PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I haven't seen many restorations on high quality pipes, and haven't done many myself. I have a fondness for nice Italian pipes, but don't have the budget for the better ones.

Yeah, I know Ascorti pipes are usually not the first choice for these type of pipes, as most seek out Castellos, Caminettos, or Radice pipes. I guess the Ascorti pipes sell for less because they were sold at Tinder Box stores. Who knows, but I like Ascorti pipes and feel they offer the same quality as Caminetto, and Radice pipes, yet at a lower price.
So anyway I found this pipe on ebay and the seller had a few Ascorti pipes for sale, and all had some serious problems with the end of the stem. For some reason this one was priced the cheapest, and had a make an offer option too. So I offered $30 plus shiping and it was accepted. Overall the pipe was in decent shape, but the button on the stem was totally destroyed by the previous owner. I got this because I like a challenge, and even though it took about 7 hours of work for the complete pipe, it came out pretty good, and is almost good as new now.
These pics show the pipe as I got it, except for the fact that I had already started working on it, when I remembered to take some before pics. All I had done at this point was ream out the considerable cake, and lightly sand the funky stuff off the end of the stem.

img_00141-600x433.jpg

img_00123-600x449.jpg

img_00111-600x449.jpg

As you can see, the bowl was pretty good, but the stem button is really sad

Next pics are of the restored pipe. I cleaned the inside and outside and waxed the bowl, and after rebuilding the stem with black super glue, with glue accelerator, I had a LOT of filing and sanding to do. Then some polishing with tripoli, white diamond, and it looks pretty good. I don't think the button is true to original, but I made it the way I wanted it to look and feel in my mouth. My other Ascorti has a thinner button, but I actually like this better.

img_0016-600x432.jpg

img_00211-600x449.jpg

img_0018-600x458.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Have you tried replacing that much missing stem material with cyanoacrylate before, or is this an experiment? I'm asking because while superglue is tough stuff---essentially liquid acrylic that becomes solid when exposed to moisture---it doesn't fill voids well (like epoxy), and has a low shear strength. Exactly the wrong characteristics for this particular mission, I'd think.
Or, maybe that doesn't matter because the pipe is for personal use and you're not a clencher? Enquiring repair-minded minds want to know. You know? :lol:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
That is a home run, I have an old Ascorti made by Pepanio, and it truly a smoking machine, smoked it this afternoon. Pat yourself on the back Orley, but then any man that can do what you did on that pipe that had a piece missing on the bowl it doesn't"t surprise me.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
@georged: no I haven't replaced that much stem before, but close to it. I've never had a problem with the fills I've done with black super glue on stems before, but would welcome some black epoxy. J B Weld doesn't cut it color wise, even if I mix in some lamp black. I don't clench large pipes like this though. Bear in mind that I'm the poor mans restorer. I do whatever I can to smoke a higher quality pipe, even if it seems a little dicey, as long as it's not toxic.
Bradley: thanks for the comments. This is definitely a pipe that would fit your style I'm sure, as it's a big-un.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Great resto! Amazing job on the bit! I'm sure it'll give you some great smokes!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I would have assumed the bit was irreparably damaged. Can't find the right superlative that has not already been applied. I'll go with startlingly impressive.
Pax

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Very nice! You did a great job. I have a couple of Ascorti New Dears and they are some of my favorite smokers.

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
Very nicely done. I have worked with gap filling super glue on other projects but never a pipe stem. It can be tricky to work with but boy you sure nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.