PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Does anyone else have this issue? I am a 20 year cigarette smoker, still trying to complete the conversion. I have noticed that smoking aromatic tobaccos seems to leave me short of breath. I am a clencher, and I tend to inhale small amounts of smoke unintentionally. I recently started trying other types of blends, and noticed that it does not happen with Nightcap at all, or ODF. So Im thinking it has to do with one of two things;

A. Moisture content in the aros

B. Something used in the flavoring/curing process
Any ideas gentlemen? Thanks!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
That's rather strange. I've smoked cigarettes for 50 years and I've never experienced that. I also clench at times and inhale a small amount occasionally. Sometimes unintentionally, and yes... sometimes on purpose.

You may have an allergy to something in the aromatics. I don't think moisture would do it, alone.
It may just be time to branch out and try some different genres of blends. I never took well to latakia, but if you like the Nightcap and the strength of ODF, you might just want to step out into the world of English blends or VaBurs.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Probably all the chemicals they add, I just can't smoke aro's, I find there's something about them that burn my mouth and result in an unpleasant smoke.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I know what you are doing. You're exhaling and then sniffing to get the scent of the aromatic through the front of your nostrils - I've done it sometimes when I dont get much taste or retrohaling doesn't do the trick, I french inhale - and when I'm doing it I'm somewhat sniffing and it can lead you to having a shortness of breath sorta....

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
When I smoke a couple of full flavored aromatic in a row I feel shortness of breath sometime.

I guess it's cause something in flavor.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Never thought about the chance of french inhaling and getting a shortness of breath. Then again, if that is the cause it would seem to have the same effect no matter what tobacco you smoke aside from the stronger nicotine content of some blends. The first time I tried and found out about the 'french inhale' was about 40 or so years ago with cigarettes and it did indeed make me dizzy, but not short of breath. I never do it while smoking a cigarette, but I do it occasionally with a pipe. Then again, after 50 years of cigarette smoking I could probably french inhale those small Parodi cigar turds and not get short of breath, and or dizzy. Something I'm certainly not proud of, but there it is. Well... one positive note is that I'm smoking less of the cigarettes since taking up the pipe again. ;)

Jan 8, 2013
Phil, Im smoking alot less cigarettes too, and happy about it. I dont really get it either, I can flat out inhale Nightcap intentionally, french inhale it all I want, and not have a problem. Perhaps I do have a flavor allergy.

monsterbear

Lurker
Mar 4, 2014
Its happened to me when I smoke a straight virginia. I think it has a lot to do with exhaling and then trying to smell it afterwards. I got dizzy once when I got off the couch and thought Id pass out. I was super relaxed though.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
I've noted this smoking Brigham's Maple Vanilla, and to a lesser extent Blatter Executive, not so with other tobaccos.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I've noticed it with blends with a lot of burley in them. 1Q I can smoke all day inhaling a little of it but the Sutliff D-40 vanilla I feel like I just smoked half a pack of cigarettes after a bowl if I'm not careful with my inhaling.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I had / have that problem. In figuring it out I noticed that since I exhale out of my nose a lot that smoke was still in my mouth and I was breathing that it. I found that if I include an exhale out of my mouth after the nose it got better.
If that was already added sorry. Didn't read through all the replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Maybe it's down to unnatural artificial additives? I hyperventilate and have breath-holding attacks just THINKING about aromatics! In fact I'll have to lie down now, in a darkened room!! LOL

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Any chance you have GERD, acid reflux, etc.?
A few years ago I almost gave up our beloved pipe. I felt like I was having a full on asthma attack almost daily and I noticed that smoking a pipe made it worse. Doctor told me to stop the pipe, gave me an inhaler and said good luck. Doctors are pill dispensers but that's another story.
Anyway, after a few months I was still having problems but not nearly as bad so I did my own research on the web. Found out that GERD can cause some of these shortness of breath things and it somehow ties in with asthma. I have always had reflux problems off and on so I thought I would try the 14 day otc thing. I felt amazing after about 4 days and was back to the pipe after 2 weeks. I have had a few flare ups but the 14day trick always rights the ship. For me its Burley and certain Aros that trigger it. I switched to mostly VA's and can enjoy the hobby again.
When I told my doctor the next time I saw her she said something like, " yes, GERD can cause asthma type symptoms and sometimes gets mistakenly diagnosed as asthma". I found a new doctor, lol.

Jan 8, 2013
Seems the problem may have just been method all along, now that I am letting the tobacco dry out, and smoking it very slowly, I don't seem to have as much of an issue. Guess it was just ignorance all along,

Status
Not open for further replies.