PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboss93

Lurker
Jan 3, 2012
Howdy Forum! I'm new to this site, and I decided to join after having a few questions on pipe smoking. So far I've smokin aromatic pipe tobacco and so far they realy have a bland and slightly bitter taste, although they do have a good smell to them. But I'm looking for something that has a good taste along with a good smell. Granted most of the tobacco I have had are drug store tobacco such as Captain Black.
Thanks in advance!

Josh W.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
Hey bigboss.

I am pretty new to pipe smoking too. I started less than a year ago, but have only been serious about it for a few months. I too started with OTC tobacco such as Captain Black. My first piece of advice would be to try to find a Tobacco shop (B&M) near your house. If you do that, they will be able to not only recommend tobaccos, but they will probably let you smell, touch, and even sample some of their selection! This is what I found most helpful when starting.

My personal recommendation would be Frog Morton. It was the first non-aromatic I smoked and it was great. You should also try some of the other popular blends such as 1Q or anything else people on here recommend. Good luck, and happy puffing!

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
i think it really just depends on your preference and palate. i have found some english blends to be really bland, while others are quite flavorful and same with virginias. but even when it comes to aromatics i find some are great and others just are not as good. like i said earlier just start tasting whatever you think might be good. worst case is you dont like it and you have an excuse to try something new.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm also wondering do english or virginia blends give better flavor then aromatics?
First, welcome to the forum and the world of pipe smoking.
"Better" is incredibly subjective. I personally do not care for American style aromatics, and am generally quite cool about aromatics anyway. so I don't smoke 'em any more. You have lots of guys here who like 1Q, MacB's 7 Seas series, and the Frogs - I'm not one of them, and would not recommend them to anyone - so, to my palate, yes, they are significantly better. (A lot of "drugstore" aros rely on low grades of tobacco and heavy flavoring to disguise that.) YMMV,however.
English style blends and Virginias, on the other hand, are not flavored as a rule, so what you are tasting is the flavors of the tobacco. Sometimes you will read comments from folks who think they are tasting additives, when they just aren't aware that a well-crafted blend is giving them that taste. (The recent example was the gentleman here who thought McClelland's Virginia blends were topped, when it was actually the way the blends were processed.)
Pure virginia blends tend to be subtle - they don't have big, bold flavors, as a rule, and will require some time and patience to appreciate. I am relatively new to these blends - past 6 or 7 years - but they are now a regular feature of my rotation.
"English" blends feature latakia in varying amounts, which has a smokey,leathery taste. They may or may not feature other oriental or Balkan tobaccos. Some of them are very full flavored, while others are more subtle. The room note may not be pleasing to someone who doesn't enjoy these blends, so you may have complaints from your SO. There's an old joke about these blends - "The worse they smell, the better they taste."
This has been a kinda long response, so I will close by saying what I always do: "Buy the best tobacco you can afford." If you continue smoking aros, try some of the lighter, Danish style blends, that are topped, not heavily cased - or even cased blends with higher grade leaf. Have fun! :puffy:

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
Liking 1-Q and MacBarens Royal Blend for aro's HH Highland Blend for non aro. Welcome and good smoking! :puffy:

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I would also recommend 1Q it is available in bulk but you local B&M may have it under a house name. I am also fond of MacBaren Aro's and Most of the Dunhill line for English styles I recommend Early morning pipe as a intro to English as it is mild in the Latakia.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
I agree with Flyfishin that McClelland's Deep Hollow is very nice VA. Wife came me a tin for Christmas and it is a cut above many others--IMHO.

bigboss93

Lurker
Jan 3, 2012
Thanks for the replys guys! I have just one last question that's some what off topic. I know that if you light a pipe too hot or smoke it too hot the flaver is usually ruined, would a match be best to light a pipe since the temp of the flame is lower?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I like matches, but nothing wrong with a lighter. Just don't use those "torch" type cigar lighters - bad for the pipes.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
nsfisher, you are becoming for Larry's Blend what Lawrence is for Lane's 1-Q!!! :mrgreen:
I agree though, it's a great blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.