Tags:   

Aromatic Vs. Non-Aromatic Tobacco

(58 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by fuel52
  • Latest reply from deathmetal
  1. fuel52

fuel52

Login to Send PM

My intention is not to start a war. I simply would like some insight on this subject. I'm only 2 months into the pipe smoking hobby. Like most beginners, I smoke aromatics. I'm enjoying myself smoking aromatics and I believe eventually I'll get to non-aromatic blends. Now to my question...

If the tobacco market is comprised of 95% aromatics, why does it seem like the vast majority of tobacco reviews, commentary, opinions, videos, podcasts, etc all focus (as it seems to me) on non-aromatic tobacco? Are pipe smokers ashamed of discussing/reviewing aromatics? Is it not "cool" to smoke aromatics? Personally, I could care less what other smokers think of me being an aromatic smoker, I just find it strange that all anybody seems to talk about are non-aromatic tobaccos. Maybe non-aromatic tobacco is just that good. It's possible it's just my perception and there's plenty of discussion on both sides.

Just an observation after lurking around the hobby.

Anybody else notice this or am I off base?

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And here we go ..... this will probably not end well

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

murica

Login to Send PM

People do love aromatics. And I believe that when the percentages are thrown around, they are indicating that most tobacco has casing and or topping applied. Rather, very few tobaccos are untouched.

I smoke a few aros. But I smoke a lot of Virginia's and burley too. For every one of us on a forum, there's probably 10 or so guys out there smoking carter hall or captain black in a plain ol pipe they've had for decades. Think of this as a niche, premium tobacco.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am newly returned to pipes and smoking what I like. It happens that I Prefer Virginia's, perique as condiment at times, flakes, and a mix of different types Of Virginia's. That said, I do enjoy some aromatics and the crossover blends that have a light condiment level of Latakia. But too much Latakia kills my taste buds for anything else for the day.

Oh, And War Horse Bar is an animal of a different color. Forward flavor with a good bit of nicotine.

Smoke what you like.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, and if you think there are not enough reviews of aromatics, hop to it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...because, what the heck is there to talk about when it comes to aromatics? No one can taste them. Practically anybody can smoke them. And, search the forums, there's just nothing to talk about when it comes to aromatics, unless we start talking about the tobacco that makes them up, and then that will start a fight, absolutely every time.

Nope, it is merely because there is nothing worthy of discussion, even among passionate aro-smokers. Don't blame us. You guys may talk all you want, but you don't so there.

Non-aromatics though, are actually good. And, mysterious. And, generates discussion.

Then there is the thought that aro-smokers do not really exists. The tobacco industry uses aromatic tobaccos as the introductory tobaccos. Giving out candy to kids to get them into the hobby. I watch The Briary sell the first pipe and a bag of aromatics to guys all day long. The B&M makes a bit of money, and a guy goes home and tries to smoke that crap, doesn't taste anything, scorches his mouth trying, and throws the pipe in a drawer where it stays for a decade or more. End of story for about 95% of all first pipes sold. The rest of us just toughed it out, found the forums, and started smoking real tobaccos and hung in there. Therefore sure, more aromatics tobacco is sold, but only a fraction of first-time smokers stuck with it because they find non-aromatics.
    Just a theory, but makes sense to me.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. ltstone

ltstone

Login to Send PM

Its probably just because the people more likely to review or discuss tobaccos have delved more deeply into the more complex tobacco. The casual aro smoker just doesn't see the need to say that Vanilla black cavendish has a great natural vanilla flavor on top of a neutral tasting leaf. BTW I love most tobaccos and have a time and place for all of them.

an ego without the power to notice itself
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It doesn't matter. I'm sure many are already offended beyond repair and are sulking in a corner.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aromatic reviews
    Name Brand Apple Pie - Taste like candle wax, wife says smells good.
    Name Brand Caramel Sunday - Tastes like candle wax, wife says smells good.
    Name Brand Tootie Fruity - Tastes like candle wax, wife says smells good.

By the way, I do smoke the occasional aromatics. I don't dislike them at all. In fact, there are many that I really like. There's just nothing to talk about at all with them. That's all I'm saying.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. stickframer

stickframer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its probably just because the people more likely to review or discuss tobaccos have delved more deeply into the more complex tobacco.

