Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
No doubt, aros get somewhat of a bad rap. Many people seem to look down on them as "beginner tobaccos", perhaps. And I tend to believe that MOST aros do deserve a bad rap, as many of them destroy the natural taste of tobacco and either have a chemical taste or no taste at all. But there are a few good ones out there. I'm always impressed when an aro can "taste like it smells". I haven't experienced many of them, but there are some. Here's a thread in tribute to good aros.
Lane 1Q. A classic. A staple. I still keep plenty of it on hand. I break in new pipes with it, but sometimes I just go back to it for a tasty smoke.

C&D Autumn Evening: One of those rare aros that, to me, tastes exactly how it smells. I had no idea that smoke could ever taste like maple syrup.

Molto Dolce: Yeah...it's super goopy. But it's also super delicious. I don't know why, but it just tastes so good, and, I gotta confess, the commercial is right. "No tongue bite". Which is surprising considering how hot you gotta smoke it to keep it lit!

May 4, 2015
If you like Molto Dolce, give Crème Brulee a try.
Many believe them to be the same blend, and Crème Brulee is about 1/2 the cost.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The only two aros I like are Petersons Connoisseurs Blend and Penmans Choice, both because the tin note matches the taste. There is something inherently dishonest about aros that lie.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Repeating myself, my current favs that taste like they smell to me are Royal Yacht and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue. They might or might not work for you.

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
Ahh yes I like BCA as well. I can dig on black cavendishes. Probably 'cause that's the first tobacco I ever smoked. It's nostalgic for me.
Coyote, I never enjoyed PA either. It's been several years since I've had it, though. Maybe I'll give it another whirl.
I have a wife who is fairly tolerant of me smoking in the house. But there are some things I can't get away with. I can do straight VAs, but not VApers. I can do aros, for obvious reasons, but forget about English blends, or anything w/ Lat in it. I mostly smoke VAs, so that's okay. I can smoke Lats outside, and this time of year that's wonderful.
I never had CH. Gotta give that a try.
I also like Boswell's Bear Blend. Kind of a black cherry cavendish with a hint of lat in it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Refresh my memory; is 1-Q the one people often say is the same as Captain Black, or maybe Captain Black Royal?
I don't think blends not tasting like they smell is limited to aros; I just think the expectation for them to do so is much higher for some reason.
@Coyote- Oddly enough, I have never gotten the PA/cigarette parallel, although it seems to be very popular. I have smoked cigarettes, unfortunately, lots of them, good and bad, quality and budget. PA does not remind me of cigarettes any more than any other relatively plain pipe tobacco. To me, I guess it would be like saying I never enjoyed Molto Dolce because I never ate one of the diabetes-inducing monstrosities at IHOP. It just doesn't come together in my mind, I suppose you could say. Anyway, that is just an off-the-track observation that popped into my head.

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
I'm generally not a fruity smoker either, Cosmic. Though on the Solani side of things, their plum (I forget the exact name) is pretty tasty. I also enjoy Modern Virginia.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Scotties Pancake, Candy cane Cocoa, Frosty mint, C&D Black and gold Maple, G&H Ennerdale...

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
ahh, tis a intresting subject my fellow pipe smokers, I have been afraid to buy the wrong areos, your input is most welcome, I have once tried hearth and home, berry nice, it was awsome when i first lit it, but then at the half of the bowl it tasted like soap, I would just empty my pipe when i was near the half.

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
PS-totally should be "aero", not "aro". Oh well. Y'all knew what I meant.
PPS-carver, is that like "Cherry Bomb"? Man. Smells AND tastes like a cherry cough drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.