Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Aromatic Tobaccos ... Hmm ... Give Them Another Shot?

(31 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by Kevin Godbee
  • Latest reply from virginialover
  1. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Is it time to re-visit aromatic pipe tobaccos? Fred Brown thinks so, and he nearly has me convinced. Here's an enjoyable read that has my mouth watering for a pipe.
    http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/the-pipe-pundit/aromatics-one-more-time/

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 4 months ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

After almost 30 years of smoking a pipe, every aromatic I smoke now tastes exactly as it smells. Not something I could have done in the first several years of smoking.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very good read, Kevin. I started with aros, like most of us likely did. I quickly found Black Frigate, which some don't necessarily consider an aro, but it did open my eyes to more English blends and then I tried Virginias, but through and through, I'm always coming back to find another great aro here and there. The cobs get a really good work out with all my new aros, but the experience is so worth it.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I absolutely suggest get in with aros to learn cadence and NOT get tongue bite. Then move to non-aros to learn leaf flavors. Once you get those down then revisit the aros and you'll get a lot more flavor out of the blends and they'll be much more enjoyable for you.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I'm definitely an English blend guy but every so often I get a hankering for something sweet. Cadence is very important with aromatics or I get burn.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, absolutely. I enjoy a well-balanced tobacco-forward aromatic, and occasionally a strongly flavored sweet, rum or whiskey. Non-aro blends are first in my heart, but I wouldn't miss the aromatic change of pace. Over ninety percent of pipe tobacco sales are aromatic, so it is the backbone of the industry and supports the non-aromatic blends; remember that.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...tried to edit this back in, but the system says the post is too old ... so, many old time pouch and tub over-the-counter blends are subtle aromatics. Even that old stalwart Granger is technically aromatic. The PC catalog says the flavoring is molasses; imagine that.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

. Over ninety percent of pipe tobacco sales are aromatic, so it is the backbone of the industry and supports the non-aromatic blends; remember that

I think Russ posted that on here recently, and I found it very interesting that it was so disproportionate.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, that's Russ O.'s stat, but I couldn't remember the exact figure, I think over ninety-five percent. I think non-pipe-smoking spouses are probably voting!

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank Goodness that 90% who are smoking aromatics aren't also competing for Esoterica, Rattray's, Gawith, Germain's, et al!!! It's hard enough to get them already.

I find that I enjoy aromatics more now than when I started smoking a pipe, even though I only smoke them maybe 10% of the time. IMHO, aromatics are the most difficult style to smoke due to the high moisture content and sticky toppings. Only after experience was I able to properly pack and smoke aromatics so that I could keep them lit, not burn my tongue, and actually taste the flavors.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

IDK Craig, Esoterica, Germains, Rattrays, and Gawith all have some very good aromatics. I've been smoking an aromatic in the morning with my coffee for years now. I have been enjoying exploring all of the different vanilla blends. It's interesting how different companies interpret the vanilla differently.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  12. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been smoking just long enough that some aromatic tobaccos are starting to taste great. I still don't want a really damp tobacco, but there are good ones out there.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They’ve always been a small part of my rotation, but also always a regular part.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good read. I agree completely. I too am at the point in my journey where aromatics are rotating back in sometimes.

Neal
    Posted 4 months ago #
  15. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"You can have your English blends,
    you can smoke them by the pound,
    but the only blends for the piper true
    are aros all around!"

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  16. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I still don't want a really damp tobacco, but there are good ones out there.

Try packing them very lightly Nathan and they'll perform better than you think, even when fairly damp.

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Embers. I'll give that a whirl if I have any overly damp ones.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Thanks Embers. I'll give that a whirl if I have any overly damp ones.

Let me know what you think. Took me years to work that one out.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well maybe you have saved me some time, Duane. Lol. Little victories.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

Is it time to re-visit aromatic pipe tobaccos?

Already a step of ahead of you.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

My seller is roughly 50% Virginia families, 25% aromatics, 20% burleys, and 5% Latakia families. I'm well into the aro game.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Nice responses guys. Glad you liked the piece, and appreciate the input.

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

After discovering slightly cased and untopped aka.known as "natural" tobaccos, there's no coming back for me. I might indulge, very, very rarely, in flavored blends like SG Cob Plug or St.Bruno Flake but I'll never have another OTC aromatic in my life. The chemical enhancement, the dampness and the horrible aftertaste...just no.

"You can have your English blends,
    you can smoke them by the pound,
    but the only blends for the piper true
    are aros all around!"

Then I'm not a true piper I guess.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll never have another OTC aromatic in my life. The chemical enhancement, the dampness and the horrible aftertaste.

Of course, everyone can and should smoke what they want and like but I have a question.

This horrible aftertaste you talk of, did you realize it only after you smoked something other than an OTC or was it always there? Do you get this horrible aftertaste with all OTC tobaccos?

If it was always present to you, why did you keep smoking it?