+1

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. fuel52

fuel52

Login to Send PM

Then there is the thought that aro-smokers do not really exists. The tobacco industry uses aromatic tobaccos as the introductory tobaccos. Giving out candy to kids to get them into the hobby. I watch The Briary sell the first pipe and a bag of aromatics to guys all day long. The B&M makes a bit of money, and a guy goes home and tries to smoke that crap, doesn't taste anything, scorches his mouth trying, and throws the pipe in a drawer where it stays for a decade or more. End of story for about 95% of all first pipes sold. The rest of us just toughed it out, found the forums, and started smoking real tobaccos and hung in there. Therefore sure, more aromatics tobacco is sold, but only a fraction of first-time smokers stuck with it because they find non-aromatics.
    Just a theory, but makes sense to me.

If non-aromatics are truly a better smoke, why don't shops push them more to beginners instead of the stuff that's going to burn their tongues and taste like candlewax?

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That said, I did add some virginia to autumn evening and it became a smoke with much more substance. How much substance, I am not sure. My problem with most of the Aro samples I have is exactly what Cosmic has said, they do not taste like much of anything and if smoked at much above a snails ass pace, they bite. I have some Planta California Dream which I can taste orangey citrus and it shocked me. I really did not expect to taste it in the smoke. Only expected to smell it. But Old Gowrie, it just tastes good. I cannot imagine what a well aged Virginia tastes like but from what everyone says, it is good stuff far beyond fresh non-aromatic tobaccos and anything aromatic. Therein lies the difference...smoke for the smell (Aromatics, with some exceptions apparently) or for the taste (non-Aromatics)...IMHO.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fuel52, maybe for the same reason that the cigars you purchase at grocery stores and minute markets are flavored...people like the smell. Or in the case of swisher sweets, they like the flavoring you can taste on your lips.

I would say, for you, grab a tin of a recommended non-aromatic (ask here or go to Tobacco reviews) and do nothing but smoke that for a week. Give it some time and contemplation. Then smoke your old Aromatic that you like. See how they compare.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. fuel52

fuel52

Login to Send PM

smoke for the smell (Aromatics, with some exceptions apparently) or for the taste (non-Aromatics)

This is interesting...too bad they haven't found a way to do both in the same blend. or have they?

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. fuel52

fuel52

Login to Send PM

I would say, for you, grab a tin of a recommended non-aromatic (ask here or go to Tobacco reviews) and do nothing but smoke that for a week. Give it some time and contemplation. Then smoke your old Aromatic that you like. See how they compare.

Good advice, I will do...

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If non-aromatics are truly a better smoke, why don't shops push them more to beginners instead of the stuff that's going to burn their tongues and taste like candlewax?

It's easier to sell what smells good.

Remember, this is just a theory. I do like aromatics. Especially the good ones. But, besides which ones are the "good ones" I am always at a loss for what to discuss. Even at pipe club, when we ask the aromatic guys to talk more about their favorite blends, they just don't have much to say. But, ask someone about their favorite latakia or perique blend, and you have to ask them to shut the F up, so that we can all get home before our wives kill us.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I could ruminate on this one for several pages, but won't. I too started with aromatic blends and enjoyed them for years. Then I explored non-aromatic and smoked those almost exclusively, for the purity of the experience with the actual tobacco itself. Now I've come back to include some tobacco-forward aromatics where the flavoring actually manages to emphasize the flavors of the constituent tobacco leaves. The aromatics serve as a nice counterpoint in the rotation, so when I smoke non-aros they come into full bloom. The rivalry between aro and non-aro smokers is sometimes good sport and fuel for jokes, but it also becomes tiresome. Aromatics support the industry, but non-aros are an experience not to be missed. So take it all under advisement.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fuel seriously do me a favor. Go pick up a tin of McClelland's Yenidje Highlander and smoke it. Then pick up a tin of H&H Blackhouse or Magnum Opus and smoke it.

Then come back and let us know if you think you have more to discuss about those two blends compared to discussing something like Lane 1Q aro.

I like almost all genre's of tobacco except that Lakeland crap. The non-aro's are just much more complex and of better quality tobacco(usually) which gives you more to talk about.

