Tags:   

Aromatic Tobacco

(39 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by bigboss93
  • Latest reply from hawk60ce
  1. bigboss93

bigboss93

Login to Send PM

Howdy Forum! I'm new to this site, and I decided to join after having a few questions on pipe smoking. So far I've smokin aromatic pipe tobacco and so far they realy have a bland and slightly bitter taste, although they do have a good smell to them. But I'm looking for something that has a good taste along with a good smell. Granted most of the tobacco I have had are drug store tobacco such as Captain Black.

Thanks in advance!
    Josh W.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. bbauer

bbauer

Login to Send PM

Hey bigboss.
    I am pretty new to pipe smoking too. I started less than a year ago, but have only been serious about it for a few months. I too started with OTC tobacco such as Captain Black. My first piece of advice would be to try to find a Tobacco shop (B&M) near your house. If you do that, they will be able to not only recommend tobaccos, but they will probably let you smell, touch, and even sample some of their selection! This is what I found most helpful when starting.
    My personal recommendation would be Frog Morton. It was the first non-aromatic I smoked and it was great. You should also try some of the other popular blends such as 1Q or anything else people on here recommend. Good luck, and happy puffing!

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. bigboss93

bigboss93

Login to Send PM

Thanks bbauer I will try that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been wanting to try Lane 1Q, too

The best aromatic I've had so far is MacBaren's 7 Seas Royal Blend

“ Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please. ”
    — Pythagoras
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. bbauer

bbauer

Login to Send PM

Zanthal i just sent you a pm.....

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You did? Don't think it made it.

Nevermind.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

1Q for sure is a good one to start with. I would also recommend Mc Clelland's Deep Hollow. If it bites you too much from the first get go let it sit in the tin untouched for a month, pack up another bowl and jar up the tin. Morton is a nice one as well for sure. Like Bauer said though, if you do indeed have a local pipe shop find it, visit it, and start trying stuff from their bulk selection. I haven't been to a B&M yet that would not let you freely pack bowls of their bulks trying before you're buying.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. bigboss93

bigboss93

Login to Send PM

I'm also wondering do english or virginia blends give better flavor then aromatics?

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. bbauer

bbauer

Login to Send PM

i think it really just depends on your preference and palate. i have found some english blends to be really bland, while others are quite flavorful and same with virginias. but even when it comes to aromatics i find some are great and others just are not as good. like i said earlier just start tasting whatever you think might be good. worst case is you dont like it and you have an excuse to try something new.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. tobakenist

tobakenist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Grab a tin of Peterson's Holiday Season while it is still available, tons of taste to this one.

Regards Ken,
    I am not young enough to know everything.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm also wondering do english or virginia blends give better flavor then aromatics?

First, welcome to the forum and the world of pipe smoking.

"Better" is incredibly subjective. I personally do not care for American style aromatics, and am generally quite cool about aromatics anyway. so I don't smoke 'em any more. You have lots of guys here who like 1Q, MacB's 7 Seas series, and the Frogs - I'm not one of them, and would not recommend them to anyone - so, to my palate, yes, they are significantly better. (A lot of "drugstore" aros rely on low grades of tobacco and heavy flavoring to disguise that.) YMMV,however.

English style blends and Virginias, on the other hand, are not flavored as a rule, so what you are tasting is the flavors of the tobacco. Sometimes you will read comments from folks who think they are tasting additives, when they just aren't aware that a well-crafted blend is giving them that taste. (The recent example was the gentleman here who thought McClelland's Virginia blends were topped, when it was actually the way the blends were processed.)

Pure virginia blends tend to be subtle - they don't have big, bold flavors, as a rule, and will require some time and patience to appreciate. I am relatively new to these blends - past 6 or 7 years - but they are now a regular feature of my rotation.

"English" blends feature latakia in varying amounts, which has a smokey,leathery taste. They may or may not feature other oriental or Balkan tobaccos. Some of them are very full flavored, while others are more subtle. The room note may not be pleasing to someone who doesn't enjoy these blends, so you may have complaints from your SO. There's an old joke about these blends - "The worse they smell, the better they taste."

This has been a kinda long response, so I will close by saying what I always do: "Buy the best tobacco you can afford." If you continue smoking aros, try some of the lighter, Danish style blends, that are topped, not heavily cased - or even cased blends with higher grade leaf. Have fun!

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. pipedisciple

pipedisciple

Login to Send PM

Liking 1-Q and MacBarens Royal Blend for aro's HH Highland Blend for non aro. Welcome and good smoking!

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. riptide

Charles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would also recommend 1Q it is available in bulk but you local B&M may have it under a house name. I am also fond of MacBaren Aro's and Most of the Dunhill line for English styles I recommend Early morning pipe as a intro to English as it is mild in the Latakia.

Charles D. Wilemon
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. jaybird

jaybird

Login to Send PM

I enjoy Captain Black white as well.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

nanotech471

Login to Send PM

Moltodolce by sutliff

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. tomdavis

Sundown Piper

Login to Send PM

I agree with Flyfishin that McClelland's Deep Hollow is very nice VA. Wife came me a tin for Christmas and it is a cut above many others--IMHO.

All things I undertake must contain integrity, compassion, elegance and grace.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Larry's Blend from Pipes & Cigars, Best ive had so far

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. bigboss93

bigboss93

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the replys guys! I have just one last question that's some what off topic. I know that if you light a pipe too hot or smoke it too hot the flaver is usually ruined, would a match be best to light a pipe since the temp of the flame is lower?

