PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I'm pretty new back into pipe smoking. I have two tobacconists near me each about 45 minutes away. One has a better selection but not as knowledgable; the other tobacconist I think may be a wizard. He's warm and friendly and knows everything there seems to know. However, one thing I've noticed about both is that they seem to poo-poo aromatics. The wizard guy not so much, but the other tobacconist looks down his nose every time I come in and ask for a new blend that isn't English. Why do people look down their noses at aromatics? I love them! It's half the reason I smoke a pipe!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I've smoked aromatics, english, and virginia tobacco for the last 3 years, I can honestly say that I have never been disrespected for it by anyone including store owners, staff, and other pipe smokers for asking for them, although the ones at ever store that are not in a tin seem to be God aweful (no taste, all smell). The two brands of aromatics I stand by today (that have full flavor) are Boswells (have to order by phone) and CAO (Moontrance and Cherry Bomb).

abram35

Lurker
Mar 16, 2012
The guy who taught me about tobacco once said, "I don't think that those who like aromatics really like tobacco." For me, aromatics is an artificial sweetener in your coffee. Virginias accomplish the same thing, only naturally.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I love them all, however Virginia tobacco is my favorite too (straight VA mostly) with my current being Full Virginia Flake. I am a big fan of variety, aromatics are great when I am in the mood, but mostly are for smoking around people, especially when I go to a friend's place. I have been allowed to smoke in rooms where the cigarette people were told to smoke outside! That was very cool.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Of the guys at a pipe show, very few smoke automatics. They're not looked down upon, but are considered to be for beginners.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Comes down to taste, in my book. After smoking menthol nails for twenty years, non-aros are dull and tasteless to me. I've tried plenty - EMP, Fusilier's, various Frogs, VAs, VaPers - they all taste the same. I ain't knocking them, it's just that my palate isn't sophisticated enough. (Or has been destroyed completely!)
Funny enough, I really like codger burleys. Maybe there's hope for me.
Anyway, smoke what you like. If my wit and charm isn't enough to impress new friends, they'll still take my money when I ask for Molto Dolce or Captain Cool.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah the CAO blends aren't bad. I've been working my way through Peterson Blends at the moment and find them enjoyable. I've also found a fondness for Presbyterian Mix. I picked up the pipe to get off cigarettes and I guess I've been enjoying smoking something completely different which is why I'm enjoying aromatics so far. I haven't bought too many bulks because of what others have said before about the the bulk aromatics being so bad and some burn so hot. I would love more suggestions for great blends of any kind!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Why do people look down their noses at aromatics? I love them! It's half the reason I smoke a pipe!
As a new pipe smoker, I know this to be true but it's actually silly. That's like looking down on someone because they like blue and everyone knows red is better. Or like saying AC/DC is a great band but Prince sucks. Everyone has different tastes and even reasons for such things. To the haters I say... :nana: I like what I like and couldn't care less if you like what I like. Carry on....

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I would tell you absolutely to try Dan's Blue Note as well as Villiger's Mid-Day. Both are fantastic aro's. I would also recommend 1-Q and RLP from Lane Limited.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
Appreciation for aromatics in my case is acquired through slow practice and discrimination. I am a confirmed latakia lover. I have learned that not all aromatics are created equally and it is necessary to search for a mellow high quality blend that you like. I like Caramel Rush and Raspberry Cream. They should be smoked only in small bowls and perhaps only half full to get the best flavour. It is better to refill after 5 or 10 minutes than to smoke an aromatic after the bottom half has been baked. I don't smoke aromatics regularly but I do enjoy my favourites occasionally.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
"They're not looked down upon, but are considered to be for beginners."
I was told this when I started out 20 years ago. So even though I enjoyed areo's I spent a long time smoking tobacco that I didn't like because " areo's are for beginners". After several years I said to heck with what the "pipe people" think and I went back to my beloved black cavendish and have been happy and content. So if you like Areo's then smoke them and enjoy it, everyone's taste is different and Areo's are not just for beginners, I have been at this 20+ years

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I once had something similar happen at a pipe store. A bunch of guys were sitting around and smokeing english blends..When I started talking to them about tobacco, they were like ahhh! A newbie! Hey I love most tobacco, there have only been a few blends, or blenders that I will turn away from. But i do think aromatics do get treated like the evil step child..Which is okay by me! just means I have more to choose from!

