Aromatic Tobaccos And The Importance Of Room Note.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I wonder how many pipe smokers only smoke aromatic blends so as to appease their significant other's sensitivities?
I often see aromatics being advertised as having a wonderful room note as though that is just as important as the actual taste of the tobacco. To me personally, I couldn't give a fig what the room note smells like, it's the taste of the tobacco that is of greater importance to me.
If I want my room to smell like roses, vanilla, plum pudding, cherry delight or whatever then I will light an incense stick or two.
I happen to think of myself as being rather lucky inasmuch as living alone I can smoke what I like, when I like and where I like. I have no one to please other than myself.
By all accounts, the majority of the blends I smoke (non aromatic) don't have a particularly pleasant room note which has me wondering how many smokers out there only smoke aromatic blends because they 'have to' just for the sake of family harmony.
If this is so I am not saying it is right or wrong, just that perhaps some smokers could well be missing out on some stunning blends that though lacking a sweet room note are in fact excellent tobacco flavoured blends.
Just a thought :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I am mostly a non-aromatic smoker, but I do keep several aromatic blends on hand for when I get the urge. I don't smoke aromatics because their more socially excepted then non-aromatics. I smoke aromatics because to me they taste good. The pleasant room note is just a plus. I have some aromatics that the wife just hates and I'll usually be politely asked to smoke them outside. Bottom line is that I smoke any blend, regardless of whether it's aromatic or non-aromatic, because I enjoy it, plain and simple.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Room note is relative to me; I choose to only smoke outside (even if it means something of a winter hiatus). My wife often joins me outside and will frequently sit down-wind to catch the wisp of smoke as it passes.
Admittedly, I started smoking aros because I mistakenly thought they would taste better and eschewed non-aros due to a "bad" first experience with a hideous can of Half & Half. In the past year, I have progressed to non-aros or blends based on what I've read here and find more flavor in my smokes.
My wife respects both aros and non-aros now and I get to explore so much more since I don't settle into one particular experience. I will state that I am favoring my non-aros significantly more than I thought I would.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I don't smoke aromatics because their more socially excepted then non-aromatics."
Wow, social acceptance of smoke aside, what about acceptability of three errors in one sentence 8O
"I smoke aromatics because to me they taste good."
I have tried to smoke aromatics myself and every time I was looking for a tobacco flavour that simply wasn't there :?
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm not much of an aromatic smoker, although there are a few that I smoke from time to time. I will admit that when company is around, I try to smoke something that I feel may have a more neutral room note, as opposed to a heavy English, for example.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, you tind to piss peeple of whin u due that. Not me, as I never make misteaks in grammer or spelling!
I have yet to smoke a particular tobacco to please another. But I never say never!

I'm just messin' with ewe, Jay. :puffy:
My daughters years back asked me to not smoke my pipe in the mornings while cooking their breakfast, nor the car ride to school. They were getting harassed by their little Nazi school chums for smelling like they were up all night at a cigar filled poker game. So, I reluctantly started smoking aromatics in the mornings. Vanilla Flake is my favorite, and yes I can taste it, somewhat. But, I will experiment with new one to smoke while getting the kids off to school.

Now my oldest is off at college and my youngest is getting closer to graduation, but I still seem to enjoy that first aromatic smoke of the day with a cup of coffee. But, after all of the kids are out of the house, I will decide then whether I will stick to aros or move on to something else.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Not me, as I never make misteaks in grammer or spelling!"
I would disagree John, there is a huge difference twixt 'leaching' and 'leeching'!
Besides, there is no reason to be pi$$ed off about correct English, it is something we all learned at school.
Regards,
Jay.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I'm still looking for an aromatic that I can smoke daily during the winter which has a nice room note for those around me. It's not something I have to do, it's a matter of keeping a pleasant atmosphere indoors when it's too damned cold to smoke outside or open the windows. I prefer VAs and VaPers but they can make a closed room smell like cigarettes. I still smoke them, just not as much as I do in the summer. Oddly, my wife really likes the smell of latakia but I can't stand smoking it. While room note is somewhat important to me in certain circumstances, I could not smoke aromatics exclusively.

Cliff_K

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2016
Ferron, Utah
My introduction to this hobby started with my purchasing samples of about a dozen different aromatics. I think being a menthol cigarette smoker for 20 years might have had something to do with their appeal to me. I couldn't really taste all the flavors and nuances in a non aero yet either. At any rate, some of the aeros I tried I liked and most I didn't. Thanks to this forum and generous members, I've had the chance to get to know the difference between an overly sweet, goopy mess of an aero vs a nice "mild" for lack of better word, aero that's toppings and or casings play off the natural tobacco flavors. I've also been getting introduced and educated as to what a really nice non-aero is and am finding I am starting to taste the subtle complexities in them and find them more enjoyable to me overall. I know all this isn't true for everyone and that's OK. We all have our likes and dislikes and I'm still finding mine, but I think it will include mild aeros, non-aeros and the occasional tin of cult blood red moon lol.

Oh, almost forgot. I don't smoke in the house for various personal reasons and though I do take note of the room note of what I'm smoking, flavor is more important at this moment to me. It helps some what that my wife is a cigarette smoker so just about anything I smoke is guaranteed to smell better lol. :)

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Although I am always baffled when people say that Virginias make a room smell like cigarettes. My wife, and she is a recovering tobacco nazi, says that they smell herbally or tea-like. VaPers have a more acrid smell, but still nothing like cigarettes. But, to each their own.
Up here our cigs are 100% Virginia tobacco and smell quite different from American cigarettes.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I smoke mainly all aromatic blends, and love them. I have tried most of the others, and they are good but don't do it for me. So I go back to my blends. I still enjoy a good English now and then, but love my aromatic blends.I smell and taste them, so not sure what others may be doing different.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
There are a few Aromatics that I like and if I'm going to the cottage or camp I usually will take some along. At home when we have company I'll smoke an Aro as well. As far as not tasting an Aro blend why bother smoking it?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It seems that one usually starts smoking aromatics to appease the significant other/family. However, it seems also to grow on some people. Maybe it is sentimental, maybe it is actually enjoyed. Most of the other aromatic smokers seem to like it to get away from cigarettes. I don't know, I think we are all just different, though. Aromatics don't due it for me, but that doesn't mean they aren't good tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.