PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I think many of you will agree that some pipes are real woks of art, not just the result of manufacturing skill or original ideas.

In my opinion several pipes from Tom Eltang, for example, are true pieces of art.

Here I'm showing an instance of what I mean.

Apart the subject, we can like it or not, I think this skull pipe by Andrey Savenko can be considered a work of art.
3HoxPXI.jpg
NN2L2a7.jpg

u

Here we don't have just the artisan's capability in reproducing a subject, like this one
JVejQbq.jpg

but the shape and the curves of this pipe go beyond the portrayed theme leaving it as something perfect by itself.
It's clear that there are many examples in more classic shapes. Which is your model of art in pipe?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I'm not touching this one. I love fantasy pipes, but sometimes their artfulness seems to come first before their function. I believe a pipe should be functional first, and the rest comes after.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Neither catch my eye as art. But, the old, time worn, observation; "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is applicable here. "What is art?" is subjective except for those who need the guidance of the critics to form an opinion.
I agree with clickklick on this one. The Eltang is simply "curves run amok" to my eye. I see no balance nor proportion.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I bought a really beautiful pipe that I just fell in love with. So gorgeously and artisticly carved. It was the most I had spent for a pipe until that time. It wasn't until I received it and tried to smoke from it that I realized that it was nearly impossible to hold in my dominant (left) hand. It wasn't in my collection long. For me, a pipe must function as a pipe first and foremost, then appeal to my individual artistic senses.

Status
Not open for further replies.