PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
According to the FDA standards, is there a difference between a professional artisan pipe carver, and a guy who carves pipes in his spare time and sells them?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The last reading I did of the deeming in this regard made no discrimination between a guy making pipes in his basement, 2 a year, and a "pipe factory". There are words like "final sealed packaging" and that kind of thing that would maybe be loopholes for the artisan, but the truth is, the deeming was written up to capture "delivery appliances" eg Vape pens. I just can't see the government trying to hunt pipe makers to extinction - there's no money in it.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yes, there's workarounds, which is why this kind of draconian legislation is only aimed at big players. Up here in the Great White North, we have our share (or more!) of "we-know-what's-best-for-you" legislation, and we live with some of it, and some of it we find ways and means for. Not living in the USA, the FDA can't regulate what I produce, how I package it, or how it's labelled. If I want to mail refurbished smoking pipes to my friends, I will. And boy.... they'll look almost new.

Status
Not open for further replies.