PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Has anyone else on this forum ever purshased one of Marty Sim's pipes. He is a Canadian pipemaker, and calls his pipes Wombaroo.

It sounds more Australian than Canadian, but the pipe that I bought from him in Dec. '09 is a very nice pipe. And his shapes are pretty creative.

It is a largish pipe, about a Dunhill size 6, but fits the hand very well.

It is a dry smoking pipe, and there's nothing to get in the way of a nice relaxing smoke.

You owe it to yourselves to look at his site, as he is most reasonable in his prices, and the quality leaves nothing to be desired.

Here is the one I purchased, but he also has more clasic shapes available.
86-IMGP4417.jpg

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I just looked at his site a little. He has some really nice and interesting looking pipes. The prices are pretty reasonable as well.
I will keep him in mind when I am looking to buy my next pipe.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks all. I was looking to pick up a pipe from a custom maker, and contacted a few.

I ended up buying one from Mark Tinsky, and one from Marty Simm.

I was originally planning to get one from Boswell, in Penn. because I have read nothing but good things about them, but after talking with them by phone, I was left feeling a little ticked off. I have never delt with them before, but I was left feeling like they could care less if you bought one of their pipes or not.

According to the person I spoke with, "We have enough private orders. We aren't going to take anymore. Look at what we have available. That's it."

I'm sure they make good pipes, but they seem overwhelmed by orders or something.

The Wombaroo pipe from Marty is everything I was looking for. Thought I would share this discovery with you guys.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the heads-up max. You know, from everything I've read it seems that pipemakers work for the love of their craft -- the buzz being "don't plan on getting rich making pipes." Well, I'm sure there are many good pipemakers out there who appreciate their customers a little more than Boswell seems to. If demand for Boswell's is up, that should properly be reflected in their price, not their attitude.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Very nice max. You are a lucky man to have such a great pipe to enjoy for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.