metal can now, but gee-shhh.
Posting it as a warning to anyone who might not be using a dedicated ash-keeper where they smoke. I suppose the same goes for lawns, this time of year?
Careless.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
In a related note, somewhat... how many of you have a tiny, pinpoint, ember hole in a shirt or jacket you wear? I'm wondering if a need a pipe bib, too!

Jan 8, 2013
Close call 12pups. It should remind us all that even though it's not a cigarette doesn't mean we shouldn't be careful. Glad to hear the worst didn't happen.

Mar 1, 2014
Yup, those embers are hot stuff.

A while ago I dumped some in the mail burner (for those things that need to be destroyed, not thrown out) and it flared right up even though everything looked thoroughly burnt and had been sitting unlit for days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's only the fires that you want to start, like a camp fire, that are difficult to start. The rest touch right off

with no problem.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Yes, I get holes in shirts. I'm just glad it's not my beard. I am really careful with full bents because they sit there, right on my beard. I'm not giving up pipes and I'm not giving up my beard, so I must stay diligent.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't know Joe ... theft, arson ...
Starting to look like an insurance scam here ... 8O
LOL ... I kid, I kid!! :rofl:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a great reminder and rsunivs picture really drive it home. I have a glass ashtray, which I occasionally empty into the garage trash can. Even though the ashes may be days old, I still dump them into a cup with water first.
I have a picture some where of a new exhaust I was putting onto our '96 Impala SS. I took some pix of the old system, then set about cutting it into pieces with a grinder, spark flying everywhere. Only later did I notice the 5 gallon gas can sitting beside the system with the vent open, one errant spark, boom....

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I remember once, as a teen, that my friends and I were having a bottle rocket war with some neighbors. If that wasn't stupid enough my friends and I decided to duck inside a shed for a smoke break. Then we realized we were smoking, with bottle rockets firing at us, as we sat on 5 gallon gas cans. All that testosterone firing sure made us really stupid from fairly intelligent guys.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
So glad to hear you are safe 12pups and thank you for the reminder. I have a metal can but have been guilty of ashing on the concrete. It is definitely not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.