PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For any other weirdos like me out there who used to enjoy listening to Art Bell, you’ll be glad to know he is returning to radio on SiriusXM on September 16th.
http://artbell.com/

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I thought he was living in the phillipines. Now he's back in nevada?

What happend?

Jan 8, 2013
I used to love listening to him on Coast to Coast Am. I like George Noory as well of course. He also does great on that show. Been about a year or so since I listened in on that show, but they used to occasionally replay Art Bell's interviews with Father Malachi Marten, the priest that inspired the Exorcist movies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I thought he was living in the phillipines. Now he's back in nevada?

What happend?
I don’t know when he went back to NV. I think he was always sort of living in both places...I’m pretty sure he never sold his NV property.
Dee-dee-dee-dah, Dee-dee-dee dah! (Twilight Zone music)
lol
I have XM but I'm not familar with Art Bell - what's the scoop? I do listen to Jay Thomas on Ch 104.
Art had an overnight radio talk show for many years...”Coast to Coast AM.” In the early to mid ‘90s he transitioned from social/political talk to primarily “paranormal” type subject matter. He went into sudden retirement due to personal/family problems and George Noory took over the show. Noory’s style is quite different from Art’s...very different feel to the show since he left.
I used to love listening to him on Coast to Coast Am. I like George Noory as well of course. He also does great on that show. Been about a year or so since I listened in on that show, but they used to occasionally replay Art Bell's interviews with Father Malachi Marten, the priest that inspired the Exorcist movies.
Those shows with Father Martin were classic.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
To further explain a little for anyone unfamiliar with Art’s show, he broadcasted out of his home in the NV desert. It was just him, with no call screeners. He took calls directly without knowing who was calling. He also interviewed scheduled guests.
He would cover everything from serious scientific subjects to really far out and sometimes comical stuff...and everything in between...leaving it up to the audience to sort it all out. All of this combined made the show the unique and entertaining thing it was.
Below is a classic example of a guy who called out of the blue claiming to be in a private plane flying into Area 51. IMO, obviously not real (although I’m sure some people believed it was) but quite funny and entertaining...especially on late night radio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ASP3aKVj4

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I enjoyed that show. I will have to check it out. It would be great to pick it up as a Podcast.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I use to work nights, with a long commute. Art Bell was not only interesting, but company on that long drive. Glad he's coming back, never really warmed up to George Noory.
The only XM radio I have is in my Buick. It's going to look funny with my wife and I sitting in the car for 3 hours in our driveway.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I enjoyed that show. I will have to check it out. It would be great to pick it up as a Podcast.
With a Sirius subscription you will be able to download the show archives. It’s a dilemma for me right now because I’ve never subscribed...and I’m not sure it’s worth the fee, even for Art.
I use to work nights, with a long commute. Art Bell was not only interesting, but company on that long drive. Glad he's coming back, never really warmed up to George Noory.
Same here...I worked nights a lot back then and was usually able to listen...I also don’t really care for Noory’s style and approach. The show is very different from what it was with Art.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I suffer from chronic pain and can not sleep much. Spent many, many nights listening to him and "The Truckin Bozo" as a last result...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I suffer from chronic pain and can not sleep much. Spent many, many nights listening to him and "The Truckin Bozo" as a last result...
Sorry to hear it...hope you are able to find some relief from that. Art had a lot of trouble from back pain...from falling from a telephone pole many years ago, as I recall the story.
Love Art Bell and George Nory (spelling probably wrong) Coast to Coast is fun to listen to
Yeah, even though I don’t care much for Noory’s style, he deserves a lot of credit for not only keeping the show going, but keeping it as big or even bigger than in Art’s time...and some of the changes are positive ones. I don’t hear it much anymore though because there are too few of the shows I really want to hear to make it worth subscribing. And I almost never listen to anything live anymore due to my personal schedule now...and also because I can’t tolerate all the commercials. I’ve gotten to where the only stuff I’ll listen to anymore is commercial-free downloads.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I started listening to Art Bell back in the late 1980's, and I gradually warmed up to Geoge Noory's style too.

Brian is right about the annoying commercials. It seems like there was only about 40 minutes of content per hour.

But hey, where else could you hear an interview with an exorcist, alien abductee, Area 51 insider, etc.? :lol:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I started listening to Art Bell back in the late 1980's
Wow, you were listening to Art even a bit before me. It was in ‘90 or ‘91 when I first started listening...I’m pretty sure he was still in a Vegas studio then...moved it to his home shortly after that.
I really loved the the mysterious Thunderbird episodes
Yeah, he did a number of good shows related to Native American lore...including one or two with some Hopi Elders who, if I remember correctly, had not ever done any other type of media interviews prior to that.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I always suspected they were coming here for the tobacco. It also explains the conspiracy behind making it ever more unaffordable for us Earthlings...they intend to have it all for themselves, cellared away in their caverns beneath New Mexico.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Let it also not be forgotten that Art played the role of William Paley on the wonderful series Dark Skies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eekbu0U0-yo

Status
Not open for further replies.