PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hallucination or observation? It seems to me that aromatics seem to delivery better flavor and better balance between the base tobacco and the flavor in glossy finish pipes. This is a somewhat illusory claim. I haven't run comparative test on it. But I have noticed that when I happen to choose a glossy finish pipe for an aromatic, the flavor comes up better and more tobacco forward than with most other pipes. Truth or fantasy? Does anyone else experience this?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
White chocolate aros: Meerschaum....
But the physics of a pipe's finish seems to matter not a whit -unless it's a perception things.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I've always felt that really glossy pipes don't breath well and incubate the heat more. I've even sanded some down for that reason be it illusion or not. So now I ha e a great smoker that looks like hell. If it's true maybe the flavor is delivered more to the smoker and less into the briar? That's a great bs theory to support your illusion. Then again mb u just like pretty shiny things with your fruity and spicy things..

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
I tend to smoke Aros in a glossy pipe. So there is a +1 for glossy Aros

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke a lot more non-aromatics than aros, and I prefer blast, rusticated, originally unfinished pipes, and smooth pipes with pleasing grain but not a glossy finish per se. Here again, my impression is that the non-glossy pipes breathe better, seem to shed heat better, and deliver more complex blends more completely. But all of this may be visual stimulation lending to these experiences. I first noticed the perceived enhancement of aromatics with a little Jobey pipe (straight billiard) with a high gloss finish, but have since had the same sense with other high gloss pipes. None of them burn hot to the touch. They all do a decent job with non-aromatics. But I do notice glossy pipes bring along aromatics best. Okay, I'll assume it's psychology and not sensory, most likely. But let's not close the file. Maybe others agree with the original premise.

I really enjoy aromatics in a handful of black sandblasted pipes. I do have a couple of smooth bulldogs that I use for aromatics, but they definitely aren’t my favorites. Frankly, I’m not sold on the finish of a pipe affecting the flavors at all.

But, I totally believe that you enjoy aromatics more in smooth glossy pipes. No doubt in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.