PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
According to a new study from marketing intelligence firm SimilarWeb, people are spending less time on social media apps like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat. The company analyzed Android users' daily time spent on these social networks from January to March 2016 with the same period in 2015, which included data from the U.S., UK, Germany, Spain, Australia, India, South Africa, Brazil and Spain.
https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/06/07/2034259/report-people-are-spending-much-less-time-on-social-media
In other words, people are using more messaging/email/forums and less of these silly share-and-be-cool sites. I found Facebook to be very useful at first, then less useful as everyone got online and started using it as a time-waster, and now to be just as spammy as an unfiltered email feed. The upside of that is that places like this forum will see an uptick in traffic as the power users flee social media.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The upside of that is that places like this forum will see an uptick in traffic as the power users flee social media.
I doubt it. People started jumping off the threaded forum ship once they realized that the lack of body language, vocal tone, and so forth makes disagreement without escalation virtually impossible in an all-written environment, and they got sick of it.
Nothing about that dynamic has changed, though.
The whole social network "share and be cool" app-driven world might be shrinking for its own reasons, in other words, but that doesn't fix the fundamental problems of the technology that preceded it.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I doubt it as well. The Forum format won't ever become anything remotely approaching popular and social media will evolve and change and always be a force.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One trend I've seen reported is younger people abandoning Facebook because their parents and grandparents are going there. From direct contact I've heard that people are spending less time on Facebook because it's a time hog and isn't that interesting, too many "friends" they don't know, and too many posts they don't care to read. A strong repellant to me is the re-use of data and information that monetizes information about people at their expense.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
With VR and AR will come an entirely new social media, but the Giants have the money to build the framework and will therefor dominate for many, many years to come. Of course facebook, in it current form, will decrease in use, but it'll grow with what comes next and the generation that grows up with it. Social media won't die, but it will evolve. As we become one big super organism, the transmission of data and the speed with which its transmitted, this is the future.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Seems highly unlikely to me.

Way too many social media zombies are already addicted to such places such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Way too many social media zombies are already addicted to such places such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

lvQ6o4j.jpg

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Social Media won't die, it will just evolve. Forums are a dying breed, as we can't possibly find forums for all of our interests. What work that would be! I am, however, happy we have our niche here.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Social media will never die because it has created an entire generation of socially inept people who have no idea how to talk to each other. Facebook is the bane of the 21st century and it will eventually ruin civilization as we know it.

May 4, 2015
I use Facebook as a forum anyway. Got rid of my personal page and "friends" and only use it for event organizing and common interest local groups.
I think Facebook has had its peak. Most of us are tired of having advertising shoved down our throats and are also pretty weary of all the "outrage bait."

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Im not on Snapcht, Tumblr or Instagrm (Yeah, I removed the last "vowl" on all of them) I do use FB, and I have a G+ and Twitter account that I rarely use.
Id like to simply transition over to G+ completely, but all my family is on FB. Actually, that might be an incentive. :D

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The social media zombie is a myth dreamt up by the previous generation as reaction to their own feelings in inadequacy and times passage. The telephone drew similar reactions. Society evolves. Get over yourselves ;)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The social media zombie is a myth dreamt up by the previous generation as reaction to their own feelings in inadequacy and times passage. The telephone drew similar reactions. Society evolves. Get over yourselves ;)
Ah... the Wisdom of Youth. :lol:
Nate: You know how playing in a sandbox or climbing in a treehouse seemed silly when you reached your teens, then all that "teen stuff" seemed silly when you reached your early 20's? Well, that process never stops. When you're 40 you'll look back on what you thought was important at 25 and laugh. Then, when you reach 60, what you did and how you thought at 40 will seem childish and absurd.
It isn't right and it isn't wrong. That's just how it is, young padawan.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The wife and I ditched facebook cold turkey6 or so years ago and well never go back. This forum on the other hand, will never leave my mind...

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm actually 44... and an old 44 at that. Been through hell and back again.
edit: not so much back again as to hell... But hopefully soon :)

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Social media won't go away simply because those inept people Harris mentioned won't have any other way to communicate.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The postal service, the radio, the telephone, the television, the computer... we didn't start the fire... We've been growing apart FAR before the cell phone.
The phone is on its way out to. AR & VR are the future. Cell phones will seem arcane VERY soon.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I have a Facebook account that I only used for work to catch people lying to me in the course of my previous job. Amazing what people will post on there and what fun it was to show them the evidence of their guilt.
I don't use any other social media apps nor do I text. I have a Trac phone for emergencies when traveling and still have a land line. I like to speak directly with people.
As far as forums go, I use this one and once in a while a cigar forum. I am beyond careful when posting here and reread what I write before hitting the send button to be sure I say what I mean and to insure that other members do not take what I say in the wrong way. Once I know someone, I can then to a few shots in jest but even that is very rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.