PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
McClelland products like Deep Hollow or Frog Morton's Cellar seem to be borderline aromatics that claim to have no topping but maybe do. Do they? My real question is do these need to be kept away from pipes which are dedicated to english only or Virginia only? Will they leave their mark in any pipe which has been used by them?

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
The ones that I'd be worried about are the ones that are really heavily cased like C&D Autumn Evening or some of the Hearth and Home ones. I don't smoke aromatics so I can't really give any imperial knowledge to it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If you're only an occasional aro smoker I wouldn't worry about it too much but like freakie says I'd avoid the full aromatics especially anything with deer tongue in it like C&D's Crooner and Gentleman caller. those 2 ned their own pipe.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Can't speak to Deep Hollow, but the Frog Morton blends that I've smoked so far are not what I would call aromatics. I use my Latakia pipes for them with no compunctions whatsoever. The description of Deep Hollow doesn't sound like a typical aromatic, either.
Honestly, the only time I've ever noticed ghosting in a pipe so far was the first time I tried a new aromatic in a pipe that I'd broken in using Prince Albert - my first bowl had me thinking "Gee, this stuff tastes a lot like PA!". Then I tried the same blend in a fresh cob for comparison and realized what was going on... :D

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I would keep Lat blends ,aros separate from everything else. They have ghosted my pipes relatively easily especially nasty cherry cased blends!

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I wouldn't call the FM series an aromatic it is in the great because of the liquor but to me an aromatic

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I wouldn't worry about the blends you mentioned above ghosting your pipe. There are a couple blends that tend to stay with a pipe for a while. I VERY rarely smoke aromatics but I do have pipes that I have smoked every single type of tobacco in. These pipes still smoke just as great and have no other flavors from the past tobaccos. So, you should have no issues smoking different blends out of one single pipe. I do dedicate certain pipes for certain tobaccos just because I have too many pipes I suppose, so I have the resources to dedicate pipes to tobacco blends.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My personal definition of an aromatic is a blend that is some combination of Virginia, Burley, and or Cavendish (sometimes just straight Black Cavendish) with a heavy flavor casing. Usually it's a cherry, chocolate, vanilla, or some kind of fruit flavoring.
Those are the ones you should worry about ghosting a pipe.
English/Aromatics like Frog Morton's Cellar I wouldn't worry about. They're usually just cased with a spirit of some sorts, usually rum, which doesn't do much in the way of ghosting a pipe.
Deep Hollow however I would worry about ghosting, because it's just a few different types of Virginias with an apple and vanilla flavoring. Sounds like this one will be more heavily cased and will probably end up ghosting a bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.