PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Hi guys,
Complete noob here! Do artisan pipes smoke as well as say a Savinelli? There's a pretty good PEDER JEPPESEN pipe I'm eyeing up right now but not sure if it'll smoke as well as a good quality factory pipe like the Savinelli I just got? Are Artisan pipes just for collection purposes?
Thanks!

It really just depends... Some will make great smoking pipes, and some will make great looking pipes, and some will make both. A Peder is going to be a great smoking pipe. But, whether it is "better" than a Savinelli is subjective. In what way better are you expecting? I mean, a Savinelli is a pretty good pipe, but like a simple tool, there's only so much that can be done to make it better. Peders can range on attention to detail in the stem, slot and button. So, I would personally give a good look at the stem details, unless you just really like the looks. This doesn't seem important, but I give my better looking pipes more smokes, because I just enjoy them more.
All in all, it depends on what is important to you. Honestly, there's not going to be a drastic jump in luxury smokability in just being an artisan made pipe.

Sep 18, 2015
There are no guarantees on how any pipe will smoke. An Artisan is a one of a kind unique piece, this gives the maker the opportunity to pay more attention to details and Should result in a good smoking pipe, I think it depends on the skill of the maker.

I have three Artisan pipes none of which I would consider fully broke in yet, one of these has been a bitch to figure out, one I would consider very good and getting better and one that has been fantastic from the very first smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a couple of Peder's pipes and they smoke great. His Neerup line are also good pipes. I also have five Bruce Weaver pieces and a sixth being made, a Bruto Sordini volcano, a few of Preben Holm's freehands, and a Marco Biagini magnum that are also great pipes. Not to mention a great little volcano from forum member clickklick. My Savinelli 904 smokes just as well as any of my artisans, it really just comes down to asthetics and how much you are willing to pay for something you want. Even a corn cob can provide an amazing smoke.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Thanks guys,
Actually, there's another pipe I'm eyeing up but it's REALLY expensive however if it smokes as well as a Savinelli (doesn't have to be better) and will last about 20-25 years, then I think it's worth buying. Anybody experienced here could please take a look and give feedback (does it look fragile? Will it last 20ish years? It looks like the bowl has been glued on?!):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUIGI-VIPRATI-Jahrespfeife-2016-No-5-100-Hand-Made-Italy-9mm-Pfeife-/151995974725?hash=item2363aa8445:g:YN0AAOSwe7BW0EeW

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I own two Luigi Viprati pipes, both fine smokers. The aesthetic of that particular pipe doesn't appeal to me, but that means absolutely nothing in the context of your question. For a very interesting series of videos on Viprati, see here,
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=la+pipa+viprati

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

In short... probably? I'd say most pipes end up being good smokers regardless of the maker. Although, many don't. An artisan pipe from a well-known reputable maker has a greater chance of being a more enjoyable smoke than say a low grade Savinelli, but it's really all relative. Savinelli makes some great pipes with a range of qualities. I've always thought that the price of a pipe is usually reflective of the materials used, level of craftsmanship, and time spent making it. Savinelli has proven it can meet and exceed these factors, but not all artisan pipe makers have.
All pipes are made to be smoked in my opinion, and those that maybe weren't shouldn't have been made in the first place because that's stupid to make a pipe meant for only collecting. I know they're out there, but it's the owner and not the maker that determines that a pipe will only be collected and not smoked. Both artisan and factory production pipe makers do a good job of making some real pieces of art that easily convince the owner not to smoke them though. I don't know? Don't ask me? I say skip the Savinelli and Jeppensen and go with a new Dunhill or Kyrianzanos, just not one of the ones I want.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I've never bought an expensive pipe that wasn't a decent smoker at least. Probably the very best smoker I own is this David Rhodes:
Rhodesbulldog2.jpg

The draw on that pipe is truly perfect.
That said, my Dunhill and a couple of my Pete's are very close seconds, while I have a pipe by another artisan that just doesn't QUITE smoke as well as it should -- although I learned to really baby it and then it's fine.
In the end, you are burning leaves in a piece of wood with a big hole at one end and a small hole at the other. It's an imperfect science at best. Even guys who can drill that perfect draft into the bottom of the bowl, so the air moves without disturbance may not be able to do so every time.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I think for many, including myself, an artisan pipe feels like is smokes better because its one of a kind, unique, handmade and in most cases more expensive. Plus for those of us able to go to pipe shows, getting to know the person who spent hours making that pipe also makes having/smoking an artisan pipe special.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I currently own 45 artisan pipes and yes they smoke better then my Savinelli Linea Piu 5 which was the first pipe I ever bought.
Now when I say better, I am including the hand cut stems which for me is a huge deal. My Savinelli stem is made out of acrylic which I hate, and the design of the stem and button, makes for an uncomfortable smoking experience. Now the Sav does smoke cool and dry and what ever I put in it smokes fine. For a new smoker I always recommend a Sav.
If you have the money, I highly suggest getting a nice artisan pipe so you can compare it to a Sav or other factory pipes. You will want one from a well known artisan, and make sure the pipe has a hand cut stem made from the finest German vulcanite. What I look for in an artisan pipe besides the stem, is fit and finish. Does the pipe have dimensions that fit my strict criteria like a 4mm shank opening. Is the design something that my eye enjoys.
There are many other aspects that I look for in my artisan pipes. One of the main things I look for is how well a pipe will smoke my flake tobacco. I only smoke flakes so a pipe has to be the right size and have a good balance as I clench all my pipes. For a long time I had no set criteria for how I bought pipes, I was all over the place and pretty clueless for a number of years. I had trouble matching my pipes to the tobacco I was smoking, but finally figured it out, for me.
Here are some names of the artisans in my collection.

