PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
As the weather gets warmer so has my taste. I have been smoking a lot this winter because of the schoolwork I had to read. Also, my wife lets me smoke in the apartment. One of the advantages of living in a pre-war building in NYC is the radiators get really hot. This allows you to keep the windows open without freezing your butt off. That said, Ive mostly been an aromatic smoker this winter. I smoked a lot on 1 Q mixed in with Anni Kake and Chatham Manor in the morning. I went for the light, aromatic lat blends like Frog Morton Cellar and Northwoods very rarely after dinner.
I find that since the weather has gotten better, I kind of crave the earthy, smokey taste of latakia and orientals. I'm back to where I started last year with Early Morning Pipe in the morning. This is a great blend. It has been sitting in the jar since the early fall, untouched. Man, it is good right now. Esp. with my coffee. Sweet, earthy, smokey. I think my cadence has improved too. Maybe that's why this bowl tastes so good right now. I've been smoking it for the last 45 minutes. No plumes of smoke. Just, tendrils of tasty smoke. What a treat. There's nothing like lat and orientals with coffee. I just love the combination of flavors.
Now onto Northwoods and Frog Morton Cellar. They are both really tasty, sweet, aromatic lat blends. I think there is Cavendish in them or some kind of topping. This is really not a bad thing. They are similar in that they are light and have a fruity, note. They definitely have to be puffed slowly or they will lose their flavor. I can tell when I am smoking too fast because it just turns to flavorless smoke. Esp with northwoods. When it gets hot at the bottom, I get a juicy fruit gum taste (PG?). When I slow down, its just goodness throughout.
My VaPer bleds have been sitting in jars (except for Anni Kake - for some reason I consider this an aromatic). I smoked them a lot in the late summer and fall. A few months is not really aging but I think they will be good when I smoke them again.
A forum member gave me a 14 year old tin of Pembroke. He's like the VaPer fairy. Just sprinkled my cellar full of VaPer goodness. I currently do not have any empty jars but the Pembroke is calling to me. Thanks again for that you know who you are. Latakia and cognac sounds really inviting right now. I wanted to open it before but its 14 years old. I felt it needed an occasion. But you know what, life is an occasion.
Enough of my rambling. Thanks for reading my thoughts. Happy trails. Happy smoking.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
During the winter I go with aro blends because they don't stink up my car afterwards, which is the only place I can smoke "indoors." But once the weather perks up it is back to Va/VaPer/English blends. Pack a pipe of something from my cabinet and head out to the patio.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Hahah! Really? I don't know. Now that I think about it... maybe. I just googled it. The soap is called "As the World Turns".

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I have been wondering if my rotation will be different in the warm weather. All winter I was learning about Latakia and orientals and having a great time. Recently I picked up some Virginias and a Va/Per. I wonder if they will get more air time in the summer. Mind you I am sitting by the fire right now and the idea of a hot day here in the Pacific Noeth West does not seem that close.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I haven't attuned my choices to the weather, although something about those cold rainy kind of days says London, England, and bring those smokey lats to mind.

There was a soap opera for Pipe Smokers. It was called...............................

The Guiding Light :rofl:

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I wish I lived in a place that actually had seasons to attune my smoking to. I live in the hot dry desert that is southern California, and it's just hot and dry all the time. For me it's the time of day rather than the time of year. Just started to explore the VA/VaPer with a tin of Viprati, and it's quite nice, it has helped me to recognize the VA that is in the Lat/English blends I've been smoking.

That is so cool that some very nice person blessed you with the 14 y.o. Pembroke. It must be hard wanting to smoke it and also wanting to let it keep aging, but like they say, smoke 'em if you got 'em. Try a bowl and jar the rest...how much better can it get from where it's at by now?

Early Morning Pipe is definitely a great anytime smoke. One of the first I tried and one my faves.

Lots of pipe smokers in NYC?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.