PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This is an extraordinarily naive question, so please don't throw things at me; I'm still a newbie, despite being called "member." Quite simply, how do the non-aromatics differ from the aromatics, besides being minus the tongue-biting sweeteners? And of the non-aromatics, which would you recommend for coolness and ease of puffing as well as flavor? I've tried Carter Hall, which turned out to be a pleasant enough smoke, but based on what I hear on the forum there are dozens more. Currently I have shipping, on recommendation, Sutliff's Black Swan, Navigator, and Maple Street (the latter which I tried before and smoked without devastating consequences to my taste buds; it was a nice smoke). But what are generally judged the best? Also, if I might ask, limit your choices to a couple, difficult as I know it is, but I can only try a limited number at a time. Thanks!

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
If you're getting constant tongue bite it may be your technic more than the tobacco, non-aros generally seem to be a harsher smoke to me and I prefer a cool mellow smoke unlike cigarettes and cigars.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I would most definitely suggest trying "Frog Morton Cellar" which is a fine "crossover" tobacco, also for a good aro with some flavor and no bite "Butternut Burley"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find Lane's Q-1 and LL-7 quite well behaved in the bite department, though they are aromatics. I like Dunhill 965 as a

full flavored but not harsh English non-aro blend (along with some others, but I'm trying to simplify this). Some aromatics

that are nippy will calm down if you dry them out a little, like overnight or for a day or two. I just put them in a pottery bowl,

a few pipe bowl fulls at a time. I've not tried it, but for an economical English blend someone on Forums recently recommended

Altadis Fox and Hound. Two other Altadis blends, but in the aromatic category, are "Queen Anne's Revenge" and "Dark

Obsession," a Cavendish, that are aromatics that will go easy on your tongue. The Lanes and the Altadis are both sold in

bulk, which is a savings, and sometimes the Dunhill 965 as well, from smokingpipes.com and others. I haven't opened my

tin yet, but Forums members swear by Frog Morton Original, but it is not inexpensive.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
As a past sufferer, I feel for you on the tongue bite. I am still genuinely searching for that perfect aromatic and have not found it yet. I ordered some Solani X Sweet Mystery and some Hearth and Home Landmark Manor Heights (Roth's suggestion) for a change-of-pace from the other tobaccos I love. I also ordered two lbs of McClelland #5100 Red Cake, a sample of P.S. Luxury Twist Flake and a tin of McClelland Blending Perique to cover some bases.

My advice is to keep sampling and to continue to work on your technique. There is a lot of good advice on this forum.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'd agree with roth's recommendation of Dunhill Flake, if you care to go into flakes. Private Blend from Iwan Ries has a nice tobacco taste, no bite, and is relatively inexpensive - $6 for 1.5 oz, but only $18.35 for 7. It is only available from them, AFAIK.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Lane 1Q is very popular

I buy aros by the 1-2 oz bulk to make my own "samplers". Lots of hits and misses, but not a lot of money invested.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
CAO Moontrance is a great fruity, no bite aromatic, you can puff on it as hard as you want and it is certainly full flavored :) As for an English try Frog Morton Regular or Cellar, they both are winners in the no bite English category.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
As always, thank you gentlemen. I have heard of most of these brands many times before, but it's nice to have them laid out as the tobaccos to try; I have written them all on a list for my next order. Expanding my horizons, as Roth puts it, is exactly what I'm attempting to do here, as a start. There are far too many excellent tobaccos to let go by, aromatic or not, without trying them. Else, what's the use of an excellent pipe? If I may add one (Jud can give you more authoritative info about it), a little shop called Hill and Hill sells an excellent bulk tobacco I believe was called "Haymaker." It went down smooth and cool and puffed nicely (that seems a problem with me with the heavy aromantics, of which Molto Dolce is my favorite--the aroma is intoxicating). In my last order, I ordered some McClellan Christmas Cheer, which I will try not to open before the holidays. By the way, any thoughts on Navigator, Black Swan, and Maple Street? Are they aro's? Maple Street, despite being flavored with maple and rum, didn't strike me as a heavy aromatic. I ordered these last time; I expect them tomorrow; just looking for informed opinions.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The Sutliff blends you have coming are all considered to be aromatics, I have never tried them so I cannot comment, hopefully you will enjoy them.
I would recommend Dunhill Flake and Astleys 109 for something that is nice and sweet and no bite. You will have to read up on how to prepare and smoke flakes, but the time and effort should be well worth it. I enjoy a variety of great tasting flakes that do not bite.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thank you for that tip. I've often wondered about tobacco flakes. Before long, I'm sure I will give it a whirl. (Nice family!)

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I'll bring up something to try I found very cool smoke right out of the tin - Tinderbox Reserve 1928

http://www.instituteofman.com/2011/03/02/review-1928-reserve-from-tinderbox-com/

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tinderbox-reserve-1928-review

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Some aromatics that are nippy will calm down if you dry them out a little, like overnight or for a day or two."
A LITTLE?!

Status
Not open for further replies.