PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
This is by no means an attempt to bash artisan makers or their work, but I am very curious to know why so many artisans make pipes that are shaped so oddly compared to what I consider to be normal pipe shapes? I often see them labeled things like blowfish or fan, or even very odd volcanoes. Is it merely their own artistic flare? Please enlighten.
(I am aware this doesn't include all artisans, and I respect their work greatly. I am also aware of commissions, of which I'm not referring to.)

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I have to agree. Like modern art, much of it I just don't get. I prefer the classic pipe shapes. But, if we all preferred the same things, the hobby would be a lot less interesting.

Inversely, I wonder why so many artisan would make pipes that you can already find overwhelming the factory market. Why make a Billiard, when you can already find a billion of them? Why not make things that are out of the box creative, if you are going to make something from scratch? Of course there are collectors of these regular shapes that look for artisans to make them. But, I imagine for some artisans, it would be dull as crap constantly doing "usual" shapes. But, for me, I look for the unusual. If I want usual and ordinary, I wouldn't pay an ungodly amount for something that already is out there in factory shapes by the boxloads.
And, I would bet that some artisans are wanting to find a shape or set of shapes that define their aesthetic. Some appeal to me, some down. I am repulsed by a thick shank on a pipe. To me that is like having a pretty woman with a big fat leg. Petersons and Briarworks to me are like a Botticelli with the leg of Roseanne Barr. No thanks.
But, there are artisans that have unusual qualities that do appeal to me, like the use of curves, or proportions, angles, cants, etc. I really love the way Paulo Becker played with the traditional shapes, but making them into something new.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
It'd be pretty boring is they all made the same stuff. Also they appeal to the people who like the different or unique. Sometimes you wouldn't think you'd like a certain shape or design until you see it done. Even if it's not for you, it's fun to see the creativity and appreciate the work put into it. Don't get me wrong, I love the "boring" classic shapes too!

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
cosmicfolklore - Why make a Billiard, when you can already find a billion of them?
Because it's an exacting shape with rules and limitations. Anyone that has ever seen a pipe knows what to expect from one and knows when it's not "right" even if they may not know why. Getting a classic billiard correct is much harder than free-forming a pipe without any rules at all. The true skill comes into play when the artisan can find expression within the boundaries set by the shape.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
chalbach72, I cannot speak for them since I do not or have not made pipes. A pipe, is functional art, it has utility. But a pipe does not have to be smoked to be appreciated. We look at the pipes of others, which we will never smoke, and have regard for the beauty of line, texture, fit and finish etc. Artist as a whole do not want to produce the mundane. Whether it is music, painting, sculpting, pipe making, or whatever. They are often seeking to create something that evokes the emotions in others. To simply reproduce a product repetitively really does not appeal to most artist as they begin to mature. I'm sure they would be happy to do a commissioned work, but left to their own devices they like to experiment with all the variables to "push themselves".

This is not to say we are above the needs of producing a living wage when the work is done for more that purely self fulfillment. Look at men and women who work in commercial illustration for a wage, producing what the job calls for, while attempting to impart their own creativity. Later they retire and go on to produce wonderful fine art, or do so on the side while making a living producing whatever the market demands in order to sustain themselves and their family. Just my take. :)

Because it's an exacting shape with rules and limitations.

I get that. Although, if I made pipes, I would avoid those butt-ordinary billiards myself. Like I said, if I have all of the creativity at my disposal, to make pipes in any shape, I would explore the most diverse realms of what a pipe can be. But, not all pipe makers do this, and that's OK. They are fine making those billiards with exact rules guiding them. But me, I want someone daring, someone to make something that pushes the limit, especially if I am going to be paying top dollar for it. For a regular old billiard, I would expect it to fall within a more ordinary price range, because that deadhorse shape is already been beaten to a pulp.
Just my 0.02.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Guess I get to be odd man out here. I like artisan freehands and personal creations over the traditional. That's primarily why I despise Dunhill which I have often called "overpriced Dr. Grabows". Hybrid shapes are fun too like Weaver's corndog and dogfish. My next big buy will likely be a ring blast nautilus.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
Glad to see such different opinions from you all! I personally can appreciate the artistry and attention to detail in these pipes; Personally, I just don't find many freehand artisan pipes to my liking. I suppose I'm just a traditional guy! :D

Chasingembers, join me in being the oddman. Ha ha.

For clarification, I don't like those dublin-esque shapes that get called "freehand" as a shape category. I do like some that were made in a freehand manner. I even like some of the unique shapes that were made on the lathe as well. Anything other than ordinary. But, there is also a category that gets called freehand, I think this was started by the Danish pipemakers. I'm not as big a fan of those. But, a bulldog with funky proportions, exaggerated cants or angles... a dublin with unique angles, exaggerated proportions as well, stemwork, etc...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Which do you prefer? The 1955 Chevy, or the Lamborghini? A Nording freehand or a MM freehand? or better yet, a hand made freehand, start to finish with all the work done by one certifiable master?

A hunk of wood and plastic with a hole in it. Old, never to be seen again briar to whatever is left?

Tradition or its interpretation? Creativity or craftsmanship? I know, "both". :D

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Like I said, if I have all of the creativity at my disposal, to make pipes in any shape, I would explore the most diverse realms of what a pipe can be.
No problem with that at all. That's exactly what experienced artisans should be doing. Rules are made to be broken, but only after you learn how to follow them. Creating dead-perfect classic shape proves a mastery of the medium. If you can't carve a good billiard, then I'm not interested in your flowing, over/under, blowhorny thing. To me, that's just the same as kindergartners scribbling without any rules.
Also, what about exploring the most diverse realms of what a classic pipe shape can be? I completely disagree that every billiard is exactly like the cookie-cutter billiard that came before it. There's still plenty of room for artistic expression. If an artisan is cranking out xerox copies of factory pipes then he needs to find a new craft.

Piffyr, I have no problems with that either. I am just responding to the OP.
However, I could see a good argument for avoiding the classic shapes also- So what, be damned those that want to judge you by your "classic shape." Cram the classic shapes. If those that want a billiard are turned off, go to one of the thousands of other pipemakers who make those.

But, I know what your saying. That is the typical argument by the main stream crowd. "How can you make something unique till you have the plain boring shapes mastered?" But, I applaud those who step out of that framework. I've never cared for the conservative humbugs. Give me the aväntˈɡärd!!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
piffyr, exactly! Look at the creations of the likes of Bo Nordh or Lars Ivarsson. Gorgeous freehand work! newbroom, I'll go half way and say a '74 Javelin. :mrgreen:

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I like the classic "beat to death/pulp" shapes, but I would find it boring if that was the entirety of it all. I care far more about the wood, the Bird's Eyes, the grain than I do about a particular shape. Not a big blast fan but again, how boring would it be without all the above in terms of shapes, finishes, stems, whatever. In my world everyone would be smoking a traditional Zulu. I like trucks, but have had many many different vehicles. Had a Z06 blow past me yesterday on a two lane country road, and I thought, how cool is that thing. Not my cup of tea, but uber cool.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
My problem with certain artisans is with symmetry and proportion, or lack thereof. A lot of the new shapes are jarring to the eye. The Italians have made pipes for years that "weren't to classic specs" but they make pipes that are aesthetically pleasing, with balance and proportion. If you don't want to go with standard shapes, that's cool. But if you make something that looks like you lifted it out of a Picasso (and want "artisan" prices for it) I have to question if you are a pipe maker or a pipe caricaturist.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
My problem with certain artisans is with symmetry and proportion, or lack thereof. A lot of the new shapes are jarring to the eye.
That's a good observation and explains quite well what I experience when seeing many of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.