PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I am sure I am not the only member here dealing with this ailment. If you don't have it (yet) be happy.
Arthritis sucks. Plain and simple. I suppose it is just a part of getting older. At this point I have it in my shoulder joints, elbows, hands, knees, hips, and ankles. Such is aging I guess.What are you going to do? It is what it is. Take Advil and deal with it I guess. Ah well, I guess it could be worse (and probably will be).
At least I can still hold and light a pipe.
Sorry, just griping. A cold front passed through last night and set it off big time.

toyman01

Lurker
Apr 2, 2011
I've got bursitis in one shoulder that bugs the hell out of me. Especially if I sleep on it wrong. I usually take Ibuprofen for it. It doesn't bother me too often, but when it does I can't lift my arm over my head. Makes it hard to do a job where everything is overhead.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
For those of us who have arthritis....just be glad you can take Advil etc...

This old guy is allergic to aspirin....that means I cannot take aspirin, Advil, Motrin etc.

Aloha! John..... :crying:

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Just looked up "Mobic"....it is also a member of the NSaid grp of drugs....( Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) which includes aspirin, Advil, Motrin etc...

So, as the Allergist said to me...."You're screwed"

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I find pipes help my chronic muscle spasms. 8 pills of baclofen a day doesn't always work. Not arthritis but gets worse in cold and rain lol.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
this is a subject i know way to much about... i have rhumatiod arthritus and have been sent out to pasture.
the pipe does not kill the pain, but it does wonders @ taking your mind from it. i smoke alot of flakes now because of my hands. when they get bad i can still stuff n puff flakes without spilling more than i smoke.
i used to smoke cigars but even though they are relaxing, they do not do the same for me as my pipes. it is the act itself of smoking a pipe that does the trick, not the tobacco.
when i fire up my pipe i kinda slip off into my mind, sailing away from the pain to other thing, revisiting the times when i was the cock of the walk. or i slip into what if mode, what if i do this, where will this path lead.
all of this leads away from my pain and makes me a happy camper.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
this is a subject i know way to much about... i have rhumatiod arthritus and have been sent out to pasture.
Sorry to read that. At this point, mine is pretty minor compared to what you are dealing with.
Wishing you many happy piping moments of relief.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
i take no nsaid, i have "graduated" to opioud drugs, natural and synthetic and i fight a constant battle with myself between how much pain i want vs how much drugs i want.
i do have 1 good thing about all of this, i have a gimp sticker and can park closer to the store in big spots...
no, 2 good things... people assume i am smoking pot and don't bitch as bad about my smoking a pipe, (i live in kalifornia).

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Doc has me on a pretty closely monitored regime of pain meds. Glad I have a good doctor rather than just a pill pusher.

Status
Not open for further replies.