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Lots of good sharing of opinions here. I think this is all about your personal taste "range" as well as preference. In my own case, I smoke exclusively the three blends that I created with Craig Tarler of C&D. But, that was after smoking just about everything (well, a great many blends) for over 45 years! Also, I made a study of what I smoked and learned all I could about tobacco and blending, because that was where my interest was. In the end, I have three blends that suit me perfectly and cover the "broad" range of my "personal" taste from Light English Aromatic to Virginia non-aro to Burley based light (modern-style) aro. But, that is me! Experience and preference will shape your tobacco profile. I dedicate several pipes to each my three specific blends. That works for me. And, I smoke all three blends every day. Thus, I do not tire my taste buds. I recommend smoking more than one blend and I recommend smoking numerous pipes and dedicating them to a specific blend while allowing drying time to those pipes in rest mode for a day or two.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
I think two of the reasons aros aren't overly popular are, like mikephillips said, they do tend to smoke wet or 'goopy' and, as much as some people say nicotine has nothing to do with pipe smoking, aros tend to be minimal in the vitamin N department. I think if aros had more N in them, more people would seek them seek them out. Some people that might tend to enjoy them maybe seek out that natural tobacco flavour due to getting more kick out of those blends being former cig smokers etc. no one reviews a blend and says they've had that magical moment with a blend totally lacking N. I for one used to smoke and still dip and prefer a stronger N fix otherwise would be more willing to smoke aros and indeed would bulk up on captain black but sadly it doesn't meet the nic requirement. There's a reason tobaccos are scored for strength and aros are nearly always mild. For this reason I myself tend not to smoke aros and seek out more natural tobaccos without the added flavours. That being said I enjoy some Lat as much as the next guy.

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
Aros are (due to their inherent mildness) like a .5 beer. They might taste good but most people don't find them conducive to relaxing after work or kicking back on the patio. Flavour-wise they might be compared to a cider or cooler vs a more 'adult' flavour like a beer or whiskey. That being said I enjoy a cider in the summer but they are 5% so I'm not substituting taste for a good time.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Today there is definitely a stigma on aros, but I don't let the opinions of others control my behavior. My grandfather smoked aros his entire life (born in Ireland in the 1880s) and lived to a ripe old age of 92.
To me, the joys of pipe smoking is to relax. I don't mind an English blend or a nice ol nic kick now and then, but a quality aro sometimes is very enjoyable.
They're not looked down upon, but are considered to be for beginners.
I am of the opinion that this is a new mindset. From what I can tell, many pipe smokers from an earlier era smoked aros just as much as non-aros. How many people (myself included) will tell you they can remember the pleasant aroma from their grandfather's pipe? So many seem to share this memory, that I am thinking aros were just as common as non-aros back in the day.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I think two of the reasons aros aren't overly popular are, like mikephillips said, they do tend to smoke wet or 'goopy' and, as much as some people say nicotine has nothing to do with pipe smoking, aros tend to be minimal in the vitamin N department. I think if aros had more N in them, more people would seek them seek them out. Some people that might tend to enjoy them maybe seek out that natural tobacco flavour due to getting more kick out of those blends being former cig smokers etc. no one reviews a blend and says they've had that magical moment with a blend totally lacking N. I for one used to smoke and still dip and prefer a stronger N fix otherwise would be more willing to smoke aros and indeed would bulk up on captain black but sadly it doesn't meet the nic requirement. There's a reason tobaccos are scored for strength and aros are nearly always mild. For this reason I myself tend not to smoke aros and seek out more natural tobaccos without the added flavours. That being said I enjoy some Lat as much as the next guy.
+1
Good points all around.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Do you guys have any recommendations for Virginia/Burleys? And can you give me an example of some of the natural aromatics that you were mentioning?

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I usually stick to English/Balkan blends, but to please my wife in the winter (windows closed) I began exploring aromatics. I highly recommend the blends from Pipeworks and Wilke, and there are SO many others that are high quality - like Hearth and Home, Peretti's, Uhle's, Steve Books' House of Calabash ... I'm finding the aromatic experience a very enjoyable change of pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.