Rad Davis ( retired have to look for estate pieces)

Brian Ruthenberg ( retired have to look for estate pieces)

Bruce Weaver

Ryan Alden( best bang for the buck of newer artisans)

Scott Thile

Michael Parks

Zack Hamric( one of the moderators at this site and a personal friend)

Wyane Tepein

Abe Herbaugh

Stephen Downie

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Update: So I bought the Luigi Viprati....and it's the best smoking experience I've had so far! It trumps my cobs and savinelli 320 :) In my humble opinion, if you're going to buy a briar, go for a really good one with premium quality briar, otherwise, just stick with cobs. I think the briar of my sav 320 is low quality as it's at the lower end of the savinelli range? I prefer my cobs to the 320 but the Viprati trumps all! Brilliant smoke :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Artisans are trying to make an excellent smoking pipe but a different one each time, so their challenge is greater, pipe by pipe. Well made factory pipes like Savinelli, Stanwell, many French makes, have the advantage of an assembly line that makes the same shape thousands and thousands of times, so if the management and training are good, the dependability is very good. However, an artisanal pipe is also something of a work of art, and some of the craft soars to extremely high levels. So if you can afford an artisan pipe, or several, or more, you will probably enjoy that aspect, the very appetizing matter of smoking a one-of-a-kind pipe. Even good factories can turn out a clunker now and then, as can even accomplished artisans, so shop carefully, always.

Jan 8, 2013
I think it depends on many things, including the curing of the briar, and how open or restricted the draw is, as well as the diameter and depth of the chamber in regards to what kind of blend you are smoking in relation to your own personal technique. All these factors can come from a factory or artisan made pipe. My advise is... if you like an artisan made pipe, do some research here by asking questions about the maker's pipes. Do the same with factory made pipes. That's the great thing about this forum. Everyone will help you find a great pipe! :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I would think that someone trying to develop his 'brand' or value in the pipe world, ok, community....

they might be awfully certain of the internal engineering.

I agree that stem work separates a lot of pipes so, there's that to consider too.

After watching a couple of recent videos of pipe manufacturer's Peterson and Grabow, I don't think you could argue that their methods are quite so automated as to eliminate experienced human input. Sheer volume would suggest that a few stinkers get by.

You want a garontee? You go see Walt.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Glad you had a good experience.
IMO, drilling the pipe to smoke well is the easiest thing about making a pipe. That doesn't mean it's not easy to screw it up royally. But drilling is pretty simple engineering: holes of the correct size intersecting in the right places. An artisan/independent pipe-maker who doesn't know how/care enough to correctly drill a pipe won't last long in the business.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I can not compete with many of the posters here but I have owned at least 90 pipes. I can say confidently that at least half were poorly drilled. All of those were low to middle factory pipes. If it is the easiest thing, why do so many manufacturers do it so poorly?
I have never seen a poorly drilled "Artisan" pipe....( i hate that phrase). I suppose I would prefer craftsman pipe.
Anyway..poor drilling in my opinion leads to poor smoking.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
IMO, Mark Tinsky makes a well engineered pipe just about anyway you want one and at a very reasonable price.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can say confidently that at least half were poorly drilled.
That's amazing! I've owned hundreds of pipes, but very few were badly drilled, and that was primarily "artisan" work. I'm surprised that such problems happen on a largely machine driven pipeline, which is usually the method for producing low to mid range priced pipes. Were these Petersons? They seem to be the factory make with the greatest report of quality issues by their customers.
Artisans are trying to make an excellent smoking pipe but a different one each time, so their challenge is greater, pipe by pipe.
I have a different view on this. Having the skill to repeatedly hand turn a flawless shape with the exactitude required to meet the specs of a specific model, and do that on a schedule, takes more basic skill. Those old British and French carvers could easily stand with, and possibly beat the pants off, any of today's celebrated artisans.
I have both factory and artisan pipes and enjoy them both. I see no inherent superiority with one system of manufacture over the other from the standpoint of producing a great smoking implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.