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like matches, but nothing wrong with a lighter. Just don't use those "torch" type cigar lighters - bad for the pipes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the 1Q, bbauer

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

nsfisher, you are becoming for Larry's Blend what Lawrence is for Lane's 1-Q!!!

I agree though, it's a great blend.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I switched from Captain Black to Lane 1-Q and I've been very satisfied. I also like the 7 Seas Royal and Altadis Creme Brulee. Nat Sherman Riverside Whiskey is a mild, not too aro, aro blend which is definitely worth trying.

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. bigboss93

bigboss93

Login to Send PM

Thanks again guys for all the help.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For aromatics I'd reccommend any of the 7 Seas line from MacBaren as well as their Vanilla Cream (loose or flake cut both are good). Also I'd say to pick up a tin of Peterson's Holiday Seaosn 2011 if it's still available as well as their Special Reserve 2011 blend. Both great aros.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. loneredtree

loneredtree

Login to Send PM

For an aromatic that has flavor with room note I like W.O. Larsen Signature.

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable. Mark Twain

“Very few people are focusing on the potential damage this ill-conceived and hastily assembled homage to the ability of bureaucrats to conceive of all manner of problems where problems don't exist then apply solutions to those problems that only create new problems without solving the original problems at all will bring to many sectors.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not big on aromatics, but I will definitely second the recommendation for W.O. Larsen Signature Vintage Mixture. Also, Amphora Full Aroma and Amphora Regular. Again, the Dutch style aromatics seem to rely on a formula of lightly perfuming high quality tobacco while American aromatics seem to steep low to average grade tobaccos in casing sauce.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After giving it a thorough sampling, I can highly recommend Lane 1Q ...

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Again, the Dutch style aromatics seem to rely on a formula of lightly perfuming high quality tobacco while American aromatics seem to steep low to average grade tobaccos in casing sauce.

This goes for the Danish style aromatics as well.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

welcome sir, as you can tell the great guys here are always willing to help out. i do not need to add my 2 cents worth of comments on tobac, however i would suggest to keep your pipe (s) clean on the inside for ture tobacco taste.

good luck to you sir.

mike.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. vroomfondel

vroomfondel

Login to Send PM

I'd second the vote for McClelland Deep Hollow. Very nice and sweet tobacco with a lovely room note. This particular tobacco hasn't been sauced to death as well so you still get a lovely VA taste.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. clanobucklin

clanobucklin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you want more bang for your buck - contact pipesandcigars.com and order an 8 ounce bag of Altadis Black Spice - it is super cheap and it smokes wonderfully well for a value priced Aromatic. The flavoring is cinnamon and nutmeg and you get a very cool, dry smoke which is an added bonus since some Aros burn very wet and can bite.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you want more bang for your buck - contact pipesandcigars.com and order an 8 ounce bag of Altadis Black Spice

Personally, I would advise getting an ounce first and seeing if you like it. Yeah, it'll cost more per ounce, but that's better than getting stuck with something you don't like. I did that late last summer with their English blends, and found some real winners - and some I don't want to try again.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. skylonrow

skylonrow

Login to Send PM

My favourite aromatic so far has got to be Peterson Connoisseurs Choice, its quite a sweet tobacco, and gets great reviews. Either that or Sunset Breeze.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. classicgeek

classicgeek

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My advice: sample lots of different tobaccos. Some you'll like, others you won't. You won't be able to define why you like 'em or not at first. Put the ones you don't like away in sealed mason jars. Your tastes might change and something you didn't care for at first might appeal later. The tobacco will stay good for years and will likely mellow. Or you can put the stronger aromatics out as potpourri.

Simon

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Altadis Creme Brulee smoked a whole lot better after I had jarred it for a couple of weeks. It's pretty moist stuff. I'd reccommenj jarring any bulk aros.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson Connoisseurs Choice is very nice . I like Sillems blends as well . I still like PS Swiss and would smoke more of it but it is getting hard to find . You would be hard pressed to find a better line of ARO blends than those of Peter Stokkebye . They are inexpensive and readily available in bulk both on line and at the brick and morter stores . A little of each will help you find your way to a favorite flavor or flavors . Then you can branch out from there . A lot of people like http://www.boswellpipes.com/ although I have yet to try them .Have fun along your journey .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 2 years ago #
  37. oystrpir8

oystrpir8

Login to Send PM

I have been trying to smoke two bowls consecutively whenever I can in order to build my comparisons. Last night I tried my first English blend with Latakia. It's a whole different animal. Kind of like comparing a zebra to a horse. There is a reason these are called non aromatics. I tend toward aromatics in my tastes and my favorite so far has been Black Gold from Hilandscigars.com. It NEVER bites, is pleasant and mild and has an wonderful room note. That website also offers a sampler of their best aromatics and all have excellent reviews. My next order will definitely be this sample pack. BTW - don't mix up their black gold and Black Gold Plus with OTC Captain Black. They are not the same thing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I don't always smoke aromatics but when I do, I prefer Savinelli Cavendish"

Seriously though, this stuff is pretty good. I generally find aros fairly one-dimensional and unsatisfying but a few of the better one's I've tried:

1. Savinelli Cavendish

2. Gatlinburlier Mountain Mall Mix (aged/dried)

3.1Q

4. McClelland Holiday Spirit annual vintages

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. hawk60ce

hawk60ce

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i know this thread is fairly old, but i have to throw a recommendation out for boswells aros. christmas cookie is amazing!

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tbradsim1, conlejm, edgreen, northernneil, greengrass, yaddy306, ssjones, andya27, patiobum