PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
A friend of mine decided to gift me a pipe of my choice for Xmas.

I scoured pipesandcigars and smokingpipes for some options,

I was wondering if there are some artisans that have their own sites where the sell the pipes from.

Similarly to Eldritch pipes.
My budget is around 120$

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Google Bob Clark Elijah Cole pipes. Made from 50 year old French briar and, IMO, one of the best smoking pipes made, regardless of cost.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Bob Clark Elijah Cole pipes.
Good information Steve. Anyone who used to be a commercial fisherman is ok in my book!
Some others to check out from Chris Askwith in the U.K.,
http://www.askwithpipes.com/handfinished.html

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Jason Zeiner made this for me. The best $135 I ever spent. This young man has "the gift".
DJkQKeS.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd look at the finished pipes by an artisan before considering a commission. This will give you a clear idea of his or her work, and also give you surer satisfaction if you find something that is just what you want. I have a wonderful artisan pipe carver, but only if you live in North Carolina or within striking distance, because he does not sell online; he does pipes in briar, Mountain Laurel, cocobolo and maple, and within your price, but only sells twice a year. If you're interested in that, send me a PM. Otherwise, I'd say you are looking for a very young, big talent who is selling low to gain a reputation. There are one or two carvers on Forums who might fit this category, but I'm not sure about their pricing. There are also several experienced carvers, but those prices are much higher.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Site sponsor pipes2smoke does often have excellent estate pipes in that range. He's totally deserving of throwing tons of business his way. If you want an unsmoked pipe, yeah, a preturned bowl with a hand finished stem is probably a good option. Though, I might be inclined to look at something from briarworks that way you know the quality of the briar will be high.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 on Briarworks. Some of their lower priced pipes may be less in the artisanal category, but they are excellent hand-finished pipes. Right now, smokingpipes.com has three pages of them from $90 to above $400, the pricier ones entirely handmade no doubt.

Jan 8, 2013
I make pipes in that range but they sure aren't artisan worthy!
Don't sell yourself short. You're still learning, still improving, but you are an artisan making pipes. And some of those have been real nice in my opinion.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
That Rhodesian is beautiful. The black/brown and smooth/rusticated contrast make it pop. The blue stem is not for me but it's not pipe so I'll leave it at that!

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I posted the question on a couple of places so the response ended up being a bit overwhelming for me to take care of individually.

But thanks each and every one of you for contributing.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Adam said:

I make pipes in that range but they sure aren't artisan worthy!

8O

True story, I came on the board this am and the first thought that jumped out to me was "I wonder what's happening with Carmette pipes today".
Not sure if I ever mentioned it, but I really liked that nose warmer r/calabash.

Status
Not open for further replies.