Now if you want a quality aro made with good virginia leaf try PS Luxury Twist Flake. Not everyone will say it's an aro but it does have a topping that smells and tastes to me like vanilla and coconut.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Because new pipe smokers associate pipes with aro's. That's what they think it's all about. Are they going to pick a bulk VA or a bulk aro? They are going with the bulk aro because that's what they think pipe tobacco is supposed to smell like. A tobacconist near me tried to push me towards trying an english many years ago and I thought it was the most horrible smelling thing. Then one day I relented and found I loved it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

ttakata73

Login to Send PM

I noticed what the OP has since I am only a few months in too, and all the replies makes good sense. My first tobaccos were all aromatics (1-Q, Vanilla Custard, BCA) and ordered based on the load of positive reviews at Pipes&Cigars. I have a new palette and haven't perfected my methods, but I can already see; taste varies a lot. I find 1-Q worthless, Vanilla Custard is OK, and BCA is the best of the 3. I bought some Captain Black Gold to see what a cheap OTC is like and its better than 1-Q to me. Then I got the non-aro Frog Morton on the Town based on the tobaccoreviews numbers and don't really like it. I feel like I am smoking a campfire with that one. So far BCA is my favorite, but I have 8 different Dunhills in the mail now so look forward to finding a "real" baccy I like.

As many recommend; store what you don't like because a few months/years from now you might enjoy them since your technique has improved and tastes change. I tried Durian fruit 20+ years ago and it smelled/tasted like sewage on several occasions years apart. This past year I started to like the more expensive versions because they don't have that sewage odor or taste. I just never knew there were different species of the wacky fruit and quality levels within them.

I'm so glad this forum exists because I tried & abandoned pipes 20+ years ago. Since I didn't know anything then; my bad technique and OTC blend from Walgreens drugstore wasn't a good smoke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, store it. It may taste like a campfire today, but a few weeks from now it may smell like old books, Corinthian leather, and blood red wine.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smell:
    Aromatic - Does what it says on the tin.
    Non-aromatic - Nuances and things to talk about.
    Taste:
    Aromatic - Tastes strange.
    Non-aromatic - Tastes like tobacco. Everyone tastes something different. Something to talk about.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

People love aromatics. It is just that there are SO MANY of them, that you are a lot more likely to see a bad review of one because not all aro ideas were good ones. Also, an aro depends most often on the chemical flavoring that has been added and the tobacco just mainly holds that flavor. In fact, the less obtrusive character the tobacco has on its own, the better the chances usually that the intended flavoring will come through as desired.

Non-aro types depend wholly on the tobacco itself to produce its intended rich flavor, so you are much more dependent on the tobacco itself being of a higher developed quality. But you will never have as many options just from the tobaccos growing out there as you will from all the flavorings possible today.

When people start smoking pipes, the aro is usually the easy choice because you know "apple," you know "butterscotch," you know "mint," but these flavors are mainly 2-dimensional in character and do not change much from bowl to bowl, tin to tin.

Over time, a lot of people tire of that, they want more; their tastes develop more sensitivity and perceptivity, and non-aros offer greater character, complexity and depth because they are totally dependent on nature itself, and nature cannot be controlled. It is a huge variable, so you have both the depth of the individual leaves of each type which constantly vary in a random way along with the natural variation in blending, aging, and storing, so a non-aro always offers much more of a complexly changing smoke both between bowls, batches and tins.

That offers the long-term smoker a lot more palette to keep his interest piqued over time and in return, there is a lot more he can say about the non-aro than he can most aros. So despite being far-outnumbered in quantity by aros, by the time it reaches the social market level of write-ups and reviews, there is usually more interest in exploring the complexities of non-aros. Does that make sense?

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's how I see it. And I'm that guy that can enjoy a good balkan blend, and then enjoy a good aromatic back to back. I would say there are two (maybe three) types of aromatic (ok I'm going to say three... and a half). There are the kind that are a heavily cased goopy mess that normally erase all natural tobacco flavors attempting to make the blend taste and smell like chocolate cake. These usually smell like like Grandma is in the kitchen baking a chocolate cake but don't taste like anything but hot waxes and ash. Although some of these (hence three and a half) may indeed taste and smell like the aroma intended. Molto Dulce, for example you could probably eat with a fork. If smoked slowly, as you should all pipe tobacco, you can really detect the flavor. Then there are the blends that are a bit more in the middle, meaning an aromatic that you still get hints of the natural tobacco flavor mingling with hints of whatever aromatic properties the blend might have. And then there are the kind that are definitely more tobacco forward, and the aromatic properties are in the back ground where you might get a hint of Grandma's chocolate cake, or even a good sweet blast of flavor only to return to good natural tobacco flavors or even not taste the aromatic properties at all, although leaving a decent room note so Grandma isn't kicking you out of the kitchen.