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 4 months ago #
  26. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

"This horrible aftertaste you talk of, did you realize it only after you smoked something other than an OTC or was it always there? Do you get this horrible aftertaste with all OTC tobaccos?

If it was always present to you, why did you keep smoking it?"

An ashtray aftertaste when something synthetic/chemical is added to the tobacco. This taste is always there when I smoke heavily chemical blends like Half and Half or Captain Black per example. And yes I started with Aros as any uninformed pipe smoker so after graduating to Virginia flakes and Latakia mixtures then the occasional OTC was a nasty experience so I stopped using them. It might have something to do with the quality of the new production Aromatics. The ones from my youth weren't so aggressive with the chemical enhancement if I remember well.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're a true piper, VA-lover, just not a piper true.

Now, levity aside, allow me to suggest something: you seem to be equating OTCs with aromatics. While those OTCs you named are aromatics, not all aros are OTCs. I avoid OTCs like the plague. There's a reason why I change the spelling of a very popular one: CRAPtain Black. Even many of Lane's offerings are basically OTCs, or were meant as competition to them. BCA is a famous offender: again, there's a reason why I call it Bad Chemical Aftertaste.

Before you judge and dismiss aromatics you have to smoke the real quality ones. Stuff like Sillem's, Vauen, and even a number of MB's aromatic blends. You can't compare a cheap piece of work like CB to Sillem's Blau. Quality aromatics are not goopy—they're not laden with tons of PG, they don't scald your tongue by default, or any other nastiness you hear lots of pipers who smoke nothing but OTC aros complaining about.

Beating a blue horse, take Sillem's Blau for example: it smells delicious, it tastes as it smells, and yet the taste is so gentle—not in-your-face forward that it saturates and irritates your tongue after a few puffs.

Ditch the mass market and join the class market.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lately I smoked two aromatics that I really enjoyed. Rattray's Blossom Temptation and HU Moroccan Bazaar. Both a real delight.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 4 months ago #
  29. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just now smoking The true classic Aromatic, the mightly Clan* original,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 4 months ago #
  30. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lately I smoked two aromatics that I really enjoyed. Rattray's Blossom Temptation and HU Moroccan Bazaar. Both a real delight.

HU makes some amazing flavored tobacco’s, my favorite being their scented blends such as Sissinghurst, Daddy Gefftl and even Hadde’s Best Irish (a lighter scented RR). I’ve got more on the way now as I happened upon a flash sale at Esterval’s. Got Salty Dogs for $6.60 a pouch, St. Bruno Flake was also going for $6.60 a pouch. Got Daddy Gefftl and Sissinghurst for under $5 a tin and I even got the 100 gram tins of Directors Cut & Hadde’s Best Irish for a little over $10 a tin. I looked the following morning and the sale was over so I’m glad I made a large haul when I did. Their prices are still very nice even when not on sale so they are still worth checking out, it’s my go to for Salty Dogs as even off sale they can be had for under $10 a pouch.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

"You're a true piper, VA-lover, just not a piper true.

Now, levity aside, allow me to suggest something: you seem to be equating OTCs with aromatics. While those OTCs you named are aromatics, not all aros are OTCs. I avoid OTCs like the plague. There's a reason why I change the spelling of a very popular one: CRAPtain Black. Even many of Lane's offerings are basically OTCs, or were meant as competition to them. BCA is a famous offender: again, there's a reason why I call it Bad Chemical Aftertaste.

Before you judge and dismiss aromatics you have to smoke the real quality ones. Stuff like Sillem's, Vauen, and even a number of MB's aromatic blends. You can't compare a cheap piece of work like CB to Sillem's Blau. Quality aromatics are not goopy—they're not laden with tons of PG, they don't scald your tongue by default, or any other nastiness you hear lots of pipers who smoke nothing but OTC aros complaining about.

Beating a blue horse, take Sillem's Blau for example: it smells delicious, it tastes as it smells, and yet the taste is so gentle—not in-your-face forward that it saturates and irritates your tongue after a few puffs.

Ditch the mass market and join the class market."

I don't equate OTC with Aromatics, Italy has Comune and Forte that are Kentucky mixtures without any topping and France has Bergerac, St.Claude, Caporal that has no or very little casing. All OTC tobaccos in these countries. My problem comes with the Aros themselves, even if of quality I get bored with them. I prefer the Virginia, Perique, Latakia and Oriental tobacco taste to added toppings like fruits, alcohols and the like.

I've had my fair share of quality tobaccos and nowadays, I draw the line to flavored British style tobaccos like SG Cob Plug or St.Bruno Flake. But even that means maybe 2-4 smokes a year. My pipe tobacco journey has made the round trip. My taste buds are set and since I'm not an everyday smoker, I'm concentrating on what I consider quality. I'm not judgemental about Aro smokers, the important thing is that people manage to find what they like and enjoy it for a long time.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bouwser, headhunter, buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique