PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm currently selling my last tin of Pease's Raven's Wing, and noticed these small reddish dots that had started to form on the label. I dismissed them. . . until this morning, when it occurred to me -- duh! -- that they could be indicating rust underneath. So I removed a small portion of the label and, yes, the exterior of the tin is rusting beneath the label. I don't want to test the rusted patch too much, but it doesn't seem to have passed through the tin completely (yet).
I have never encountered rust like this on a tin before -- certainly not on one that's been cellared in a dry space for the last nine years. So I'm curious: Since the label has never been wet, and the rust is forming beneath the label, does that indicate that it actually began rusting from inside the tin? I know some of the Pease blends are shipped quite moist -- I've even had one tin of Bohemian Scandal mold on me after I opened it -- so I'm wondering if that's the cause.
I'm baffled. And I'm also suddenly concerned about the 80+ Pease tins (2oz., 8oz., and 1lb.) sitting in the cellar. . .
Thoughts?
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks, Mike!
After updating my auction listing with a photo of the rust and my description of the possible issues, I finally just decided to end it early. Even with a host of caveats, I didn't want to end up selling something -- for quite a bit more than its original price -- that I had doubts about. Better to just open it and see for myself that everything's fine. And, hey, maybe even pass some of it around. :)
Bob

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Well lets consider what is needed for rust to form. Of course moisture, metal, and air.
First I would check to see if the rust is penetrating from the outside. Poke the outside spots and see if the item pokes through the side. Obviously if it pokes through the tins integrity is compromised as well as the tobacco. Next I would open the tin and put it in a glass sealable container (mason jar). Then inspect the inside of the tin to see if the rust is apparent there. If so dispose of the tobacco. If not smoke it up or sell it loose, or you could send it to me. Lol.
But seriously PM me if you want to send it to me.

May 31, 2012
Hopefully the baccy is okay, it may just be fine 'n dandy...
...but the rusting has been a known issue with the older tall 'n skinny tins, here's an old quote from Craig Tarler on the issue:

Unfortunately, the tins from this time were not lined, food grade. This has been rectified for the last four or five years and we now use aluminum, lined, food grade tins.
I suggest you remove the tobacco to Mason jars and seal it tightly. There should be little or no degrading of the blend.
We apologize for any inconvenience and hope you continue to enjoy our products.
Craig

...here's an experience which sounds much like yours:

I have had this happen with perhaps a half dozen or so GLP tins from before 2005. The worst one was a few months ago with an 8oz. tin of Cairo with a 2005 date code. I noticed an orange stain soaking through the label and then two spots on the bottom of the tin. Upon opening and dumping out the contents, I found that the rust on the inside was just terrible, but the tobacco was fine. The small rust spots on the bottom poked right through when I lightly probed them with a toothpick! Into jars it went.
I must say that you sir are a true gentleman, it seems too many sellers nowadays are disregarding the pipeman's code of ethics, so I salute you!

:clap:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bob, unfortunately there were a lot of issues with those older Gl Pease tins and many did rust. I would inspect all of yours and get ready to start jarring it all up. I know it will be a huge pain, but what else can you do. If they show no signs of rust, shake it and listen, if it is really moving around in there, it may be really dry. I would open a tin like that to see what the tobacco is like. You may have a lot of tins that do not show rust but they also could be dried up as well.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Harris:
I was looking over my past PMs and saw that you had already warned me about this! (Funny what you can overlook if you're trying to avoid difficult news! :) )
If the new tins were implemented in 2005, I'm likely in pretty good shape; I've only got one tin each of Odyssey and Mephisto from 2004 and a single tin of Odyssey from 2005. (The majority of my Pease stock is from 2006 to the present.) Since I store all of my cellared blends in tubs (in an actual cellar) -- out of sight, in other words -- I'll do a spot check (no pun intended) of the tins to make sure everyone's still sleeping soundly.
In the past, I have had a number of 2003-2004 tins, though. And I never saw any indications of rust on any of them. This one was my first.
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Harris:
Time for an update. I just opened the Raven's Wing that was showing tiny rust spots on the outside. . . and the entire tin was dry as tinder. I'm talking crunchy crumbly dry. I noticed on the interior of the tin that the entire length of the vertical seam was rusted out and buckling, even though there was no sign of that happening on the outside of the tin. (The actual little rust spots that were staining the label were fine; they didn't penetrate the tin at all. But that rusted-out seam just killed the contents.)
I'm going to try to rehydrate it, but I'm disappointed to find that the dire warnings came to pass. . . :(
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bob, sorry to hear it. I had a bad feeling you were going to see this. I had the same issue with a couple of 2002 tins. I am planning on jarring all my 2013 Pease tins of Navigator in the next year or so. I am not taking the chance that even though they are a newer type of tin, the same thing won't happen. You should check a 2006 tin and see what it looks like.

Dec 24, 2012
Whoa - do you really believe that the GLP, C&D and Mc tins won't last? Would like to know, as I have a fair number, and don't want to jar any up.
Maybe GL Pease himself will appear, in a puff of smoke, and put our ease or minds on this issue.

May 31, 2012
Sorry to hear that Bob, hopefully it'll rehydrate nicely.
I have a tin of GLP Cumberland from 02 I've yet to open,

guess I should pop it for a looksee.
Roth, I also had an H&H tin (Stogie) with the rusted bottom, the regular H&H series is made by Altadis and I read that they've changed tins to address the problem, the Marquee series is made by C&D.
AFAIK it's only the old tallboy GLP tins that are prone to rust?
And hey, ya never know, that Raven's Wing may yet fly high and sing for you...I mean look at this rusty old tin that Mr. Loring had and swore it was a good smoke despite everything,

http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/tobacco-rustedtin.html
That Sweet Crop is about as rusted as it can get!

Status
Not open for further replies.