That being said, you should smoke what you like, when you like, regardless of anyone else's opinion. If you smoke only non aromatics because someone else says it's all trash, you might be missing out on some good blends you might indeed enjoy. Read reviews here on aromatics or read the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com where it's easy to search by blend name or brand name, or blend type.

Most importantly, relax and enjoy yourself. That's what pipe smoking is all about anyway.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well said Anthony.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

Personally, I much prefer 'English' mixtures - as long as there are Orientals and Latakia, I am a happy camper!

But I don't think it is fair to tar aromatics down the backy pecking order just because it isn't to my particular taste. I was browsing the excellent Dan Pipe catalogue recently (they can't send to the UK sadly but that is another story) and probably 80-90% of the blends they sell are aromatic to one degree or another. Fact is that most continental Europeans seem to prefer aromatics, and some of them are very high class blends indeed. As Denmark, Germany, etc are still countries (among the few) with a pretty solid pipe smoking tradition, I don't think it is wise to disparage their evidently aromatic choices in tobacco.

... of course, they don't know yet about St Bruno

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fact is that most Europeans prefer aromatics, and some of them are very high class blends indeed.

I think that everyone in this thread accepts that world-wide, aromatics are more popular. The weird thing is that aromatics are hardly ever discussed. Aromatic reviews on here go pretty much un-commented on, and at pipe clubs, aro smokers never want to do reviews. So, on the forums and everywhere, it is non-aros that get discussed. And, we were offering reasons as to why.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But I don't think it is fair to tar aromatics down

If they can goop them up, I can tar them down.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Besides, no one in this thread has said anything derogatory about aromatics... you'll have to PM me for that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. fuel52

fuel52

Login to Send PM

I think that everyone in this thread accepts that world-wide, aromatics are more popular. The weird thing is that aromatics are hardly ever discussed. Aromatic reviews on here go pretty much un-commented on, and at pipe clubs, aro smokers never want to do reviews. So, on the forums and everywhere, it is non-aros that get discussed. And, we were offering reasons as to why.

The question may be...of all pipe smokers past the beginner stage (6 months to a year?) what is the ratio/percentage of Aros to Non-Aeros?

Is it more like 60/40 non-aeros after that beginner stage? I think this would speak more to why people don't discuss the aeros because non-beginners are more likely to post on this site and the more you get past the beginning phase of pipe smoking, the more they tend to favor non-aros. Just a thought.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like, you could go to the aromatic reviews that have had very little responses, and say all that you want. The bigger question is what would you say? Whereas a latakia review can cause guys to dispute, argue, or make further suggestions. They generate more talk.

I do know that despite what guys will say, the biggest reason anyone would come here is to learn, whether they are just starting or whether they've piddled for years and want to take it up a level. Very few guys come here strictly to teach. That's almost funny to think of. We are all here to learn more, and it's almost creepy why someone wouldn't be here to learn.

But, I cannot say what the ratio is of aro to non-aro smokers, but I don't think you'll ever get a clear division anyway. It's not one-way or the other. We all tend to switch around what we smoke for variety, always in flux, except for a few old codgers who only smoke Prince Albert 100% of the time.
    So, it's almost funny to think of us as divided into aro and non-aro camps.
    Even the most anti-aro grumbling old man at our pipe club, spouting off anti-aro rants... check his pipe bag, and I'll bet good money you will find a bag of peach or vanilla tobacco somewhere in there. Closet aro smokers. Aro curious?

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Often there's an inverse relationship between how good the pouch aroma and the smoke smells to a third party and how the tobacco tastes to the smoker.

All this talk makes me want to try a good aro now!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  33. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's true, non-aromatics seem to get more attention, but there is plenty in Forums about aromatics, long threads on Mixture 79 with licorice, a considerable discussion of Capt. Blacks grape blend, much made of Black Frigate with rum, a review and other discussion of Iwan Ries classic aro Three Star Blue, and so on. So to say Forums is mute on aromatics ... uh, I don't think so. I've plowed out quite a bit of copy on aromatics myself in posts.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. fuel52

fuel52

Login to Send PM

Very interesting, thanks gentlemen.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Non aros get more discussion because there is much more differences of perception, nuance and POV. Cherry tastes like cherry and all you can really say about it is which kind of cherry and whether you like it or not.

