PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I see a few meerschaum lined Art Deco style Bakelite pipes with square shanks or diamond shanks & saddle bits around occasionally. The marked ones are usually either WDC or KB&B. Any love for these out there? My reason for asking is I have found a swirly green one that I haven't seen before and the color matches perfectly the swirly green apple Catalin poker chip carrier & chip set I have. I was wondering if it smokes well enough that I would enjoy it on poker night, or would I hate the thing before the night was over? It's priced a little high I think but probably because it is Bakelite & the unusual green color. Anyone know if green was more common than I think it was?

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Is the bowl and shank briar with just a bakelite stem like this one?
KBB Bakelite
Or is the body and stem bakelite with a screw on bowl like this one?
WDC Bakelite Body with Screw On Bowl
If the item is like the second one then I can't really comment as I don't own one. If like the first one I've listed, then I have a couple of these and found them to be very decent smokers.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
This one in unidentified but the green one is like this without the rim cap and it is either a KBB or WDC as I recall.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281648478133?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
If it's a meerschaum lined bakelite then I would go for it and feel pretty safe that it will be a decent smoker. Whether WDC or KBB, these examples of bakelite pipes should pre-date the take-over of either company by SM Frank and both companies made very high quality products under their original ownership (and for a certain amount of time after their acquisition). That's why these Pre-Frank items command a substantially higher price as opposed to their post take-over brethren. It wasn't until they were acquired by SM Frank that quality of materials and workmanship took a downturn and they became "value brands" (but that's a whole other thread in itself). I would say that as long as it's been well cared for and the meer lining is in good shape then you have a real good chance that it will be a very enjoyable poker night pipe. :)

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks for your input! I have never owned a meerschaum lined briar pipe but I understand the briar can absorb some of the moisture collected on the meerschaum liner. Bakelite would not absorb that moisture so my concern was that it might smoke wet and the meerschaum liner might need plenty of rest between smokes to dry out.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've had quite a few pipes in that style. I think they are beautiful to look at. For smoking they are just okay. Bents are better than straights because the moisture collects in the chamber below the bowl. Tip the pipe the wrong way and you get a mouthful of tobacco juice. It's less likely with a bent than a straight pipe, but it still can happen if you are an ash dumper. For the same reason, it's best to disassemble the pipe and clean it after every smoke. The meerschaum insert will be of the pressed variety. Ditto the wooden inserts. If you are a Falcon pipe guy and are accustomed to smoking those, you will probably enjoy pipes like this. I think the insert pipes are teens twenties pipes. Most of them are red. I sold a yellow one recently. Green would be a rarer but not necessarily more valuable color.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Xrundog, thanks for your input as well. Sounds like you have confirmed most of what I was thinking. If I were to buy this pipe it would be just as a novelty to match my Catalin poker set, which means the price would have to be commensurate with that. The pipe is in a retail setting with a retailers markup, so we're not there yet on price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds like you'd really have to love these things to make them worthwhile. Bakelite is a great material, a historical landmark in the development of plastic, but I think it would be a drag as a tobacco pipe, but that's just me.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I'd love to see this! If it's above your range, I might just grab it-- I adore bakelite and catalin.

Status
Not open for further replies.