But I don't think you can divide pipe smokers into categories too well. Most people smoke both kinds and even the hardcore English smokers usually admit to smoking a few aros and the hardcore aro smokers usually break down and eventually at least start liking some non-aromatic types.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MSO, I stand corrected. Some aros do get attention, EGR, Virginia Cream, Royal Yacht, etc... but, are usually not what we think of when this comes up. Typically, if someone posts a review of Peach or Apple, we tend not to get any discussion. Even my reviews of blackberry blends or Autumn Evening really only got responses to my tongue-n-cheekiness, rather than some of the heated debates we get over flavor as in Virginia #1. This is where I think Toob is correct. What do we discuss concerning most of the goopy goopies?

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. jndyer

jndyer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I will throw my hat into the ring. Like a lot of our brotherhood, I started by smoking aromatic pipe tobacco because it just seemed like it was what pipe tobacco smelled like (as has been stated above). I continued to smoke aromatic tobacco because it is what I knew, and for eight or nine years I enjoyed it tremendously.

However, mid 2016 I decided to try something outside of the box for me and ordered some PSLBF, PSLNV, and some Escudo. It did not take me long to realize that I was smoking my beloved RLP-6 less often, and that I was looking forward to each bowl of these new blends more than the tried and true aromatics because I kept discovering something new and different about the way they tasted, smoked, that they could be prepped in different ways, etc. Here it is some eight months later and I am still discovering new things about each of these blends. I also have not taken any time off from pipe smoking.

Nothing wrong with aromatics, I enjoy them from time to time; however, at least for me, non-aromatics just seem to excite my pipe passion more.

I will add in closing, my wife liked it better when I smoked mostly RLP-6 and 1-Q because for those first eight or nine years because I was only spending about $100 on pipe tobacco a year, now I spend that in less than eight weeks, and I had a great six or so pipe rotation which now has grown to a bit larger thirty pipe rotation. Sorry honey.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The thing about most aromatics, is that for the new smoker, they come at you head on and yell: CHERRY! or MAPLE! You usually know right away what you are smoking, they have the attraction of rich food--- mixed berry pie! Chocolate fudge vanilla creme cake! but just as a good cook's tastes become more sensitive and discriminating over time, I think most smoker's palettes get a fatigue eventually from such things.

Oddly enough, I really like the room note of many non-aros or "low-aros!" Sometimes it seems better to me than the rich high-aros that are supposed to rule in this area.

The nice thing about non-aros is that they "back-off" and let you come to them like a blind man feeling a face. They offer the opportunity to explore--- They draw you in. Challenge you.

With few exceptions, I find most high-aros are better added to non- or low-aro blends simply as an adjunct to their complexity. I will add some aro to a blend sometimes to give it hints of a "cherryness" here and there or something for a little change of pace and added depth. Likewise, I might take a non-aro that did not go over with me and add some of it to some aro I have to tone it down a bit. Both ways, I end up with a more flavorful, complex blend.

That's why I don't rush out to buy every obscure blend. A lot of these exotic, hard to find blends I would bet don't end up too far from some of the things you find just experimenting on your own.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. monty55

monty55

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the answer to the OP has been answered by several on here. There's just a lot more to talk about when it comes to non-aromatics.

But, I wouldn't assume people are one or the other.

I started in aros but quickly moved on for the most part.

But after several years I have now found myself enjoying them in the summer time heat, and in public settings around others all year. Enjoying Latakia heavy blends during the cold winter months. Medium to light English blends during spring and fall, and Va/Per all year long.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And sometimes you just have to turn down the lights, put on some Barry White, and fire up some Molto Dolce. Bow chicka wow wow.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What do we discuss concerning most of the goopy goopies?
    The goopiness of them, duh! Like. Captain Black has a medium level of goopiness. Pinching it between your fingers and dropping it, it tends to hold it's pinched shape quite well, but you get little or no residue on your fingers from the goopiness. However, with Molto Dulce, you can roll it into a ball and play tennis with it, and packing a bowl leaves quite a bit of goopiness on your fingers, comparable to the goopiness left on your fingers when eating a bag of Cheetos.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

From mso489

much made of Black Frigate with rum

Black Frigate's not an aromatic.

Anyway, I have found that after a few decades of smoking and refining technique, I can taste nearly every aromatic I smoke. All has to do with smoking them cool. Too much heat will destroy the flavor of an aromatic.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  43. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black Frigate's not an aromatic
    Black Frigate should be in a class all it's own. I shall call it Awesomesauce. So there you have it... Aromatics, Non-Aromatics, and Awesomesauce.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the subject of aromatics versus non aromatics I often wonder if an inferior leaf is used in making aromatics.

Why would a manufacturer use top quality leaf only to then drench it in a strawberry/cherry/egg custard/banana flavoured sauce?

T'would be rather like being served lobster and then pouring tomato ketchup all over it

Just my tuppence worth.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  45. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would also like to add to the above, a skilled tobacco blender working with a wide range of differing leaves can really work some magic in the flavour department by using tobacco and nothing else.

So many flavours can be brought to the fore in the right hands without having to resort to the chemical cabinet full of synthetic flavourings.

For goodness sake, we ingest enough chemicals as it is so why add to that?

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would also like to add to the above, a skilled tobacco blender working with a wide range of differing leaves can really work some magic in the flavour department by using tobacco and nothing else.
    And the same skilled tobacco blender can work some magic in the flavor department by adding flavors to the same tobacco.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've noticed the type "English aromatic" is this an attempt at middle ground between the two? Haven't tried one yet,

-
    "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth."
    C.S Lewis
    Posted 2 years ago #
  48. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not all aromatic additives are synthetic or strange chemicals.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are shit tons of pipe tobacco styles. Do yourself a favor and try a couple of blends from each type. if you like a particular type, then you can dive in to experiment with those types of blends. You might also find that you don't like a particular type after trying a few, then you can save time and money by avoiding that type.

If you find something you really like, then I recommend you don't spend an iota of time questioning your choice if someone else posts a contrary opinion. Smoke What You Like

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I'm going to have to give Black Frigate a try

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Just don't go into it expecting an aromatic. Definitely English.

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is the rum present

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

In the background, but adds an overall sweetness to the blend. Much the same as a Navy Flake with rum.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think that,in response to the OP, a lot of folks who smoke Aros don't post on forums, or write reviews. They smoke a pipe, but aren't hobbyists. Nothing wrong with that. mind you - just a different way to go about it.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 years ago #
  55. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't do it Lad! Heed the warning! It is the Devil's weed itself! If you start smoking it, soon you'll be wearing a patch over your eye, talking funny sailing lingo like "walk the plank" and will soon have this irresistible urge to start posting pictures of old sail ships!

As to aros, I just really got into them about a year ago. I can leave most of them I've tried behind but the ones I really like are fine, just that I think they are best mixed with a little of something else to make the flavor and aroma more subtle. I suspect that the many aros people tout as aros for the "non-aro smoker" are sort of along the same idea.

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also, an aro depends most often on the chemical flavoring that has been added and the tobacco just mainly holds that flavor.

I was thinking about this in parallel to:

1. Soft drinks versus old style ginger beer (for example)
    2. Flavored coffee
    3. Barbecue-flavored mayonnaise and products of that ilk
    4. That fake butter stuff on popcorn
    5. The production of pop music

Our society is manic for authenticity, although perhaps not the real kind, because we sense that there is a disconnect between what we are told is the truth and what seems to be.

In particular, there is a lingering sense that the consensual hallucination in which we participate through socializing acts more to conceal than reveal.

That being said, I started with aromatics and can still see the appeal. My experiences with aromatics after that point however were not really inspiring, mainly Lane 1Q which seemed like the equivalent of diet orange-flavored caffeine free sugar free soda, to me. But, that was mostly because of how goopy it was. These soda pop aromatics are not the whole of the genre.

For example, there is that tasty looking orange stuff that ChasingEmbers keeps posting about. Technically, it is said that Royal Yacht is an aromatic, and it is the most supreme of tobaccos. Lakelands might be aromatics, and many of those are quite good, if one can avoid the worst of the soapiness. And of course, Prince Albert is lightly aromatic, with the chocolate/fruit/whisky/uranium flavor bringing out the underlying nuttiness in the the backyard Burley they make it with.

I suppose it is important to me to keep an open mind. The real difficulty there is that I like low-sugar tobaccos because they are less acidic and I get more flavor. Might be just how I'm wired.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  57. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Technically, it is said that Royal Yacht is an aromatic, and it is the most supreme of tobaccos.

I've never known anyone to think that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  58. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That it is an aromatic, or that it is the most supreme of tobaccos?

Topping flavor does not seem very intense on Royal Yacht, but it seems like something is there -- prune juice and cognac, or something -- to mimic the flavor of Perique.

Or maybe I am wrong. The only solution is to load a bowl of it immediately.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   clickklick, lloydcole, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow